[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

I think he wants a tutorial. And before there can be a tutorial. There needs to be a manual with bare some bare slappin numbers.

In other news: got the first tank model almost there. since they can be rescaled in the part config file i only make two models. a 1:1 and a 1:2 sized tank. I just got issues with unity not writing out the MBM files correctly as it should.

Okay as always when i want to REALLY show off, things go terribly wrong. For some reason it does not get exported by unity right. or imported into KSP right. Still debugging. But yeah.

Showing off still! Texture is preliminary. I want to add a second grime layer and color chipping to the container and frame

ContainerPreview.jpg

Okay here is my thinking behind this design:

After reading this and the old topic on the old tanks. I came up with one main conclusion: The hexagonal shape went not so well with the other KSP parts. So to counter this i made an octagonal container type tank with a round frame and struts.

The rather large ports on each end that connect to each other.. Well no matter if you have ore, metal or rocketparts. All three are bulk materials that normally cannot be streamed through a pipeline. Thus the docking port alike looks.

Texturewise i like to go into a slightly more gritty direction. Hey we talk mining operations. Even (or especially) on other planets it gets around ruff. The new tanks show this. corrosion, show of usage, color chipping from handling and so forth.

I even think about little dents on the tank with with bumpmaps.

I also will not continue to do symbols to indicate the contains. rusty red would be ore, blue would be metal and maybe whitish could be the rocket parts. All over all i look at them as oversea containers.

Technically its pretty slim. 1034 tris and two 512² textures (diffuse and normal)

I'd like to make two sizes for each diameter type. one 1:1 size/diameter thing and one 1:2 (as you see above). since the CFG files allow rescaling. this should be cake. (but even if not. adjusting them in unity is just as easy).

Thoughts?

PS: most of the time today was spend digging into Unity ;-)

Those cans look REALLY nice*. Much better than the hexcans and they fit the game better, as you say.

What are the diameters of the cans? Do they match the sizes of fuel tanks? One thing I wanted with the hexcans was the ability to mix/match them with Kethane tanks but they always looked odd.

*The last time I said that, I got smacked.

Okay as always when i want to REALLY show off, things go terribly wrong. For some reason it does not get exported by unity right. or imported into KSP right. Still debugging. But yeah.

Showing off still! Texture is preliminary. I want to add a second grime layer and color chipping to the container and frame

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/Aeon_Voom/ContainerPreview.jpg

Okay here is my thinking behind this design:

After reading this and the old topic on the old tanks. I came up with one main conclusion: The hexagonal shape went not so well with the other KSP parts. So to counter this i made an octagonal container type tank with a round frame and struts.

The rather large ports on each end that connect to each other.. Well no matter if you have ore, metal or rocketparts. All three are bulk materials that normally cannot be streamed through a pipeline. Thus the docking port alike looks.

Texturewise i like to go into a slightly more gritty direction. Hey we talk mining operations. Even (or especially) on other planets it gets around ruff. The new tanks show this. corrosion, show of usage, color chipping from handling and so forth.

I even think about little dents on the tank with with bumpmaps.

I also will not continue to do symbols to indicate the contains. rusty red would be ore, blue would be metal and maybe whitish could be the rocket parts. All over all i look at them as oversea containers.

Technically its pretty slim. 1034 tris and two 512² textures (diffuse and normal)

I'd like to make two sizes for each diameter type. one 1:1 size/diameter thing and one 1:2 (as you see above). since the CFG files allow rescaling. this should be cake. (but even if not. adjusting them in unity is just as easy).

Thoughts?

PS: most of the time today was spend digging into Unity ;-)

This. This so much. This part looks thousands of times better than the hexcans and I think most of the other parts in the mod. I really think this should replace the old cans ASAP.

BigD145: I think there is nothing that stops you from using the hexcans. I personally just don't believe that this format is really well, when everything else in this game is of round shape. See it like this: this also allows us to make oversized containers that fit in line with the KW rocketry pack (which is, last i remember one of the most popular mods out there, next to mechjeb)

maybe add some first steps with parts list in the OP?

Eh? What? That is far too nebulous for me to know what you want (though I do have a guess or two).

I mean this mod adds a bunch of parts - which are not listed in the OP (original post).

And no description of what to do with those parts to make a proper base :P

I didn't find a player.log, but I found an output_log that seems to be the same thing.

It says:

AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'EngineerToolbar': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'EngineerToolbar.EngineerToolbar' from assembly 'EngineerToolbar, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

Bit of clarification:It only happens if extraplanetary Launchpads is installed, and only the kerbal engineer parts are unaffected.

When I "revert flight" after launching a craft from the launchpad, it reverts the ship I just built as well as the pad itself. Is there some way around this or am I just missing something?

Also, on a different topic what's the "hab module" mentioned in the OP? Pretty sure it comes from a mod, anyone know which one?

Thanks in advance!

Well, it seems to work fine without EL.

Tried removing Kerbal Engineer but keeping EL. No parts get loaded at all. Huh.

That may well be the case, but because the error you posted earlier has nothing to do with EL, it means one of two things:

1. You posted the wrong error. You will need to dig further through the log file looking for Exception.
  2. EL is tickling a bug in EngineerToolbar.

In either case, you will need to report this to EngineerToolbar's author. In the first case, he has an exception to fix. In the second case, I can't do anything until you and he have determined not only the cause of the exception, but also that EL is doing something wrong. No matter what the outcome is, he has a bug to fix as no matter what EL does, his code shouldn't be throwing exceptions, but there might also be a problem in EL (all too possible).

tl;dr: You need to inform EngineerToolbar's author so we can get this ball rolling.

Suggestion: Make RocketParts a VAB-tweakable resource so that we can launch empty/partially-filled cans for it. It's a simple one-line modification that I've made to my own install, and I think it would be worthwhile to be the default.