[1.10] AutoAsparagus v2.3.1

hab136

A bit annoying that the central tank apparently needs to be the root part. I've built the ship from the pod down (guess I'm having trouble getting used to the newfangled "anything can be root" idea), I attached decouplers in 6x symmetry, and then added tanks in 6x symmetry but it still refuses to place any fuel lines. If I build from the bottom up it works fine. Unfortunately that just isn't how I build things, I tend to create the payload and then guestimate what I need to lift it (none of these Manley-style, pen-and-paper calculations for me, that sounds like work).

You can have your command pod as the root part. The restriction is that the central tank needs to be higher up in the internal part tree than the tanks in symmetry. This should normally be true, since your tanks in symmetry are hanging off the central tank (even if there's stuff in between).

In "thrust-plate" type designs, this is not true - the central tank and the tanks in symmetry are both children of the thrust plate. One way to fix that, so that the central tank is higher, is to make the central tank the root part. Most designs shouldn't need to do that, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Was using this mod, when I clicked auto asparagus it caused my game to start going about 1 Frame every 5 seconds, until i clicked auto asparagus again, then it said: staging fuel lines and did nothing, but it stopped lagging. It's really odd.

Edit: Still happening its really annoying -_-

Edited by Boamere

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just downloaded and ran this.

It hooks up the fuel lines but doesn't set the staging. It also leaves empty green connection nodes all over the screen.

EDIT:

Nope, it's not Autoasparagus, it's a bug in the rocket I was working on. I built a simple probe with just fuel tanks and rockets, it staged correctly. I saved it as a prefab and when I imported into the rocket I was working on the staging broke.

Edited by xcorps

It hooks up the fuel lines but doesn't set the staging. It also leaves empty green connection nodes all over the screen.

EDIT:

Nope, it's not Autoasparagus, it's a bug in the rocket I was working on. I built a simple probe with just fuel tanks and rockets, it staged correctly. I saved it as a prefab and when I imported into the rocket I was working on the staging broke.

This happens to me quite a lot, whether it is on a new rocket or an old one

Can't see the button in toolbar :(

http://iceimg.com/UF5WQxrp/screenshot0.png

Using Toolbar 1.6.0 and AutoAsparagus 0.4, also tested without other mods but still not working

Is AutoAsparagus in GameData\AutoAsparagus? If you put it under another directory (like GameData\foo\AutoAsparagus, or GameData\GameData\AutoAsparagus) it will still work but you won't be able to see the icons.

EDIT:

This happens to me quite a lot, whether it is on a new rocket or an old one

There's a known bug with AutoAsparagus where the staging doesn't "stick". You have to either save and reload the craft after staging, or add an empty stage and then remove it. If you do anything else, like add a part, the staging will come undone.

You can of course re-run AutoAsparagus to put the staging back.

(As far as I know, I'm calling all the right functions to set the staging.. I don't know what to do to make the staging stick. There's almost no documentation from Squad and AFAIK no other mod tries to modify staging in the editor, so I can't see how anyone else does it)

• 2 weeks later...
Does this work with KMP?

I've never tested it, but the mod only affects the editor and doesn't introduce any new parts, so there should be no problem. See https://github.com/TehGimp/KerbalMultiPlayer/blob/master/README.md on how to configure the server. They specifically mention EditorExtensions, and AutoAsparagus works mostly the same way (only in the editor, doesn't introduce new parts): "Mods that only affect the client (e.g. EditorExtensions) can be placed in an "Optional" directory, so clients can use them if they want to."

i've got a werid bug with this... if i click auto asparagus it does half the fuel lines... but the other half has fuel lines but are directly connected to the main rocket.

i'm using KW and Novapunch parts... is this the problem?

Using other part packs should be ok as long as they name things consistently ("tank", "decoupler") in the part name (not the display name). I haven't specifically tested against any part packs, just browsed their part names to make sure they fit the scheme. However if you have a specific craft that is failing, I can take a look at it if you share the .craft file.

I finally found some time to play again this week and started a "hard mode" game with RemoteTech, FAR, Deadly Re-entry, Bargain parts (hilarious, BTW), Kethane, Extraplanetary Launchpads, and a few others. One bug I've encountered is that AutoAsparagus *really* does not like side fairings, since it thinks they're decouplers. So if you're using fairings, run AutoAsparagus before you put on the fairings.

• 1 month later...

BTW, I've uploaded to Curse and expect it to be approved shortly. See this thread about the KSP-Curse annoucement.

Just wanted to say this has to be one of the most useful mods I've ever found, and has become a staple. Absolutely essential.

Thanks! I made this mostly because I wanted it to exist for my own use, but it definitely makes me happy to hear that others are happy with it :)

• 1 month later...
Wow! This is a really cool plugin. One suggestion I have for a future version, is to add a function that let's you change the asparagus symmetry from x2, to x3, and x4 etc.

That would be possible with a lot of work, but... why? It would be less efficient.

Great work. This plugin is super helpful. I personally don't like the icons because they don't fit great with the rest of KSP, so, I made some new ones.

png and psd files are included. Link (MediaFire)

Edit: By the way, the onion icon is still super WIP

Edited by cj81499

Have a problem here. AutoAsparagus is great for even numbers of stages, but not for odd numbers. I need the ability to do 3x Asparagus.

Using Editor Extensions, its possible to add a decoupler every 40 degree, resulting in a ring of 9. 9 is the maximum number of standard FL-T800's around Rockomax X200's with decouplers. I go for more Rockomax after.

• 2 weeks later...

Just posted an update.

New in v0.5:

* Allow dropping more than two tanks at a time, such as 3 tanks at a time for a 9-tank ring (suggested by Ival70 and Tahib). Turns out it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

* Better icons (thanks cj81499!)

* Updated Toolbar plugin to latest release

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having issues when I build big asparagus staged rockets. The plugin works great with simple rockets but if I build a big rocket with large boosters and multiple (3 to5) decouplers per booster and multiple parachutes per booster the plugin makes a mess of the stages. The only thing it did was add the fuel hoses correctly and maybe one stage, the rest of it I needed to fix myself, its almost as tedious as just doing it from scratch. (almost) :)

Any help would be appreciated

Randy

if I build a big rocket with large boosters and multiple (3 to5) decouplers per booster and multiple parachutes per booster the plugin makes a mess of the stages.

Yes, that's a known limitation. Large boosters are fine, and multiple parachutes per booster are fine. Multiple rings of decouplers are not fine. Here's my awesome MS Paint skills to demonstrate:

WbTpluj.png

hab136 i hope you read this becouse i just have to say that this mod is amazing ! /plugin

last time when i had this installed was in version 0.21 ( ? ) and it had .. lots of bugs even crashed my game sometimes , but now! no bugs much faster and it works with toolbar plugin .. thx for this mod/plugin :D

Hmmm. So I tried a simple rocket, six boosters and 3-4 decouplers per booster. And this is what I get. It stages the parachutes in stage3, and the main engine in the last stage. and puts one set of decouplers all by themselves. Is this the expected behavior or am I doing something outside of its limitations? I love the plugin, just still a little confused on its limitation.

screenshot15_zps26226832.png

Hmmm. So I tried a simple rocket, six boosters and 3-4 decouplers per booster. And this is what I get. It stages the parachutes in stage3, and the main engine in the last stage. and puts one set of decouplers all by themselves. Is this the expected behavior or am I doing something outside of its limitations? I love the plugin, just still a little confused on its limitation.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab252/mattbrady/screenshot15_zps26226832.png

Did you read what the author replied to your last post? You don't need multiple decouplers anyway, just use struts.

Did you read what the author replied to your last post? You don't need multiple decouplers anyway, just use struts.

YES I read it, but didn't think what I was doing was the same as he explained. I'll try it with just one decoupler and struts and see what happens.

Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.