[0.23.5] Realism Overhaul: ROv5.2 + Modlist for RSS 6/30/14

NathanKell

Jobin: I should make rescaled KW ones I guess, but since I only ever use Proc Interstage as my decoupler I never remember to.

Oh boy, I didn't realize those worked like that. There's so many mods here I don't even know where to start, thanks for the tip xD

I also am having trouble getting mechjeb to give me correct TWR using the stretchy tanks. Is this a known issue or am I doing something else wrong? Using the latest dev build of MechJeb 2 as of 11/25/2013.

EDIT: After finally fiddling around with the stretchy tanks and finding the right engines, I was able to make a working launch vehicle with around 12k dV. Feels much more rewarding than the original Kerbin system.

4PVVhAu.png

Edited by Jobin

Jobin: I have no issues. Note that you must hit All Stats to make "SLT," aka TWR at sea level, show up. Recall that MFS will scale your engine's thrust by its current Isp / max Isp, so at launch your actual TWR will be lower than what MJ says it is in the TWR column (aka vacuum TWR).

Changelog:

v2 -- \/

*Included missing 0.625m heatshield fix for DRE

*Changed Solid rockets as well.

*Merged with my new textures (and parts) for Procedural Fairings. NOTE: FOLLOW INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS ABOVE EVEN IF UPGRADING.

A pic preview of the largest mod solid rocket supported, the 5m Globe T5 from KW: (note also the long Novapunch big_srb in the popup)

6FIkyctl.png

(Of course, stretchies can be whatever diameter.)

Note that the smallest KW Globe is a spot-on match for a 1/3 size GEM-60, and the 3M KW Thor is just right for an Ariane 5 P230.

I have tried to set the 1m and 0.5m and 0.625m SRBs from stock, MFS, and NP so that you can make a Scout.

Jobin: I have no issues. Note that you must hit All Stats to make "SLT," aka TWR at sea level, show up. Recall that MFS will scale your engine's thrust by its current Isp / max Isp, so at launch your actual TWR will be lower than what MJ says it is in the TWR column (aka vacuum TWR).

Ah okay, hadn't realized it was giving vacuum TWR!

I do love your work, makes the whole propulsion MUCH more diverse and I find myself now spending much ore time fiddling and calculating which combination of engines and fuel types will get me to orbit at low costs (Mission Controller...).

The "rename to actual names of real counterparts" is a nice touch as well.

However, I had to make some adaptions as I remain with the stock Kerbin system for now, though nothing major. RT2 changes, MFRF etc. . Took some hours to figure out what I had to tweak/remove to get everything to work as intended, but finally it all works alright :) .

Are there parts planned for adapting from #-8m fuel tanks? Is there an addon you peeps would recommend? We have access to these massive engines with use of the stretchy tanks but no 8m decouplers, no adapters for a smooth transition.

Are there parts planned for adapting from #-8m fuel tanks? Is there an addon you peeps would recommend? We have access to these massive engines with use of the stretchy tanks but no 8m decouplers, no adapters for a smooth transition.

Use procedural fairings past 4 and 5M. You can use the interstage and setup a custom 'decoupler'. :)

Edited by MedievalNerd

Stevron, that's what the Procedural Fairings can be used for - you can resize them to fit the large tanks and engines and use them as decouplers, though I've found them tricky to work with. The readme said pressing f while hovering over the fairing toggles the decoupler force but it's still zero. It can still work, you just have to add a couple of small solid motors to push your decoupled engine/tanks away. Unfortunately I keep getting constant crashes after finally getting a comsat into GEO. :'( I'm thinking it might be related to my universe replacer but the skybox is just too damn pretty.

Okay, I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. On one hand, I'd love to have the real-scale planets and parts, but on the other hand, I don't really want to have all my parts renamed and my kerbol system rearranged, that is, I want to havve it be more realistic, but still have it be KSP. How many of the features are configurable?

Hmm. I've figured out how to size it and fit the fairings nicely, but it doesn't actually decouple, even with ullage motors on it. When I decouple it doesn't actually separate because I still have control over anything below the interstage. Am I doing something wrong?

edit. I stuck an extra decoupler in there, seems to work, not sure if that's how you guys do it though.

Edited by stevron

Thanks for the ideas. I'll post pics later today of what I have so far, after also considering this and the recently-released RLA engines. I'm aiming to match the nozzle bell curve, mouth diameter and general visual characteristics as best as it can.

I used KW Rocketry Maverick-V for my J-2X. My re-used KW Rocketry engines are configured as such:

• Vesta VR-1 => AJ 10-118K [1m] (Just a nice small orbital or upper stage engine)
  • Vesta VR-9D => 2x AJ 10-118K engines in a double mount. [2m] (Same as the AJ 10-118K with a little more thrust for a slightly bigger/heavier payload.)
  • WildCat-V => Merlin-1D Atmospheric [1.6m] (This works quite well. just wish I had a like-able model for the vacuum version as well. Scale is more or less aright. But I can't mount 9 of them in a nice Falcon-9 v1.1 like configuration. Ugly as hell with these large engine bases. i might remove it as it seems lsightly OP at this stage. probably for very late-game engines in career).
  • Maverick-1D => 2x Merlin-1D in double mount. [3m](a little too small but the scale looks alright and allows me to create a proper Falcon 9 v1.1 engine configuration with these large engine bases which I hate very much!)
  • Service Propulsion System => AJ 10-137 [3m] (This one is scaled down from the real one and I gave it less Vacuum Isp and slightly higher Atmospheric Isp to compensate. I still consider this as Kerbal Space Program so my Mk 1-2 capsule is only 3m wide)
  • Maverick-V => J-2X [3m] (As far as I could tell, the J-2X was supposed to be 3m wide. Not 2m as the J-2. I think i'll get the AIES engine as a J-2 as well. nice to have some variety for career mode or role-playing as I usually do.)
  • WildCat-XR => RL 10 [3m] (It's much too large and under-powered as a single 3m Upper stage engine. But it works fine as an orbital engine.)
  • Titan-T1 => RS68 [3m] (It works quite well in this capacity.)
  • Griffon G8-D => 4x RS25 SSME's in a quad mount [4m] (Not the best as I would like them separate and the mount is too small. I might make this a 5m engine. But I'm lacking in 4m parts.)
  • Griffon XX => 4x J-2X engines in a quad mount [5m] (This once again too small for quad mounted J-2X engines. Might turn this into a 6m part, but 4 of them might have too little thrust as an upper stage for the kind of payloads it will have then.)

@SFJackBauer: My entire system has been re-designed with NovaPunch and AIES engines too. Some of them are much better suited. Are you basing your stats on the in-game models or real-world engines? Both would be pretty cool I think. I'm nearly done with my configs. Just some scaling issues left(mostly).

@NathanKell: Will there be any chance to add UH-25 to MFS? I only need it for the Viking 4/5C/6, completely optional though.

Edited by ANWRocketMan

Hmm. I've figured out how to size it and fit the fairings nicely, but it doesn't actually decouple, even with ullage motors on it. When I decouple it doesn't actually separate because I still have control over anything below the interstage. Am I doing something wrong?

edit. I stuck an extra decoupler in there, seems to work, not sure if that's how you guys do it though.

I did that too before :P the interstage adapter has two top nodes, one just above the adapter, and the other floating (which you can adjust with 'h'), the one that decouples is the floating one, then you adjust the fairing height with 'j'. You could also add a decoupler to the other node in the cfg and works nicely

@AbeS: I've found that i just add extra decouplers anyway, regardless of the attachment point I used. Then I just move the interstage decoupler to Stage 0 so that I don't accidentally fire it.

What are the core differences? Seem to be heading in the same direction. But what do I know! Looking forward to the fruits of your labor gents.

Cheers,

I'm aiming for as close to real engines as possible. At the original Tech Level anyway. The upgrades won't match up to real-world engines. All the models I use(from KW Rocketry, AIES, NovaPunch, StockAlike are resized to as close as possibl;e to the real dimensions. I select the model that is closest to the real thing. But there are differences. I have some engines that might never be used such as the LR-87(represented by the AIES Produl-VR 2 which is a very close match, despite its added exhaust nozzles).

As far as I know, @SFJackBauer is making such egines too, but calculating the in-game engines' stats using the proper formulas for doing so. Thus we might end up with my real-life engines, and his true to life game engines. Which is What i hope happens.

Edited by ANWRocketMan

wasmic: the renaming is disabled in this version. Everything is configurable (everything RSS does is set by its cfg file, for example).

stevron, ANWRocketMan, anyone else having issues witt the interstage adapter: the interstage adapter supports the payload above it by the fairings. The stage atop is only freed when the fairings are decoupled. The "decoupler" in the IA is a fake, just so it doesn't confuse MJ/KER, and doesn't do anything. So, here's how you use it:

Build your stage. Add an interstage adapter, and attach its topmost (floating) node to the bottom of the stage. Resize IA to fit (width, node height, top width). Attach fairing sides. That will leave a decoupler for the IA, and 4x decouplers for the fairings (2x if using the 2-side IA), in your staging list. The fairing decouplers are what actually decouples the payload/upper stage. For best ease of use, put all 5 (or 3) decouplers in a single stage.

ANWRocketMan: I can add UH-25, sure. Why not use Frizzank's FASA LR-87 as the LR-87 though? :)

(It's specced as the real one in the Real Gemini patch linked in the second post here.)

BahamutoD: Very cool!

That will leave a decoupler for the IA, and 4x decouplers for the fairings (2x if using the 2-side IA), in your staging list.

You could also use the structural fairings and that would be just 1 decoupler, and have less stages :P

AbeS: Then things won't decouple, as my post you quoted explains. The floating node in the interstage adapter is keyed to fairing separation, not the fake decoupler inside the interstage which does nothing and is only there for MJ/KER compatibility. If you use non-decoupling fairings (the fuselage shrouds) then the interstage adapter will not decouple the floating node, no matter what you do. Misunderstanding this is why people think they have to add their own decouplers to make the interstage adapter work.

I add my own decouplers because then I can leave the interstage intact as it detaches. It just looks better to me, personally.

EDIT: Ok, so after an entire day wasted on figuring out certain unknown values and the damn node system I can finally start resizing the engines properly. Might be done with a preliminary tomorrow. There are several values for several engines considering their Isp(mostly Sea-Level Isp) that I'm not sure about. I'll make a post tomorrow with all those values if someone could possibly help me finding them or selecting appropriately balanced ones for them.

Edited by ANWRocketMan