[Spoiler] Easter Egg Stocktake 1.1.3 Done

MalfunctionM1Ke

Hi everyone,

I know that this Thread is probably annoying to some of you that dont like to be spoiled, but I whitnessed myself that some of our "landmarks" have literally disappeared or are stuck underground.
In addition it is very hard to find information about where and how to find some of the Easter Eggs, especially when it comes to the Magic Boulder (Further Information on its behalf below).
So my plan here is to track them all down and give the Devs a little Stocktake in what state and condition they are.
Feel free to discuss and send in new Eastereggs you may have found :)

For my orientation I used Kerbalmaps and a High Ingame Terrain Detail (Results may vary because of this Setting).

I strongly recommend the Mod ScanSat as it gives you a clear Map with coordinates of the Anomalies.
Plus, it shows you the location of your vessels and you can estimate your distance to the Ester Egg.

Version 1.1.3 Update: Done!

Summary for 1.0.2 only on High Terrain Detail

Duna's SSTV Mountain. -66.1 , -160.7
SSTV-Sound/Signal is missing.

Magic Boulder around Ike
Semi-returned. No persistent Magic Boulder on its original Orbit.

Carl Sagan's Face on Tylo
Still gone

Island Airfield
Camera gets stuck in the Roof of the Hangar when you drive into it.

---

Ike - The Magic Boulder
The Magic Boulder is dead, long live the Magic Boulder. Unfortunately Squad decided to make it a procedural generated Asteroid that pops up all around the System in different sizes and colors.
But, in my humble opinion, none of these Boulders qualifies as a proper Magic for a simple reason: There is no Monolith on any of them! Squad pls! :wink:
Thank you Brotoro for giving me access to your ancient Picture. You can find his full MB-Attempt here to see what the Magic Boulder used to look like.
SSBYVaZ.jpg

So here we go and of course we start with:

Main Menu & Parts

Clarification:
There is an additional Start-Menu where Kerbals are digging out their Spacecraft.
This Screen is added to the Game by blizzy78's Toolbar-Mod and it is not Stock, although it definetly an eyecatcher :)

Spoiler

There is a Chance of 1/40 to have the little Mun-SandCastle displayed in the Main Menu.
Allthough, you can force it to show up by going into the settings and back until it shows up.

1Ol6Cnp.jpg

Spoiler

Somebody actually took a close look at the new implemented or re-designed Science Parts and found something interesting.
There is a Smiley inside one of the venting holes of the opened Goo Container.

RoXZetQ.jpg

Spoiler

One of the Numbers on the Communotron 88-88 translate into "beep" when converted into ASCII

IxiniPN.jpg

Spoiler

The Science Lab has some Numbers on it, too. Those are the Launchdates and NORAD Callsigns of the ISS-Zarya-Module (1998 067A) and MIR-Spacestation (1986 017A)
Thanks for AlamoVampire for telling us about the NORAD-Callsigns :)

Ag5sh70.jpg

Spoiler

The Batteries have probably been designed in a Bat-Cave. You might get the reference just taking a closer look at it :wink:

Z-400.pngZ-100.png

Spoiler

The Mark3 to Mark2 Adapter has a graffiti on it.
It is either an impression about the formfactor or the Signature of Kurvy Kerman.

JtQvj60.jpg

Spoiler

The Model of the Small Inline Reaction Wheel has a big red dot in it's middle which brings an old friend from a movie long ago into mind.

Inline_reaction_wheel.pnghal9000.jpg

Spoiler

Another Hint to Hal9000 from 2001:Space Odyssey can be found on the SC-9001 Science Jr.
Not only its name points toward it, but also a small red light inside the Science Bay.

SC-9001_interior.png

Spoiler

Looks like somebody stole the Telus Mobility Enhancer-Model and put it on the A10-Warthog.

Ladder.jpgTelus_Mobility_Enhancer.JPG

Spoiler

The Strut-Connector cost 42 Funds. Took a long time people to notice this subtle hint to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
After all, it is the answer to everything... almost.

Es11BVX.png

Kerbin

Spoiler

8i7PaIQ.jpg

Kerbin Smiley

Spoiler

This one was discovered when the first Mapping Mod like ScanSat or IVA-Mapsat was released. People figured out that the Cliffs on the Bottom of the Ocean just South of KSC could not have been a natural Formation :)
I dont want to exclude it here because I can't put a Flag on it and it is very very very hard to visit. But not impossible :wink:

rn9cerh.jpg

Anomalies around KSC

MK1-Pod-Memorial ...Yup, still where it belongs

Spoiler

3hZjZMO.jpgDestructible since 0.25. Thanks for testing that out Random_Tank :)

9VX1MlW.jpg

KSC-Monolith

Spoiler

g5yeLDi.jpg

Astronaut Complex Restroom Leftovers

Spoiler

FEFGw4A.jpg

AlVFThC.jpg

Island-Airfield Left overs
This is located on the small Island right next to KSC. You cant miss it.

Spoiler

hUGCRF2.jpgSince .24 the camera gets stuck under the roof in a mysterious way.

PmjhlPi.jpg

So these were really no big deal to find but the next took some time:

Kerbin Northern Monolith

Spoiler

Next one took us north (35.5 , -74,9 according to Kerbal-Maps)
The EasterEgg is in the Valley inside this Mountainrange
2TzD6q0.jpg

vo6xAzf.jpg

8l9VKNO.jpg

qT8HHVM.jpg

K2-Monolith

Spoiler

Next one is west of KSC in the Mountains around K2 (-0.6 , -80.7)
Underground on default Terrain Detail and floating above ground on low Detail.

u2whtue.jpg

kRl0ES6.jpg

AINSVR2.jpg

Kerbin southern Highland Monolith

Spoiler

Another one is located here (-28.8 , -13.4)
Again in the mountains... I feel pretty comfortable now, driving a heavy rover up these steep walls of rock, feeling the fear of crashing and falling all the way down again :D
Floating several Meters above ground on default Terran Detail and even higher on Low Terrain Detail

sXGUFKo.jpg

kqZnjBV.jpg

4eq5r5u.jpg
But I was rewarded :wink:Lj3M8t2.jpg

3vPWe40.jpg

Lets head eaven further North:
The UFO/Saucer is located (-81.9 , -128.5) and it took quite a time to spot a grey object buried half in a white background :wink:

Spoiler

Underground on low Terrain Detail
DFx604Z.jpg

jSGq6lD.jpg

KSC-2

Spoiler

Still where it belongs (20.6 , -146,4)
Partially underground on Low Terrain Detail
ixKLsZd.png

mbxTXJW.png
Even a Monolith is here.uDYEkTJ.jpg

R0V4l75.png

The Pyramids.

Spoiler

Last but definetly not least visited... :) (-6.5 , -141.6)
Underground on low Terrain Detail7XF7vgI.png

tvH7tLZ.png

C8m3adi.jpg

Mun

Spoiler

ztGgxD6.jpg

The Armstrong-Memorial

Spoiler

Starting with the most important Easter Egg in the Game (0.7 , 22.7)

4KLp0YZ.jpg

qOMQlds.jpg

Next is a Monolith/Munolith south of the Armstrong Monument (-9.8 , 25.9)

Spoiler

As of 1.1.3 the Monolith is sitting on the ground and is clearly visible.

gAMxCeu.jpg

uwwZCh2.jpg

There is also a Munarch east of the Armstrong-Memorial (12.4 , 39.1)

Spoiler

7Zd7E6E.jpg

xcNPXJT.jpg

Western Munarch (-12.4 , -140.8)

Spoiler

You can see it below the Lander.

w0t02Ly.jpg

QSgtZgd.jpg

Yh07hkr.jpg

And the last Anomaly on the Equator East-Side Crater Munarch (2.4 , 81.5)

Spoiler

gExa7ue.jpg

jL4ATY3.jpg

Northern Munolith

Spoiler

Next Stop is the Anomaly in the Northern Regions. (57.6 , 9.1)
It is a Monolith atop of a noticeable Plateau

cQ7JByY.jpg
Allthough it is pretty impressiv and about 2000 - 2500m deep.
Update 0.23 - the Munhole is now a Munhill

4oo2N5v.jpg

bEfkEC2.jpg

Next Stop, Southpole Munhole (-82.2 , 102.9).

Spoiler

The Monolith, once floating inside a deep hole, is now on the Ground in a more "reasonable" ditch :)
Underground on low Terrain Detail

qgGMH0v.jpg

kLjJrSO.jpg

9D58RJ6.jpg

CdlnzMi.jpg

Last Stop is the Munar Flying Saucer (70.9 , 68,1)

Spoiler

JLtYd2a.jpg

cUks73J.jpg

Minmus

Spoiler

Ziv3W4I.jpg

Sadly there is only one Monolith on Minmus (23.7 , 60)

Spoiler

XNIoNTN.jpg

9KRR1Ng.jpg

Trivia: Prior to Version 0.23 it was floating at 11500m above ground.5H8J06O.jpg

Also there is the Rumor about the Rovertracks. Here you go. Unfortunately there is no Marker in Kerbalmaps.

Spoiler

Only visible on high Terrain Detail

GEJQ68p.jpg

WS4yCfI.jpg

L2x5dCH.jpg

Moho

Spoiler

The Mohole on Moho's Northpole still exists. In fact they look like a polar Meshbug but even though Squad knew, they didnt fixed it but it appears they added a Biome to it.
Further investigations have to be done. :)

qVY88Tm.jpg

Ct9Ivua.jpg

eLV0Cni.jpg

Duna

Spoiler

pyEifIe.jpg

The Time has come, that Kerbalkind set foot on another Planet and it were odd things they would find there.
- Unfortunatly all evidence is Pointing in the Direction, that the Magic Boulder around Ike has been "disabled". NovaSilisko pointed out, that it is still somewhere in the code.

So lets head to the Curiosity-Cam (-30.3 , -28.8).

Spoiler

The Cam is located to the SouthEast-End of the Canyon/Valley where also the Duna-Face is located (upperleft Flag in the picture below)

5vrgBcN.jpg

Closeup for orientationwOGlnBJ.jpg

V1.1.3

YOU8lIo.jpg

Next is the Portrait/Face on Duna (17 , -85.4)

Spoiler

This one is actually so popular that the Martians built it a Counterpart on their Planet :)
The Chin of the Face is floating a little above ground on low Terrain Detail

Il9M6SR.jpg

OeQ7KzE.jpg

5jLOR2S.jpg

And the last one on Duna ist the SSTV Mountain. (-66.1 , -160.7)

Spoiler

The Story behind this Easter-Egg is, that it was meant to be one Piece in a bigger Puzzle which the Player/Community had to figure out by decrypting the Signal himself.
Which was accomplished long Time ago:

dunaegg.jpg
Some of the Data is "garbage" as NovaSilisko (Inventor and former Dev) pointed out here.
It is speculated that the Transmission was supposed to lead you towards the Magic Boulder which once orbited hidden around Ike
You can still see it from 12km far away. Somehow it is brighter then the rest of the mountains around it.
Rai6iy0.jpg

idGihIf.jpg
This time it is not the structure that is stuck underground but the Signal. Since 0.23 you cannot pan the camera underground anymore to hear it.
fcyp8c1.jpg

VQQJ5IT.jpg

Dres

Spoiler

There are now Asteroids showing up directly in orbit around Dres. You have to track them after all to make them persistent.
Yet unknown if this is considered an Easter-Egg or a feature. Pretty cool nontheless. :)

Picture taken from Syvos streaming on KSPTV Apr 26, 2015 around 2h40m.

qsytgyP.jpg

Jool - Bop

Spoiler

LkVl4Rc.png

Is it just me or did it move a bit? :wink:
(Don't) Release the Kraken!!! (68.2 , 118.4) Coordinates dont really work here, cause Bop is so small, hilly and bumpy. Just look for the big impact crater. Rotate the Camera to the Pole so the craters points downwards. Thats were it rests.

Spoiler

pplhswB.jpg

bP8ZDRq.jpg

I... sorry... I just couldnt help it :wink:
YuO9kEs.jpg

Jool - Tylo

Spoiler

WUGkEvv.jpg

Actually it is a shame, that Carl Sagan's Face is not shown anymore on Tylo.

Spoiler

There is a white spot in the Crater when you look at it in Mapmode and you can see its facial Silhouette on Kerbalmaps if you squint your eyes. You could see it even from the Orbit in an earlier Version of the Game.
But all you get is this:
Gone/Underground on High/Default/Low Terrain Detail

CEpi71V.jpg

NF2CAcA.jpg

What it used to look like:3T1Ci4U.jpg

Man, landing on Tylo sucks badly. I tried to land near the Cave-Structure (40.2 , 174) a dozen times and when i finally touched down safely I had to walk my Kerbal for 12km...

Spoiler

So I locked my Keys with a Paperclip and went Shopping :wink:

RSYlNSI.jpg

xMDfyCB.jpg

Jool - Vall

Spoiler

vQkcUIP.jpg

So... the Vall-henge (-60.3 , 84) is still one the hard things to find. I didnt expect that big rocks when I left Terrain Scatter on so take a good look. Also keep in Mind that you Mun-Lander won't do here, even if Vall has almost the same Gravity as the Mun.

Spoiler

Jl9PtUX.jpg

zwLqv5F.jpg

To be continued. :)

Edited by MalfunctionM1Ke

Oh the Boulder disappeared? Thats why I cant find it.

Got this confirmed somewhere?

Edit:

Found this Thread. Seems like the Boulder is still in the Game-Code but inactive

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/31546-Magic-Boulder-Removed/page4

This thread is a pretty good idea. I see from your results that the wiki page is not quite up-to-date on which anomolies are buried in the current version.

With the big Spoiler tag in the title then I doubt you will be stepping on any toes, and even if the devs know the exact state of their EEggs then the rest of us dont ;)

Yea, they didn't disappear, they're just hard to find, I have a picture of that easter egg south of the Armstrong Memorial in .22.:D As for the Magic Boulder, it would make a great Christmas present... *Cough*.23*Cough*

Can you share that picture please? Cause I visit that thing twice and I couldnt find anything :)

I believe one of the polar mun monoliths is floating like 1-2 km up from the base of one of the mun holes. It's really hard to spot. I've never been to it personally but there was a thread about it a while back. I don't remember if it was south or north... or even if there is one at both poles?

I'm sure eventually the anomalies will not be set to a fixed Z coordinate (since not only does that mess up with each revision to the surface of each body, but it also screws up when terrain detail settings are mucked with). Instead they'll be defined by the Z position of the ground below them. At least, that's how I'd do it; saves a fair bit of trouble trying to reposition things every time an art pass is done on a body or the player changes terrain detail settings.

There is also a floating Minmus monoloth...

Which is impossible to find... I saw it once, but I don't think I will ever bother with that thing again.

My idea was that if it was solid (which it is not), then I would hang a giant not-orbiting-space-station on it. *Sigh* that would have been so awesome...

Edit: Minmus is also done ;)

Which is impossible to find... I saw it once, but I don't think I will ever bother with that thing again.

My idea was that if it was solid (which it is not), then I would hang a giant not-orbiting-space-station on it. *Sigh* that would have been so awesome...

Just follow my coordinates, Rocket.

And if you want a solid floating Monolith,... the one in the Southern Munhole is indeed ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.