KSP Orbital Calculator [V0.10.1] - Now with selectable Celestrial Bodies

I seem to get an error upon starting the program.

'Failed to load main-class manifest attribute from

C:\users\kai\desktop\kspcalculator\looks-2.1.4.jar'

Help would be greatly appreciated.

btw. first post! Great forums and great game!

GREAT tool!

One question, what is the Velocity Vector in the Launch Orbit tab? Where can i see that in-game? and how do i enter it? degrees?

At the moment the Launch Orbit Calculator is a big 'operation pending' thing. In actual launch orbit calculations its the angle 9o degrees from the position over ground...

I had hoped that its the HDG readout, but I don't really think so...

So while the calculator is technically correct without the right angle reading for the velocity vector at burnout the calculator is pretty much useless at the moment...

Maybe this is a bit useful for understanding... :-[

fig4-07.gif

EDIT:

Honored to see this little tool stickied. :)

I seem to get an error upon starting the program.

'Failed to load main-class manifest attribute from

C:\users\kai\desktop\kspcalculator\looks-2.1.4.jar'

Help would be greatly appreciated.

btw. first post! Great forums and great game!

Did you unpack my calculator?

like the other guy on this thread, still confused about why the target orbit insertion always matches your velocity at the highest/lowest point of your eliptical orbit. surely this velocity would only keep you on the transfer orbit and not onto the new circular orbit?

a bit of explaining would be awesome :)

cheers

Hmm... I think I may need to modify the calculator again... Just noted some explanations about that...

Oh well...

Gonna implement an elliptic orbit calculator anyway and a bug hunt is not much of a problem.

Did you unpack my calculator?

I downloaded the newest version and unpacked it in a folder on my desktop. When I then double click the file 'looks-2.1.4' I get the error message.

€: Oh. I just found the problem. WinRar identified the downloaded file as a .rar and I didn't see that. Thanks anyway.

At the moment the Launch Orbit Calculator is a big 'operation pending' thing. In actual launch orbit calculations its the angle 9o degrees from the position over ground...

I had hoped that its the HDG readout, but I don't really think so...

fig4-07.gif

That angle should be 90° - the elevation of the current velocity vector as displayed on the attitude indicator. Problem is that number isn't displayed in KSP.

Could you give some advice on how to make an Hohlmann Transer? I had a look at the wiki (kerbal and the original one) for the last hour, but I still haven't figured out how to interpret the numbers.

If I have understood the concept correctly I should apply thrust until I have reached a certain speed, then wait a certain amount of time and then apply thrust in the opposite direction until my speed is correct, in order to change the orbit (in this case from a lower one to a higher one). What I don't understand is which number in your program corresponds to what action.

If I, for example, want to change from a 100km to a 120km orbit, what is it exactly I need to do?

I was similarly confused til on a hunch I compared the numbers from the calculator to the Table provided here: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=647.0

If you look at the value for 'Initial' on the upper most pair labelled 'Velocity for Transfer Orbit Injection' you'll see that it matches the circular orbit speed for the particular elevation entered. This is your starting point and the speed you should be at since a Hohmann Transfer starts from a circular orbit.

Looking at that same first pair of numbers the 'Final' figure is the speed you're supposed to accelerate to and kill your burn at once you reach it. The part in the middle with the triangle is the difference between those two speeds. Essentially its the amount you have to accelerate.

In the second pair titled 'Velocity for Target Orbit Injection' the numbers are labelled the same but mean different things.

'Initial' is now the speed you should be at once you've reached the new orbit. 'Final' is the speed you are supposed to decelerate or accelerate to with a fast burn. Achieving that speed should put you in a circular orbit at the entered elevation.

Now I'm just speaking from personal experience. I figured it out on my own. I don't know the tricks. For instance if I reach the target elevation but I'm not at the stated speed it says I will be at do I burn to decelerate THEN or do I wait until I'm at the stated speed before deceleration? I'm not sure.

Someone care to comment on my uncertainty?

v. 0.6 bug report:

Elliptic calculator treats input parameters as 'kilometers' by default, until the radio button is switched from its default position of 'meters.' Everything functions correctly afterwards, so it looks like an initialization thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.