[0.23] ActionGroupManager (AGM) 1.3.2.0 (29/01/2014) : bugfixes

SirJulio

28/12/2013 Edit

New version 1.3.2.0

(Download link is at the bottom of the post)

• Fixed a bug causing stocked experiments to disappear.
  • Updated to Toolbar 1.4.4 (included in the download).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

i'm here to present my mod ActionGroupManager (AGM). I'm working on it for some weeks, and i think it's ready to be released here to the public.

What does this mod do :

Well, it all started with a simple idea : You cannot edit, ingame, action groups when you're not in the hangar anymore. Depending on the case, it can be just annoying or really infuriating. That's what this mod try to fix. It will allow you to edit in almost any way you can think of your action group in flight. It can be used for small mistake on small probes (*cough* forgot to bind your solar panel before launch ... *cough*) or for large interplanetary vessel (there is filters to help you manage your action, even with high number of parts).

Features :

• Add, Remove, Edit your action groups in flight.
  • New 1.3.0.0 : Manage your action groups with the build in context click.
  • Add or remove all the symmetry counterparts of a part.
  • Mod friendly. If a mod use a part which use the Squad pattern of Module (almost all), this mod will recognize it.
  • Looking for a part in your 1000 parts vessel ? Don't worry, you can filter your parts list by category (same as in the editor), by stage.
  • Not finding it ? Try typing the part name in plain text.
  • Still not ? You can highlight any managed part at any time.
  • All your current action group binding are shown too. Each group show the number of action associated and you can access easily to a whole group to add a part, edit or delete it.
  • The mod can handle(1) vessel change, part destruction, decoupling, docking etc ... Furthermore, i tried with some mods adding new mechanics (like KAS) and it seems to work perfectly.
  • Tooltips !
  • Recap window to provide a quick summary of all action groups. Click the "R" button on the top right of the main window.

(1) event handling is a process of trials and errors, if you have any problems with a particular situation, please, let me know.

Installation :

Unzip the content of the archive in your KSP main folder.

How to use it :

Here's the idea. You have the parts list on the left, and the current selected action to the right. Just below that, you have a grid of all action groups in the game. Around that are filters (Category at the top, and string search at the very bottom of the window).

• I want to create a new action group ?
    Let's say, you have a two engine ship and want to toggle it with "3". Search the parts concerned in the left panel. You can click on propulsion to filter parts. Once found, click on it, the available actions will appear. You see the "Toggle Engine" that's what you looking for. Click on the right arrow next to it, to add it to the current action selected. When you click it, the right arrow become a left one : Click on it to remove this specific action. Do the same thing for the other engine. Now you have your two actions in the right panel. To add it to an action group, the third custom here, click on "Custom 3" button below which enabled when you added action to the right panel. Once clicked, all selected action will disappear. Your new action group is created and working right now. Try.
  • I want to edit an action group ?
    Engineers didn't told you that your two engines ship is actually a .... three engines ship .... Well, your newly created action group is useless now. Let's fix that. All part associated in an action group show a little button in the left panel. Here when you look at your engine in the left panel, you see two with a little "3" next to them, and one with nothing. Click on that little "3". All the parts associated with that group are loaded. Now, in the left panel, click on the missing engine, and add "Toggle engine". Your right panel shows three "toggle engine now". To associate all the parts, just click on the "custom 03" button at the bottom. The right panel disappear, your modified action group 03 is updated ("Custom 03" must have a 3 in the action group grid at the bottom of the window).
  • I want to delete an action group ?
    Imagine you want to delete all parts in the action group 3, you've just created. Search your engine, and when you find one, click on the "3" button showing to the right of the part name. You just loaded the whole "custom 03" group in the right panel. To delete it, just click on the top left button of this panel ("Remove ..."). A confirmation click is required, so click one more time to delete it. Your action group is deleted, you can see at the very bottom of the window that the custom03 doesn't show number in parenthesis anymore.
  • New 1.3.0.0 : How to use the context UI mode ?
    It's pretty straightforward. Active the mod by right clicking your root part (your pod, sometimes a docking node). Select "AGM : Enable". Now click on any part and you'll see all bindable actions. Click on an action. All other action will disappear and two new item will appear : "General" and "Custom". See that as folders, if you want to add your action to a numeral action group (Custom 05 by example) click Custom otherwise click General. Now once clicked the folder will unfold and show action groups. Click on one to bind the current action with this action group. Once clicked the action group will appear with asterisks : Your action is binded, you can close the context menu. A special case is if your part has any symmetry. In that case after clicking on the action group, two new choices will appear : "Only this part" will only associate this part and action to the action group. "This part and all symmetry" will find the same action in all the symmetry counter parts and add them as well. All menu act as folder who can fold and unfold : You selected "Activate engine" on your engine, but wanted to select "Toggle Engine", just click on the "Activate Engine" button and you'll be back to the Action selection. It works at any level of the button hierarchy. Finally when you finished all your action group stuff, just click on your root and "AGM : Disable". Your context menu are now back to normal.
  • How can I add a part and all the symmetry counter parts ?
    If a part has any symmetry parts, a new button will be displayed next to the add or remove one : double arrow (">>" or "<<"). Use this button to add or remove all the symmetry group at once.
  • How can I highlight a part ?
    Click the "!" icon next to a part in the left panel. It's an On/Off button, you can click more than one.
  • What's the "F" button in the right panel next to each part listed ?
    It allow you to find the part in the left panel. Click on it and the corresponding part will unfold in the left panel.
  • How can I clear the right panel list ?
    Click on the "x" at the top right of the list.
  • How can i search a part by his name ?
    There is a textbox at the very bottom of the window. Parts are filtered as you type. To clear the text, click the "X" next to the textbox.

Screens ! :

1.3.0.0 :

Javascript is disabled. View full album

1.2.0.0 :

1.1.0.1 :

(current version 1.3.2.0)

Download

Alternate

Source on Github

License :

The code and icon are released under the terms of the WTFPL. Basically in public domain, do what you want with it.

Toolbar Plugin is licensed under the BSD 2-clause license.

Known issues.

- When you select an action on a part and this part has only one action bindable (Decoupler, RCS thruster, antenna), the folder will appear, but the action will disappear unlike any other part which has two or more actions. I don't have at the moment the solution to prevent that, but it's only a visual issue, everything work as usual.

- When you enable or disable the mod in the root part, actions of this root part will not appear immediately. Close the context menu (click anywhere) and open it again.

Squad for this awesome game.

blizzy78 for his Toolbar, great works.

taraniselsu for all his mods, and examples.

macbernick and Pontiac for the inspiration and their addon "the Action on the Fly" Addon

Changelog :

* Fixed a bug causing science experiment to disappear when switching vessel

* Updated to Toolbar 1.4.4

* New Recap window.

* Unavailable categories are now deactivated in the main window.

* Updated to Toolbar 1.3

* New context menu mode.

* Updated to Toolbar 1.2

* Added the mod version in the settings window

* 0.23 compatibility. Nothing changed.

* Can now add or remove a part and all the symmetry counter parts with a single button.

* Added tooltip for all buttons.

* Now, when the list is empty, the bottom buttons are only activated if there is parts linked to that action group.

* Fixed a bug causing the main window to reappear on vessel switch

* Bottom button are active even when the list is empty now. Click on it when a list is empty and it bring the current action group action to the list.

* Lots of change in the UI.

* No more two tabs. One tab handle all the operations now.

* Introduced the selected actions list

* Category filter show number of parts

* Integration with blizzy78 Toolbar plugin.

* Internal tweaking and cleaning.

Initial release

Have fun and "Fly safe"â„¢

Edited by SirJulio
1.3.2.0 Release

Have you ever heared about Actions on the Fly mod?

I guess it is somewhat a development of this idea.

However the principles of editing are very different.

Probably they would work well combined in some situations, is there any reason for incompatability? :huh:

Edited by Absolute Human

I've try it an found UI overcomplicated. Sorry, I don't want to be negative, but this is my opinion at the moment.

More parts in the vessel the worse it gets. So back to ActionsOnTheFly until more handy UI... ¯\_(-_-)_/¯

But keep going, such functionality is pretty needed in KSP!

Have you ever heared about Actions on the Fly mod?

I guess it is somewhat a development of this idea.

However the principles of editing are very different.

Probably they would work well combined in some situations, is there any reason for incompatability? :huh:

I discover AotF after the start of this project actually. Just a thing maybe, my mod will probably register AotF added actions, i need to test that.

I've try it an found UI overcomplicated. Sorry, I don't want to be negative, but this is my opinion at the moment.

More parts in the vessel the worse it gets. So back to ActionsOnTheFly until more handy UI... ¯\_(-_-)_/¯

But keep going, such functionality is pretty needed in KSP!

No, no don't be sorry. I kind of love over-complicated and dense GUI with buttons that pops everywhere. Yeah i'm probably not born to be an UI designer. =) But i will probably, when i come back from the world of Starbound, try to add a more compact and straightforward way to manage that. I understand that this kind of mod can be useful for heavy editing while parked in orbit, but not straightforward enough for short editing. The AotF author (macbernick) seems to be MIA, i will try to contact him anyway and see if he doesn't see problems with me reworking and incorporating his code. The license allow me to, but you know always nice to ask. In such case, we could have the best of both worlds. I keep you all posted on that. =)

I feel one functionality was lost with the update from ver. 1.0.0.0. to ver. 1.1.0.0., that is the ability to check what actions are currently associated with any of the AG buttons. At least, I can't find an easy way to do that now. Those buttons in the lower part of the window would do nicely, if only they were active when I open the window, and not only when I select one AG from the parts.

Unfortunately for me, that single functionality was the most important with this tool.

I feel one functionality was lost with the update from ver. 1.0.0.0. to ver. 1.1.0.0., that is the ability to check what actions are currently associated with any of the AG buttons. At least, I can't find an easy way to do that now. Those buttons in the lower part of the window would do nicely, if only they were active when I open the window, and not only when I select one AG from the parts.

Unfortunately for me, that single functionality was the most important with this tool.

Yeah i understand. I try some UI design to see what is the most efficient, and i ditched i wasn't satisfied with the way it worked with the rest. I may reintroduce it again, if i find a way to manage it internaly. The problem was that the button would select your named actiongroup and also be used to delete it. I didn't like the design of that, but i will think about it.

Yeah i understand. I try some UI design to see what is the most efficient, and i ditched i wasn't satisfied with the way it worked with the rest. I may reintroduce it again, if i find a way to manage it internaly. The problem was that the button would select your named actiongroup and also be used to delete it. I didn't like the design of that, but i will think about it.

Great. Many thanks for your attention. I really hope you'll find a way to make that work again.

So with the buttons on bottom, I have to make sure to close one out before clicking on another one on bottom, because this will duplicate the previous action group? This took me a while to get, I couldn't figure out why each action group had same parts in them.

Yes, if the list is not empty, the button will associate the current list with the action group.

@ Sir Julio: many thanks for the fix. You did it real fast!

I am happy with this version, however I see why others may find difficulties.

What about defining "modes" with the window, so as to switch from "view mode" to "edit mode" (and perhaps open to other modes if need be in future?). Even if it adds another button to the window to select modes, it may be worth the effort.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.