[1.10] AutoAsparagus v2.3.1

hab136

Hi Hab,

I tried this a few times today but it locks the game up as Myk mentioned above, but without the ability to exit the VAB. I don't use fairings (though they are installed). I do use Smartstage, though, and was wondering if you would separate the fuel line routing from this mod as a stand-alone, as that part is awesome.

Using other part packs should be ok as long as they name things consistently ("tank", "decoupler") in the part name (not the display name). I haven't specifically tested against any part packs, just browsed their part names to make sure they fit the scheme. However if you have a specific craft that is failing, I can take a look at it if you share the .craft file.

Hi!

I really love this mod, but I noticed it won't work with Novapunch parts ;.;. I make a simple test rocket: Command pod (stock), HH-125-C Insulated Fuel Tank (Novapunch's), four TT-70 radial decouplers (stock) and one HH-125-C tank on each of decouplers. Each tank have stock engine on botoom of it, of course.

I press "Asparagus" button, the mod does "some work" (writing messages in black line on screen), says "Done!", but there is no changes in rocket. No fuel lines, no changes in staging. If I make the same rocket with stock tanks, or tanks from "KW Rocketry", Autoasparagus works fine.

I believe, this happens because there is no "tank" word in the part name of Novapunch's parts, instead, they use word "lft".

Can you, please, make adjusments to your great mod to make it more compartible with Novapunch parts?

Hi Hab,

I tried this a few times today but it locks the game up as Myk mentioned above, but without the ability to exit the VAB. I don't use fairings (though they are installed).

Yeah, even without dangling decouplers (fairings), there's still a few ways to confuse the mod and get it into an infinite loop.

I do use Smartstage, though, and was wondering if you would separate the fuel line routing from this mod as a stand-alone, as that part is awesome.

I originally had them separate, but people complained it was confusing. Other people (including myself) complained it was ugly too :)

wbWSwAL.png

Right now steps 1-5 are all performed when you push "Asparagus" or "Onion". Hmm, maybe a checkbox for "create fuel lines" and a separate one for "stage"? Something like this, where the staging stuff is a submenu?

(excuse my awesome MSPaint skills while on my lunch break at work):

GVkmD3c.png

I wonder too if I could automatically call SmartStage if it's installed? (again, another option)

I believe, this happens because there is no "tank" word in the part name of Novapunch's parts, instead, they use word "lft".

Can you, please, make adjusments to your great mod to make it more compartible with Novapunch parts?

Yep, that would do it; I specifically look for the word "tank" or "fuselage":

if ((p.name.ToLower ().Contains ("tank")) || (p.name.ToLower ().Contains ("fuselage"))) {

Easy enough to add "lft" to that list, but what I really should do is move that list to a config file so it's easier to update. Or maybe just check for routable fuels and ignore the part name entirely. I already check that there's some resource besides MonoPropellant, but what I could do instead is check if a given part has resources that could use a fuel line (the fuel flow mode is "adjacent", not "Everywhere"/"Internal"/"None"). I originally put the part name restrictions in because I was worried about doing silly things like making fuel lines between life support containers.

Anyways, as I spilled Coke Zero on my development machine the other night, it might be a bit before I can push out an update.

Easy enough to add "lft" to that list, but what I really should do is move that list to a config file so it's easier to update.

I think this gonna be easiest way to solve my and many other similar issues. At least for the first time.

Anyways, as I spilled Coke Zero on my development machine the other night, it might be a bit before I can push out an update.

Yeah... "Coke Zero is bad not only for your stomach..." :D I wish your hardware to be well ASAP.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I might be doing it wrong, couldn't get it to work though. Just deleted the fins and fuel lines on the Kerbal X to test and told it to asparagus. It just connected all lines to the middle tank and put everything in the first stage. Maybe I'm missing something?

I might be doing it wrong, couldn't get it to work though. Just deleted the fins and fuel lines on the Kerbal X to test and told it to asparagus. It just connected all lines to the middle tank and put everything in the first stage. Maybe I'm missing something?

The Kerbal X was not built as 6 boosters in symmetry; instead it's three sets of 2 boosters. You don't even have to look at the .craft file to see this; just yank one booster off and instead of all of them coming off, only two will.

AutoAsparagus requires the tanks that you want to be asparagus'd to actually be in a single symmetry; otherwise it has no way to know that they're supposed to be siblings. (If you have 6 boosters, they should be in 6x symmetry.. not three sets of 2x)

.. and now I just realized I uploaded the dev .dll and not the release one. 0.9.1 coming up shortly, lol.

Edited by hab136

The current download is 0.9.1, on Curse as well as on CKAN, but AVC tells me that 0.9 is current and 0.9.1 is available for download.

Whoops. For the moment I've set the current version to 0.9 at the KSP-AVC site, so that should stop AVC from bugging you.

why people is obsesed on remove the fun of this game with this kind of mods,if y ou want to can make a mod to have the computer playing for you xd.Hope devs never fallow this way.

Please don't post stuff like this, it has no constructive value, just don't use the mod if you don't like it. END...

This is breaking the undo function somehow after I use autoasparagus since when I try to undo, I get this exception:

lReferenceException
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetGameObject ()

at UnityEngine.Component.get_gameObject () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EditorLogic.RestoreState (Int32 offset) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EditorLogic.UndoRedoInputUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at (wrapper delegate-invoke) Callback:invoke_void__this__ ()

at KerbalFSM.UpdateFSM () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EditorLogic.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Full exception log: http://sta.sh/01phtmbdyvmr

Anyone have issues with this not working? I installed from CKAN, clicked the button to set up Asparagus staging, and the VAB slows down like it's trying to do something, but then it just sits there, doing nothing at all, still slowed down minutes later. I've tried this with and without SmartStage installed.

Here's an image of the rocket I'm trying to set up. I ticked the 'bottom stage' box before hitting the Asparagus button.

Other mods installed:

KSP: 1.0.2 (Win32) - Unity: 4.6.4f1 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit

Filter Extensions - 2.1.1

AutoAsparagus - 0.9

CapCom Mission Control On The Go - 1.1

Contract Configurator - 1.0.4

Contract Pack: Kerbal Space Station - 1.3.4

Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.5.1

Editor Extensions - 2.7

GCMonitor - 1.2.3

HyperEdit - 1.4.1

kOS - 0.17.2

KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5

Infernal Robots - 0.21.2

NavHud - 1.2.1

Pilot Assistant - 1.8

Procedural Parts - 1.1.1

QuickSearch - 1.1.2

SmartParts - 1.6.4

StageRecovery - 1.5.5

TAC Fuel Balancer - 2.5.1.7

TweakScale - 2.1

[x] Science! - 4.3

EDIT: Creating a really basic rocket seems to work fine, any ideas why AutoAsparagus chokes on my setup above?

EDIT 2: Hooking up the fuel lines in the bottom stage and using SmartStage seems to work fine, but fuel lines are a pain to set up with more than 4 outer engines. It'd be nice to know what's going on!

Edited by Rohaq

Anyone have issues with this not working? I installed from CKAN, clicked the button to set up Asparagus staging, and the VAB slows down like it's trying to do something, but then it just sits there, doing nothing at all, still slowed down minutes later. I've tried this with and without SmartStage installed.

Same problem here

KSP: 1.0.2 (Win32) - Unity: 4.6.4f1 - OS: Windows 8.1 (6.3.10074) 64bit <-really windows 10 build 10074

Filter Extensions - 2.1.2

AutoAsparagus - 0.9 <-0.9.1

Chatterer - 0.9.1.86

Color Coded Canisters - 1.1

Community Resource Pack - 0.4.2

Contract Configurator - 1.0.4

CC-CP-SCANSat - 0.5

Contract Pack: Kerbal Space Station - 1.4.1

Contract Pack: RemoteTech - 1.1.3

Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.5.1

DMagic Orbital Science - 1.0.3

Editor Extensions - 2.6

Fuel Tanks Plus - 0.8.2

RasterPropMonitor - 0.19.3

Kerbal Construction Time - 1.1.7

Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.0.16.6

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.3

KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5

LaunchCountDown - 1.7.5.86

Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.2

Final Frontier - 0.8.2.1285

RealChute - 1.3.2.3

RemoteTech - 1.6.4

AmpYear - 0.16

SCANsat - 1.1.2

SmartStage - 2.6.1

StageRecovery - 1.5.6

TAC Life Support - 0.11.1.20

Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.3.1.1

Alternate Resource Panel - 2.7.1

Transfer Window Planner - 1.3.0.1

Universal Storage - 1.1.0.3

• 3 weeks later...
This is breaking the undo function somehow after I use autoasparagus since when I try to undo, I get this exception:

Entirely possible. I don't have any hope that this will be fixed, since it's been a bug from day one. The best thing to do after running AutoAsparagus is to save the ship and re-load it, which is what I try to do automatically, but it doesn't work quite right.

Yep, that's what it looks like when it's stuck in an infinite loop. I have a bunch of infinite-loop detection logic, but I guess it's missing something.

Here's an image of the rocket I'm trying to set up. I ticked the 'bottom stage' box before hitting the Asparagus button.

EDIT: Creating a really basic rocket seems to work fine, any ideas why AutoAsparagus chokes on my setup above?

The logs might help (see http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92229-How-To-Get-Support-%28READ-FIRST%29 for where to get them) but the best thing would be a copy of the .craft file. I can try to recreate it from the picture when I get a chance.

EDIT 2: Hooking up the fuel lines in the bottom stage and using SmartStage seems to work fine, but fuel lines are a pain to set up with more than 4 outer engines. It'd be nice to know what's going on!

What is the root part on that ship? Also, does it work if you don't have fairings? (I assume that's what the part right above the middle grey tank is)

I'd like to see a "Put parts in currently selected stage" plugin. KSP just puts engines and decouplers in the stack where ever it wants, then you have to move them or hope that something like Smart Stage will place them properly.

Would be so much nicer if I could click on a stage in the stack and KSP would put all newly added engines and decouplers in that stage, until I select a different stage.

What else could this do? Right click on the icons in the stage stack to set properties, in the VAB/SPH and out. Would be *much* easier than having to rotate and zoom to get a view of a deeply buried part. 'Course the stack only shows engines, decouplers and parachutes. Something to display the entire rocket as a tweakable icon tree would be good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.