BROKEN [0.90] TextureReplacer 2.1.2 (20.12.2014)

shaw

Cool, now just to find a good pack to use with this. I've been using the Celestial Bodies Revamped pack in Universe Replacer, but I notice that it uses custom normal maps which won't be applied by this plugin. Not sure if that will make a noticeable difference but I might try it out anyway just to see what happens.

Edited by FenrirWolf

Version 0.10 doesn't have the normal map limitation any more. It enables you to replace almost every internal texture, you only have to know its internal name. Normal maps for planets have usually the same name as the base texture, but end in 01 instead of 00. An exception is Kerbin (KerbinScaledSpace401), Mun (NewMunSurfaceMapNormals) and Jool (cloud_normal). You can see that names in UR's config file (GameData/UniverseReplacer/Plugins/PluginData/UniverseReplacer/UniverseReplacer.cfg).

Edited by shaw

@Fenrirwolf: No conflict. TR only enables texture compression if AMR mod is not present. And even if it wasn't, there should be no conflict, just some duplicated work.

@Daze: check uppercase/lowercase letters in file names and look in log what TR says.

The point is that i cant really understand how to run the plugin... In the .zip i have found only the folder to pur in /gamedata/ and a .DLL file...

The point is that i cant really understand how to run the plugin... In the .zip i have found only the folder to pur in /gamedata/ and a .DLL file...

And you should put textures into GameData/TextureReplacer/Textures/ by yourself. Some links to texture packs are in the first post and several people posted links to updated texture packs in this thread (just go back some pages).

And you should put textures into GameData/TextureReplacer/Textures/ by yourself. Some links to texture packs are in the first post and several people posted links to updated texture packs in this thread (just go back some pages).

Yes yes, i've done this, i've also renamed the file like in the 1st post and also converted all .PNG in .tga

@shaw - is this normal to see in the log on every texture that TextureReplacer replaces?

[LOG 01:04:16.357] [TextureReplacer] Mapping desertplanetmoon00 -> TextureReplacer/Textures/desertplanetmoon00
[EXC 01:04:16.358] ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.

You probably have two copies of some textures (.png + .tga)?

Weird. I figured out what was going on. I'd converted a skybox over to TGA with lossless compression. TextureReplacer really does not like RLE compressed TGAs. Log file and RLE'd textures. (install was stripped down to *just* TextureReplacer and the bad textures.)

Do you have ModuleManager.dll (pre-1.5 version)? What does KSP.log say (look for messages beginning with "[TextureReplacer]"?

I don't use MM, it's needed...? Also where can i find the log? Thank you in advance for helping me :P

Is there a way to get textures used through this mod to not default back to the 'low altitude' textures? Or change over at a very low altitude? If that makes sense? When I get in close, the swap between the textures is quite dramatic. And it's not as low as you'd assume, the last time I saw the severe switch was coming into a 50K orbit around Minmus.

edit:

The planet textures being replaced are the high-altitude textures which are also used in the map mode and in the tracking station. When getting closer to the surface, those textures are slowly interpolated into high-resolution ones that cannot be replaced by this plugin.

First post, nevermind; sorry. -_-;

Edited by Franklin

Anyone have any idea why my TGA textures aren't loading? I made sure they're RGB and not indexed/greyscale. I'm at a loss.

edit: Nevermind, it was this:

Weird. I figured out what was going on. I'd converted a skybox over to TGA with lossless compression. TextureReplacer really does not like RLE compressed TGAs. Log file and RLE'd textures. (install was stripped down to *just* TextureReplacer and the bad textures.)

Furthermore, it doesn't seem to work with un-compressed 16-bit TGAs, either, and if you have even one un-supported TGA-type in your folder, none of them are loaded. Took me 9 attempts when I finally got a non-RLE, 24-bit TGA of just Kerbin in my folder to make it work.

edit2: Which essentially makes any 8K/4K packs awfully unwieldy. A 24-bit TGA pack of all 4K planets/moons and a skybox will run you 500-800mb, which is a hell of a load. I really wish I could use 16-bit compressed TGAs. A 16-bit, compressed 4K pack is <200mb, and still looks great.

Edited by Franklin

I don't use MM, it's needed...? Also where can i find the log? Thank you in advance for helping me :P

You run the plugin by putting everything where its supposed to go then playing the game. The modulemanager dll file should already be there in gamedata, too

Furthermore, it doesn't seem to work with un-compressed 16-bit TGAs, either, and if you have even one un-supported TGA-type in your folder, none of them are loaded. Took me 9 attempts when I finally got a non-RLE, 24-bit TGA of just Kerbin in my folder to make it work.

Did some more testing on my issue. The skybox breaks only when it's a 24-bit RLE TGA. 24-bit with no compression works. 32-bit (ARGB) with RLE works.

You run the plugin by putting everything where its supposed to go then playing the game. The modulemanager dll file should already be there in gamedata, too

Also if i put MM in Gamedata it won't work...

DUDE!!! Thank-you so much for this mod!

UR has been causing me a great deal of difficulty with out-of-memory error crashes every 20-30 mins or so in .23, but I just couldn't bring myself to discard those delightful hi-res bodies, so I had all-but resigned myself to this painfully crashy fate, when voila!

Problem solved!

I just toured around Mun and Minmus, which were both looking as lovely as ever I might add, for several hours without a single crash.

Urock!

I figured out what's wrong. KSP fails to load your skybox's TGAs which results in game database corruption! Some textures are duplicated and some are missing (they get overridden by that duplicates). When I was writing this plugin I haven't foreseen anything like that could happen, so it gets stuck in initialisation. Each time during initialisation an exception occurs, so it never comes to the point, where it flags the initialisation complete, and it repeats it each frame.

The second thing is that I've opened some of your problematic images in Gimp and saved them as a TGA again (with RLE!). And they started working. Which application did you use to convert them?

Also if i put MM in Gamedata it won't work...

@Daze: You don't need Module Manager. I only said that because some older version of TextureReplacer was conflicting some ancient version of Module Manager. I think 0.10 shouldn't be in conflict any more, but just in case. Can you look if your problem is the same as somnambulist's?

Tis a shame Normal Maps don't work properly.

Was the one thing i hated about universe replacer, seems the problem is here too. Will this problem ever be fixed at all, is it even fixable?

Normal maps should work. Which normal maps do you mean exactly?

Anyone have any idea why my TGA textures aren't loading? I made sure they're RGB and not indexed/greyscale. I'm at a loss.

edit: Nevermind, it was this:

edit2: Which essentially makes any 8K/4K packs awfully unwieldy. A 24-bit TGA pack of all 4K planets/moons and a skybox will run you 500-800mb, which is a hell of a load. I really wish I could use 16-bit compressed TGAs. A 16-bit, compressed 4K pack is <200mb, and still looks great.

It doesn't matter whether a TGA is compressed or not. In RAM it occupies the same space. The reason is that GPUs only understand uncompressed textures and that compressed with DXT1, DXT3, DXT5 etc. So, all PNG, TGA, JPEG etc. textures exist in RAM either uncompressed or get converted to DXTn. TextureReplacer and TextureCompressor (aka Active Memory Reduction Mod) look for uncompressed textures in RAM (only those loaded from GameData/ dir) and compress them to DXT1 or DXT5 when possible.

0.10.2 released. It shouldn't crash any more when game database is corrupted (as in somnambulist's case). However, corrupted and overridden textures are still not loaded/replaced. Edited by shaw
link added