KSP .23 VAB "stealth crashes" game

Good afternoon, newbie here. I am running the latest non-Steam release of KSP .23 on my late 2011 13 inch MBP running Lion 10.7.5 and I seem the be having problems with connecting certain parts together in the VAB, but the manner in which the game crashes (freezes or hangs) doesn't generate a proper error log. I think I may have narrowed it down to connecting the 1-m aerodynamic nosecone to an Advanced SAS unit while there are connecting struts in the way with radial symmetry is turned on - it's hard to remember if I had it turned on prior to placing the cone on top of the SAS unit, or if I had symmetry turned off and turned it on to place the part on my 4 radial lander motors. My game "beachballs" and will not let me tab back over to the KSP window once I have tabbed away from it, and there is no crash report that comes up.

I'm running vanilla KSP, no add-ons or mods. It's been 15 minutes since I tabbed out of the game to the Finder and my laptop is still running in fast-fan mode and will still not let me back into the game unless I tell it to force quit.

*UPDATE* - I have determined if the nosecone is set to symmetry mode first and then placed on the SAS unit (or other part), it doesn't cause the crash, even if I switch over to non-symmetry and back again. The problem only seems to occur when I am in the VAB and attempt to put the nose cone on top of any other part that happens to be in symmetry mode(or in the latest case, accidentally matching up to the bottom of a fuel tank) and have the selected part I'm trying to place be in non-symmetry mode.

TL/DR -

* Macbook Pro 13" Late 2011 model - OS X Lion, Intel HD Graphics 3000 GPU

* Non-Steam KSP client with clean install

What happens: In VAB: hen placing 1-m aerodynamic nose cone that is in non-symmetry mode onto a fuel tank or object that's in symmetry mode, and then switching the nose cone to symmetry mode, the game hangs indefinitely.

How to reproduce:

* From VAB, place fuel tanks in symmetry mode around a center axis (i.e. another fuel tank).

* Select 1-m Aerodynamic Nose Cone (the one with the blue tip) and change to non-symmetry mode.

* Reactivate symmetry mode while placing the nosecone on top of one of the symmetrical fuel tanks.

* All instances of the nose cone spawn on top of only the selected fuel tank - game hangs and does not generate a crash log.

Notes:

* Other objects do not cause this hang/crash phenomena - only the 1-m nose cone.

Edited by alaskanime
Added "TL/DR" section in proper bug reporting format

having the exact same issue on a mac pro running 10.7.5. stock game, no mods, nose cones hang the game in the same symmetry situation.

gonna start troubleshooting/reinstalling things and see if anything changes it.

Edited by Vanamonde

It could well be a graphics driver bug. On a relatively recent Mac, the GPU drivers are quite likely to have been relatively new in 10.7. Upgrading to 10.8 (if you want mature stability), or 10.9 (if you don't mind the bleeding edge) should give you more mature graphics drivers. 10.7->10.8 isn't too painful a jump, on the whole, unless you've got a strong known reason to stay on 10.7.

ok finished troubleshooting. it happens on 2 different macs that i have, and on 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9.

tried a completely fresh install of 10.9 and installed nothing but the stock ksp and it still happens. so no fix it seems until squad makes one.

pretty much makes my mod game unplayable :/

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.