[PRJ] Deep modding - Why not a translation ?

MrTheGrox

Hello everybody,

I got an awesome (well, maybe not too awesome ;P) project. I want to create a mod which will translate the game in another language. French, Spanish, Martian, 1137, whatever you want.

For the moment there is just one, big, problem.

The game is not like Minecraft, or Skyrim, where you can easily make mods. In KSP, modding for new parts is reaaaaallly simple (I enjoy the devs who created this system of parts ;D) ; but doing deep modding, like changing settings, textures, texts, etc. is very hard. For the moment, no one tried to decompile the game or to make a SDK (there is already one existing but it is more like a Viewer of new parts before they are put in the game). So... it\'s complicated. Very.

I need help from people first, to answer my few questions :

- Can it be possible to mod inside the game ?

- What is the language of the game\'s code ?

- Have someone already created a tool for modding ?

- Where is located the data files ?

For the moment, my project is at his very beginning. But, I know that maaaany people who plays KSP are not all english-born, and would enjoy having the game in their language. I also know that a French community exist, and I\'m french (dédicace aux Français ;P), so the first release will be French. I say it now, for the moment, unless I find someone for translating, the first releases will be French and Spanish (the two other languages I know apart from English).

So if you find this project nice... Just look at it and try to find a way ! :)

- Modding goes through third party programs such as Blender and 3ds max.

- C++, and it uses unity as the engine.

- Blender is free: http://www.blender.org/

- KSP/Parts for the parts.

- Modding goes through third party programs such as Blender and 3ds max.

- C++, and it uses unity as the engine.

- Blender is free: http://www.blender.org/

- KSP/Parts for the parts.

Wrong. Unity supports a multitude of languages internally but C++ is not one of them. The game is made in Unity with scripts in C#.

Okey, right then. Can someone give me a link for the guy who translated the menu in Russian ? :)

Ah, and for the modding, I know how to create Parts (I should begin to create some to post on the forums), but thanks for recommanding me Blender :)

Guest gokille

1) Yep, it is possible

2) The game uses MSIL (.Net) or Mono (which is 'crossplatform .net'), There are many of languages which can work with .net i.e : c#, vb, c++ (managed), delphi.net, javascript, etc... main engine is writen in c++, .net libraries like a proxies... or something like that

3) I made a tool, that can edit unity resources, but not all, only someones lol

4) Main data files are in ksp_data, level0...n, engine in folder '\KSP_Data\Managed\'

1) Yep, it is possible

2) The game uses MSIL (.Net) or Mono (which is 'crossplatform .net'), There are many of languages which can work with .net i.e : c#, vb, c++ (managed), delphi.net, javascript, etc... main engine is writen in c++, .net libraries like a proxies... or something like that

3) I made a tool, that can edit unity resources, but not all, only someones lol

4) Main data files are in ksp_data, level0...n, engine in folder '\KSP_Data\Managed\'

No...it uses Unity. www.unity3d.com

Unity uses Mono (an open-source version of MS CIL) for scripting. However, assets (models, text, low-level scripts, etc) are stored in encrypted asset containers. So far, I\'ve seen no usable solution for decrypting these, so building a less-derpy-looking area around the launchpad is out of the question. Whether I can change planet LOD presentations is another thing.

Frequently, commercial application developers obfuscate the crap out of any binaries they produce. Notch uses ProGuard for Minecraft (which is built in Java). CIL apps have a multitude of choices for obfuscating produced binaries, and many of these are very good at their job, often causing decompilers to crash. I suspect Unity3d Pro uses this.

By the way, I suggest NOT decompiling the game without Squad\'s written permission. EULAs often contain clauses pertaining to decompiling binaries, and I\'m pretty sure that I\'d rather not lose my license to this very well-made game over a severe case of curiosity.

Yes, it is maybe the first thing I\'m gonna do ! :)

Thanks everyone, as a conclusion we can say it\'s written in .net wih Unity Engine, supporting C#...

Right, so then i\'m gonna begin the translation of parts in French, we will see after for deep modding !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.