[0.23.5] Realism Overhaul: ROv5.2 + Modlist for RSS 6/30/14

NathanKell

Recommended Mods for RSS and Required Settings:

(In addition to mods required by and supported by RO, mentioned above)

*Realistic Progression LITE Tech Tree by Medieval Nerd. Tech tree designed for the realism mods.

*CerberusRCAF's Ground Stations config for RemoteTech2: Drop the linked file in your RemoteTech2 folder, overwriting your old settings file.

*Environmental Visual Enhancements by rbray89.

*Frizzank's FASA pack, with RedAV8R's patches (see below).

*BobCat's Soviet Engines pack from the Historicals thread.

*asmi's ECLSS Life Support Mod. Here is my RealFuels config for it.

*Realism Overhaul Configs for various mods by Mct

*RedAV8R's Realism Patches for KerbX and LazTek (FASA patch included in RO).

*or also for LazTek, try Scripto23's LazTek patches

*Advanced Jet Engine by camlost: does for jet engines what FAR does for aerodynamics.

Edited by NathanKell

Thanks!

Um, they already are, engine-wise. And the tanks are MFS compatible, though still using 1.25-scale (which is fine). Same with radial-attachables--fine. In fact I'm not sure what isn't, other than NP's pods. Oh, does KW have batteries now?

Oh, and I haven't rescaled SRBs much yet, so if you want a 1m/2m/etc core solid, use a stretchy.

What I also really would like to see is a rescale of Tiberion's awesome Shuttle System Mod

Edit : Nevermind, Tiberion just reminded that his update will be due very soon and many launchers will be changed or even swapped so a rescale now would be stupid xD

Edited by DasBananenbrot
I failed at adding the link xD

They do, it's just handled my MFT only. When the new Realism Pack for BobCat's mods is released, you'll see the same there. In VAB, the stages show LF-Oxidizer, but they actually use LF-LOX (or UDMH-N2O2) like they should.

As much as I love this, I'm having some problems with it. I started with a clean install, then installed MFS RFRM, Stretchy SRB, Deadly Reentry, and RSS. Then I extracted the RO content into GameData, and removed the MFS engines.cfg file that's mentioned.

Everything works perfectly (ran the game after every mod install) until I get to installing this one (RO), at which point my 3-man pod, large orange tank, and rockomax engine are all different diameters (should all be same). What am I screwing up?

Amazing! I really want to just discontinue playing the vanilla system but I can't for the life of me get something with enough delta v to even get into LEO. I even used the real size Mercury/Gemini mod with the recommended flight path in mechjeb and would just run out of fuel at the end of the gravity turn. The small upper stage engine isn't nearly powerful enough to circularize. I've tried everything and can't even get into orbit. I've double checked that I've installed everything correctly so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've also noticed an issue with coms not working in career mode for some unexplained reason. It says my antenna is "Locked" even after unlocking the second tier antenna. Overall amazing start! Any chance you could post a video of some basic rocket to LEO showing the engine thrust & fuel tank values? Once again, I love this but I'm not sure if I have the correct realism settings since its impossible for me to get to orbit.

Some bugs (I think) I've encountered:

-Antennae not working in career mode.

-Inexplicable loss of control on launch pad (cant start engines, release clamps, etc.) Restarting the game fixes this.

-Part Diameters out of whack. Seems that fuel tanks and engines were downsized whereas decouplers and pods were not.

Amazing! I really want to just discontinue playing the vanilla system but I can't for the life of me get something with enough delta v to even get into LEO. I even used the real size Mercury/Gemini mod with the recommended flight path in mechjeb and would just run out of fuel at the end of the gravity turn. The small upper stage engine isn't nearly powerful enough to circularize. I've tried everything and can't even get into orbit. I've double checked that I've installed everything correctly so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've also noticed an issue with coms not working in career mode for some unexplained reason. It says my antenna is "Locked" even after unlocking the second tier antenna. Overall amazing start! Any chance you could post a video of some basic rocket to LEO showing the engine thrust & fuel tank values? Once again, I love this but I'm not sure if I have the correct realism settings since its impossible for me to get to orbit.

Some bugs (I think) I've encountered:

-Antennae not working in career mode.

-Inexplicable loss of control on launch pad (cant start engines, release clamps, etc.) Restarting the game fixes this.

-Part Diameters out of whack. Seems that fuel tanks and engines were downsized whereas decouplers and pods were not.

This is weird. Are you able to go to the Mun and back in stock KSP? If yes ANYTHING with 10km deltaV should get you to orbit. My suggestion - start with as low payload as possible, the small pod for example. 2 stage rocket is more than enough to get you to orbit. Look at mechjeb stats. If it shows more than 10 km dV, you should be fine. Also make sure you get the latest version of mechjeb which accounts for non-linear thrust (engines having lower thrust in the atmosphere, not only Isp). Anything between 1.2 and 1.8 should suffice.

Start your gravity turn at 100 m/s, not more, gradually tilt the nose down. You should be level at 180-200 kilometres altitude.

Regarding pods - no, the pods are UPscaled, the small pod is 2m now and the 3 seater is 4m. Also some KW engines are upscaled and provide a lot of thrust. Practice is virtue, but honestly 9.5 km deltaV to orbit is more than achievable. Give your rocket 10 just in case.

Hope this helps.

Practice is virtue, but honestly 9.5 km deltaV to orbit is more than achievable. Give your rocket 10 just in case.

Hope this helps.

Indeed. I feel like I'm learning rocket building all over again with this mod. Missions to the Mun with an orbiting command module and LEM involving rendezvous are routine in my career mode now, and I sent a probe to Jool and explored the entire system, which is why I'm so frustrated here. The mod has really put me in my place.