[1.12.x] KSP Alternate Resource Panel v2.11.0.0 (April 10)

TriggerAu

...Is that the resource instant consumption/change rates? I really look forward to see how you will display them.

Yes its is, they are displayed in the same method as the stock ones - number in the brackets to the right

I'm sorry but: Kethane is KH4...

True, but Majiir liked the icon earlier in the post (and more than two characters does cram the text) so I left it like that.

Looks great, man. However, I believe that the colors of xenon and argon should be switched - argon emits blue light when put in a vacuum tube and an electrical flow is directed through it, where xenon emits purple light. Argon should possibly also have a darker/more saturated blue, and hydrogen should take over the light blue. However, I fully agree on Kethan being green :P. I also really like the ElectriCharge icon.

I do agree that the Hydrogen one looks naff, and when I layed em all out I think a light blue might be better. For the Argon/Xenon discussion I think I'll stick with the current ones - I did do a bit of looking and found a lot of ones where these colors were close - eg. http://images-of-elements.com/ .

I think maybe we can leave the Xenon/Argon discussion for now - you will be able to simply do your own icons in the next release - or I'll be spending too much time trying to sort colors :wink:.

Will you also put support for TAC life support? This mod is awesome and I can't wait for mod support!

I'm making up icons for a bunch for packs - which includes TACLIfesupport - you can see Water, Waste Water and CO2 in the pic above. I plan to update icons as I go, but people will be able to tweak as they see fit.

Edited by TriggerAu

Indeed. I was wondering if you had a formal/public list of features you intend to add to this mod, or are considering adding. Your iconography is exceptional, sir, I can't wait to see more.

To be honest, after the next version (aside from squashing bugs) the only things "I" have planned are (I do keep a more detailed list, but not publicly):

• some form of warning/alerting - theres some great ideass in here already so I need to find a good one
  • I would like to use this as a test case for interfacinng mods, so was gonna look at whether I could get this to cause an alarm to be created in KAC when you are running out of electricity (this is where I started this from)
  • Maybe add to the staging functionality so it auto advances stages when the current stage has no fuel and no active engines

Thats what I want to do, but there are some good ideas in this thread as well that I feel can be explored to - miniature display, auto appear on low resources, use of the plugin nodes so Modders can supply their icon - to name a few. And I always like to see peoples ideas :) If I can fit em in and still keep to the theme of what I am trying to do I will look at implementing em. Although starting on a second plugin has killed my play time :(

And Thanks, always good to get nice feedback.

Kerbal scientists are in disagreement about what Kethane is, with some insisting it's a simple hydrokarbon and others claiming it's an oxidizing element. This is why the converters can make both.

Kethane is clearly a macro level quantum particle that is in a superposition. The Observation of the KH4 molecule in the "Schrodinger's Pumper Thingy" inside the converter can manipulate the underlying fabric of the universe to cause it to fall into either category. Problem solved.

Great looking icons BTW. They are quite effective at conveying information. This mod quickly shot onto my must have list for mods. Very Quality work.

Version 1.1.0.0 Now on Spaceport

Deployed most of the features I posted before, but heres the full list:

• Changed loading method so that it parses the Icons folder
  • Also changed byte loading method to use System.IO instead of KSP.IO - will see if thats the Linux64bit problem with texture loading
  • Optional display of Instant consumption/rates
  • Converted draw code to use windows so main window is draggable and clamped to screen
  • Can lock window panel so you dont inadvertantly drag it
  • Separated settings window so yiou can drag to any edge and settings moves around to stay visible (pretty chuffed this worked)
  • Added a bunch of icons - more to come
  • Added folder for user to put custom icons in for ones I missed

I have added a bunch of icons and a loading method for the Icons-Player folder in the plugin so people who want to fill in my missing icons can do that for themselves while I get the rest finished. I think I have about 12 left to go on my list of resources, and I do want to redo a couple that dont look quite in sync with the others.

That said I have a few other things on over the next two weeks so I'll try and complete my icon set and publish the Inkscape template (SVG) file that I have knocked up with a manual page on the instructions site in the next day'ish. But further code enhancements (outside of an horrendous bug on my part) will probably be after that period

Anyways, enjoy. And As always I love feedback :)

@ Trigger Au: great improvement of an already excellent mod!

One thing however I would ask: at least with the screen resolution I use (1280 x 1024), the window opens at the extreme right of the screen, that is fine by itself, however I also use the achievements mod by blizzy and its tab is exactly covering the settings button on the alternate resources window. No way to activate the settings unless I disable the achievements mod. Believe it would be extremely fast to change position to the settings button, from extreme down right to extreme left right of the window, so to avoid interference with screen margins often used to park inactive GUI objects.

And thanks again for such a wonderful mod!

@ Trigger Au: great improvement of an already excellent mod!

One thing however I would ask: at least with the screen resolution I use (1280 x 1024), the window opens at the extreme right of the screen, that is fine by itself, however I also use the achievements mod by blizzy and its tab is exactly covering the settings button on the alternate resources window. No way to activate the settings unless I disable the achievements mod. Believe it would be extremely fast to change position to the settings button, from extreme down right to extreme left right of the window, so to avoid interference with screen margins often used to park inactive GUI objects.

And thanks again for such a wonderful mod!

Hmm, the "race for (screen) space" modders problem strikes again. I think that button in the bottom right makes more sense, but let me have a think about the problem. In the meantime you can edit the config.xml file to make changes directly, but this is definitly something I need to get sorted

Version 1.1.1.0 now on Spaceport

Finally finished the icons and a tweak for diomedea:

• Finished 1st iteration of icons - includes icons for: Kethane, Deadly Reentry, Extra Planetary Launchpads, KSP Interstellar, Life Support By Bobcat, Near Future, TAC Life Support
  • Made the settings button a little wider to make it visible behind other fixed buttons

Page on how to make icons to come shortly

Enjoy

OK, so as promised... that sounds a bit egotistical.. lets try that again.

I knocked up some info and advice on how I made the icons for this Mod and stuck it on the Documentation Site. so there are two new pages:

• Included Icons: This contains a list of all the icons that are in the KSP ARP download package (on the background color of the panel)
  • Making Your Own Icons: This contains Specifications, advice and an SVG template that I used to make the majority of the icons

I will put something in place for adjusting priority of icons in a near build, but need a little time for that. Anyways, read up if your interested and let me know if you have questions.

Quick thought. Have you considered pulling the predominant color from a resources associated icon to use for its bar? Looking at some of the discussions, it seems the colors people wanted for the icons were the same as the colors they wanted for the bars, so why not make the plugin match them?

Quick thought. Have you considered pulling the predominant color from a resources associated icon to use for its bar? Looking at some of the discussions, it seems the colors people wanted for the icons were the same as the colors they wanted for the bars, so why not make the plugin match them?

I did have that though initially, but as its come together the idea has slipped down the priority list as it will be hard to do well - IMO. A few things that made me get to this design:

• I wanted it to still look somewhat like the in game one - just with some extra functionality and polish
  • I do still want to add some form of alarm/alerting for low resources and using the bar color may be the way to do that
  • I plan to let people choose to use their own icons, and mods define an icon in their plugin eventually - and if I dont have the color I would have to determine a predominant color and then programmatically create a texture to change it
  • I didn't want it to become a rainbow of colors as I would find that looking tacky

This is not to say diffn colored bars are totally off the list, another idea I had was some form of color related to the type of resource (I think someone mentioned that here as well - but I also had no idea how many custom resources there were), we'll see how we go

Hey there. I seem to be getting a ton of errors whenever I open the Alternative Resource Panel, and thought I'd let you know. This is what I'm getting when I open it:

[Exception]; ArgumentException: Getting control 0's position in a group with only 0 controls when doing Repaint

Aborting

I get that error in the debug menu 13 times before I get this:

[Log]: 12/6/2013 4:08:45 PM,KSPAlternateResourcePanel,Saving Config...

Now I have no idea whether that is relevant, needs fixing, or whatever, but I'm trying to track down whats causing some massive lag, and this is one of the mods producing red errors. Anyway I love the mod, and I hope you'll continue to develop and maintain it :)

Also, and this is the second time i ask, so if you have answered it and I just can't find it, then I apologize. Is there a way to disable the standard resource panel. With this thing I don't what its buggy ass popping up every time I hover up there :D

Hey there. I seem to be getting a ton of errors whenever I open the Alternative Resource Panel, and thought I'd let you know. This is what I'm getting when I open it:

Also, and this is the second time i ask, so if you have answered it and I just can't find it, then I apologize. Is there a way to disable the standard resource panel. With this thing I don't what its buggy ass popping up every time I hover up there :D

Errors are never expected, but I dont recall see it myself. It looks like its trying to lay out some window objects without some other bits of code. I'll see if i can get it to happen here. Are you seeing it when you go from spaceport to a vessel, or switching vessels, or some other scenario?

I haven't put in anything to disable the stock button, If it is possible I think I would want to get some sort of OK before doing that as well. I have it noted down, but not high on my list. In my testing etc, the alternate panel sits over the top of the stock one, so I dont see the stock one, or is this when you are using them in hover style?

What are your thoughts on alphabetizing or applying some other ordering? It is weird to me that the resources are always in a different order. It also happens with the stock resource panel, so not unique to your mod. Anyway, just curious.

The order they run up is the order they appear in the vessel by part, I just mirrored the stock one. I do want to do something here and provide people a way to group/sort em, just havent gotten to it yet

Nice update, loving this tool. The only thing I would say is missing is an optional transparent window.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you mean the sort of transparent black Unity Default GUI Style, as opposed to the KSP GUI Style. I really prefer to keep my stuff in the same look/feel as the Stock Game, but I will see how much extra work it will be to maintain two sets of styles with an option.

Errors are never expected, but I dont recall see it myself. It looks like its trying to lay out some window objects without some other bits of code. I'll see if i can get it to happen here. Are you seeing it when you go from spaceport to a vessel, or switching vessels, or some other scenario?

I haven't put in anything to disable the stock button, If it is possible I think I would want to get some sort of OK before doing that as well. I have it noted down, but not high on my list. In my testing etc, the alternate panel sits over the top of the stock one, so I dont see the stock one, or is this when you are using them in hover style?

Its when I hover over it. Basically the errors came up when I clicked on the panel banner.