The Versatility Marathon Challenge

I don't understand this...1 satellite for "both equatorial and polar orbits"...

You need 2 satellites to complete the challenge, 1 in orbit around both moons. However, if you want extra points, you need one satellite to orbit the planet horizontally and one satellite to orbit vertically. So two satellites orbit the moon, one orbits along the equator and one orbits perpendicular to the first one.

Like this: There are two satellites, but one is a polar orbit and one is an equatorial orbit.

2xGEO_3D.jpg

Here is my satellite payload module, it carries 4 satellites and I can put 2 of these on my core craft easily, so 8 satellites total in my payload. Each satellite is 1.25 tons.

52B9EF1C1C3E4C2580D9E359ED467BCEDC73E5FE

Here is the satellite on board the NASA Delta IV launch vehicle.

E402BCC3719DDBF0E093D111AADA5A1E0B54A4EE

Edited by 700NitroXpress

I added the NASA style payload launch vehicles to the points list and downgraded some of the other points based on feedback. If you use a NASA launch vehicle in the list that's posted, just name the launch vehicle you use and post a screenshot of it. Like the one above this post.

I don't know. But it seems unfair to other (me) that you change your points, base on 'others' feed back.

Since, I've already started / finish the design.

Especially, you stated use Nasa style lifter (as you provided), you design it, you use it, and you put it +20 points? Seems that you given yourself free point?

My 4 satellites, 4 Lander, and Minmus,Mun lander/lifter.

eBU6ZEH.jpg

Kerbin Lifter. (Light 40tons categories).

r8DYTZ1.jpg

Edited by Sirine

I don't know. But it seems unfair to other (me) that you change your points, base on 'others' feed back.

Since, I've already started / finish the design.

Especially, you stated use Nasa style lifter (as you provided), you design it, you use it, and you put it +20 points? Seems that you given yourself free point?

Well feedback is important and is still being considered since this is the first mission still. So if I need to Iron out the rules I'll do it now and then they're set in stone. I did add the NASA parts, but I can't be on the leaderboards, the leaderboards are for everyone else that competes in the challenge. For the first mission. I'll officially state that the NASA parts change will not be included in the point scoring system for the sake of fairness to everyone. What you have designed won't have to be changed. I also won't add the 20 points to myself. For future missions, I think the points are really good now for the way that they're set up and I don't intend on changing or adding anything else to the scoring system. I hope this makes you feel better for what you have designed and what will happen in the future for this challenge. Your craft are well designed for the mission and you're right, you shouldn't have to change them based on a decision that I made, mid mission.

Edited by 700NitroXpress

Ok I will resubmit a pic of the DX-1 without the docked sections and leave them behind on the first mission. Easy enough, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Yeah, I like the craft you designed and didn't want you to just throw it away, I just needed the screenshot submission and test run to comply with what is expected of everyone based on the rules. Thanks.

Make sure you guys keep track of what points apply to your ships. Shine, you would have +5 points already for not using jet engines. When you're done with your mission make sure you state what bonus points you're applying for based on "The Scores that will never change" section of the original post so I can add everything up easier for the leaderboards.

Well feedback is important and is still being considered since this is the first mission still. So if I need to Iron out the rules I'll do it now and then they're set in stone. I did add the NASA parts, but I can't be on the leaderboards, the leaderboards are for everyone else that competes in the challenge. For the first mission. I'll officially state that the NASA parts change will not be included in the point scoring system for the sake of fairness to everyone. What you have designed won't have to be changed. I also won't add the 20 points to myself. For future missions, I think the points are really good now for the way that they're set up and I don't intend on changing or adding anything else to the scoring system. I hope this makes you feel better for what you have designed and what will happen in the future for this challenge. Your craft are well designed for the mission and you're right, you shouldn't have to change them based on a decision that I made, mid mission.

Thanks for the consideration. I will update my status in a while. So far, I have :-

1) Design the satellites.

2) Design the rover.

3) Design the Mun lander and lifter.

4) Put together into a delivery craft.

5) Attach to my 40t lifter.

6) Send to LKO.

7) Rendezvous with the core-craft.

8) Docking done.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Sirine

1) Design the satellites.

2) Design the rover.

3) Design the Mun lander and lifter.

4) Put together into a delivery craft.

5) Attach to my 40t lifter.

6) Send to LKO.

7) Rendezvous with the core-craft.

8) Docking done.

What I mean is the things that would apply to the bonus points. So if so far, you've left no orbital debris, then you get that bonus, no jet engines. Things on that list would be helpful especially the no debris part because that's harder to verify.

Too late for me to join? I actually had my ship mostly done last night, but got too martini'd and fell asleep.

Universal%20Mk%20II.jpg

I'll post a video of the shakedown Munar cruise shortly.

TML

Edit: Oh yeah...ship details.

66 parts, 28.30t, 2608 m/s d-v

One Clamp-o-Tron docking port

One Clamp-o-Tron Sr. docking port

Four Clamp-o-Tron Jr. docking ports

Three crew with room for four passangers

Edited by ThreeMartiniLaunch

Yeah, I like the craft you designed and didn't want you to just throw it away, I just needed the screenshot submission and test run to comply with what is expected of everyone based on the rules. Thanks.

I will get that tomorrow when I get a chance to get back on the game and post the pics from that here. Honestly I will just undock it from its cargo module and leave it in orbit around Kerbin, it can more than easily complete the task to the Mun and back on its own. I may also bring the command/drive section down and do a minor refit, change out the docking port on the bottom with a different one, just so it can dock to my standard docking ports on the station I have at 150km orbit.

Can I restart the mission?......Cause, I littering too much. :)

Below are my points, please verify:-

1) Mission completed with 4 satellites deployed, 2 rovers on Minmus, 2 rovers on Mun. No refueling +150

2) 1 satellite on equatorial orbit, and 1 satellite on polar orbits for Minmus +10

3) 1 satellite on equatorial orbit, and 1 satellite on polar orbits for Mun +10

4) Not more than 2 satellites. +0

5) 3 Kerbals lands on a Minmus, 3 Kerbals land on Mun +30

6) Landing on equator only +0

7) 2 comm units on Minmus, 2 comm units on Mun +20

8) Comm units only weight not over weight. +0

Scores that will never change

3. Littering the system - You left space junk floating around in space = -5 points per whole part (a fuel tank with other stuff on it is one whole part)

1 lifter junk, 5 TR-18D Stack Separator (I only notice this rules, after completing the build): -30

6. Lonely rover - Your rover can't get back into orbit or is otherwise unretrievable = -5 points

2 rovers on Minmus, and 2 rovers on Mun, which unretrievable: -20

11. I know what I need - Complete a full mission without detaching any parts other than the mission critical ones = +25 points

I can't think of a situation you will actually fail this one.

12. Jet engines are for planes - Don't use jet engines to lift anything into space unless that jet engine is on an aircraft = +5 points

+5

150+10+10+30+20

-30,-20,+5

total score 175

@Sirine

The Lonely Rover penalty does not apply on this mission.

Thanks for the info.

Status Update:

Dropped 2 lander at Mun, near Armstrong Memorial. Today (Monday) gonna rendezvous with Orbiter-Core Craft, position the satellites and head back home.

Finally got the vessel I will use for this challenge.

Mods used, B9 parts, no funky engine parts or aero lift parts, just a couple of pylons and the command capsule, it weighs 3.5 tons but has 9.5 torque and a crew of 2 instead of the larger command capsule in the stock which has 15 torque and a crew of 3. But it has a better view.

It is mostly Ion engine powered and this is what I am going to do the challenge with if it is cool.

Edited by Hodo

I'm working on this one, but it's gonna take some extra time. I'm bringing eight satellites and that really boosts my part count and lags my system. I'm getting 2-3 FPS.

The raw recording of my five minute launch is eighteen minutes long...

I'm hoping things will improve when the last of the lifter is jettisoned.

TML

Finally got the vessel I will use for this challenge.

Mods used, B9 parts, no funky engine parts or aero lift parts, just a couple of pylons and the command capsule, it weighs 3.5 tons but has 9.5 torque and a crew of 2 instead of the larger command capsule in the stock which has 15 torque and a crew of 3. But it has a better view.

It is mostly Ion engine powered and this is what I am going to do the challenge with if it is cool.

@Hodo

Nice looking craft. Btw. you Imgur image...just remove the "#0" at the end. Will make it better.

@TML

Mun "Polar" Satellite recommend to release at high orbit, just the moment (jurney) from Minmus to Mun.

Or release from Mun surface. I'm having hard time to adjust to polar angle from equatorial. (at Mun orbit).

@TML

Mun "Polar" Satellite recommend to release at high orbit, just the moment (jurney) from Minmus to Mun.

Or release from Mun surface. I'm having hard time to adjust to polar angle from equatorial. (at Mun orbit).

Thanks for the heads up.

My satellites have around 3500 m/s delta-v. In testing, I got one into a 100km polar orbit around Kerbin from a 100km equatorial orbit.

From Low Mun Orbit, I'm pretty sure I could put one into a polar orbit around Ike. Maybe Laythe.

Cheers,

TML

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.