Squad's stand on SOPA/PIPA

Mauro

Hello!

As you may or may not know, there are some law proposals in USA called SOPA and PIPA.

Both of them would enable copyright holders/trolls/bad people to take down entire websites based merely on accusations that may not even be true.

These kinds of laws go completely against the freedom of the internet, and as such, we (Squad) are OPPOSED to them.

We are against piracy, but we believe SOPA/PIPA and similar proposals are absolutely not the right way to act.

If you want to know more about SOPA/PIPA and how to stop it, we recommend that you check out the wikipedia initiative on SOPA (and PIPA), which is (for today) the only article available in the English version.

I\'m also a developer in Squad, but this is my own personal opinion, it doesn\'t necessarily reflect Squad\'s point of view.

The US government is just afraid of organizations like Wikileaks or Anonymous, if SOPA is approved, the will be able to create an excuse to shut them down. But this principle doesn\'t stop there, they can pretty much shut down any website they want for whatever reason. This is just wrong. I agree that online piracy is a problem, I myself am owner of copyrighted material, and I don\'t like the idea of being a victim of online piracy, but I certainly don\'t agree with such an extreme measure to stop it.

*fixed a typo

If SOPA had been in effect since last year, KSP would simply not exist.

All of KSP\'s success was due to players making and posting videos and screenshots of the game on forums and social networks, practices which SOPA aims to make illegal if it came to pass as law.

We\'ve blacked out our forum header in protest against this atrocity against the intellectual freedom of humanity as a whole.

STOP SOPA!

If SOPA had been in effect since last year, KSP would simply not exist.

All of KSP\'s success was due to players making and posting videos and screenshots of the game on forums and social networks, practices which SOPA aims to make illegal if it came to pass as law.

We\'ve blacked out our forum header in protest against this atrocity against the intellectual freedom of humanity as a whole.

STOP SOPA!

You should post a bulletin on the main page of the KSP website to say 'If sopa is passed, it\'s okay to make videos/ take photos, record music, montages, etc!'

You should post a bulletin on the main page of the KSP website to say 'If sopa is passed, it\'s okay to make videos/ take photos, record music, montages, etc!'

The point is that the sites to which users could upload those videos/screenshots/montages/etc would no longer exist under SOPA/PIPA.

Squad! Take my sword in the fight for freedom! \'Merica!

†

*Yes, i know you guys work in \'Merica\'s 'Pants', but you can still help, just like the guys in \'Merica\'s hat can. Sorry if offensive. :D

oh yea. COPYRIGHT 2012 DINOSAUR_MCGINLEY BLAH BLAH BLAH ©©©©

Happy, government?

'Any society who would take away a little liberty, to gain a little security, would deserve neither, and lose both.'

-Ben Franklin.

Laws like these are, in their worst application, steps down a path towards the end, of what once made nations great places to live, Personal Freedom.

Unfortunantly, those in power cannot tolerate the level of diversity that this freedom brings, because they fear the changes it brings to their society.

They do not understand, that Personal Freedom, Diversity and change is the only things that allows any group to survive changes in their surroundings, that they cannot control.

Because things always change... sooner or later... things will happen... that you cannot control... and you must have the diversity... to adapt.

Did I go all philosofical again? Sorry mister senator, I\'llgogetmymedicationrightaway :P

Photo bucket ect would be shut down. Flash game hosting sites would be removed and America would be try to extradite the whole world to there shores for prosecution. Another case of 'America.....World police' Personaly I think its America looks at all the money china has and thought...'hey, they monitor EVERYTHING there population do on the Internet to brain wash and control them...and china has tons of money too...let\'s copy what china does'

On the bright side though. Apple would only be able to advertise the apps store for what it really is...1500apps with 285000 crap copies!

'Any society who would take away a little liberty, to gain a little security, would deserve neither, and lose both.'

-Ben Franklin.

-snip-

Did I go all philosofical again? Sorry mister senator, I\'llgogetmymedicationrightaway :P

In my opinion it\'s all about greed rather than security. But either way liberty suffers badly.

How did your medication go? :D

America would be try to extradite the whole world to there shores for prosecution (...)

No no no America cannot do that! America gonna burst! :P

Imagine if you were able to genetically combine Osama bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, Darth Vader and Barbara Streisand into one horrifically terrifying being.
Now imagine that being is actually a piece of proposed legislature — the terrifying creation in your midst would then be the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) which is currently being considered by the House.

Oh, also, to SATISFY GOVERMENT, here is alink to the site where I got it from.

http://blog.hostgator.com/2011/12/22/sopa-must-die/

I support this so much, that I wasted an hour of my life that could have been used to go outside and play, read a book, or play a video game. But no, I decided to write an essay on my view of SOPA. Government of the United states of America, I want my liberty back:

America: Not as free as you\'d think

America. Honestly, people. America, The land of the free and the home of the brave. Well, the internet is losing it\'s freedom as this is typed. SOPA, the Stop Online Piracy Act, is essentally going to allow any moron to shut down any site, whether or not it infringes his or her rights. It also doesn\'t require any evidince of any sort, which is essentally saying 'Oh, you don\'t like this website? Here you go, it\'s gone!' This god-awful law is a horrible solution to a horrible problem. On Janurary 18, 2012 over 7,000 websites were blacked out by their own will to protest against SOPA, and this has only outraged Americans as word spread just days before Janurary 18. And, I out of anybody who might be reading this letter to you Sir/Ma\'am, I certainly will let you know how I feel about this act which should not be approved by any means necessary.

Piracy is a big problem, but is also good, in some cases. People are sucessful, not because somebody made something horrible. Have you heard the word 'Meme'? It\'s something that\'s sucessful and passed around a lot. Yet you don\'t see somebody going around saying 'Hey, idiot! I made that, not you! Sue, sue, sue!', but rather 'Nice job guys! The comunity is really growing around the thing I have made!'. The reality is this; people APPRECIATE having their things shared, they don\'t hate it! John Clark testified about illegal pirating in the monline medical feild, in which I respect the feild very highly for. IF this bill is passed then it should only be avaliable to the high-ranking government officals. Rep. Lamar Smith proposed this outrageous bill and had people like John Smith backing him up on this. And, this to me is very dissappointing to me, and my fellow Americans.

This bill is a horrific monster, in my opinion. Not because it will, say, take down Youtubeâ„¢, or Facebookâ„¢, Wikipediaâ„¢, etc..., but because that in doing so, you are destroying people\'s ability to learn, as well as other\'s hard work and effort. Imagine this: You made a Youtubeâ„¢ video, and it went viral. Lets say, something like 1,265,965 views in an hour since posting. Then, sombody you don\'t know, completely out of the blue just comes up to you, says'This video infringes on my rights, cuz I have had that music on mah laptop for teh longest tiemz. INFRINGEMENT! ' and removes your video. Wouldn\'t that make you mad, like you wanted to kill that person? That\'s SOPA on a very, very small scale. This bill will let the government take down any site they want and abuse their powers. Its just like communism, if the government runs this way today it is run that way the next day, and the day after. The police everywhere, looking for people who don\'t agree with the government\'s ideas and being around up in the middle of the night just for speaking their mind. Unforntantly, this happened before. Once a government is corrupt, then the whole country goes down the tubes, with no one to turn it back to normal because of the new laws they impliment to keep the people just so they can do it a while longer.

I won\'t see the internet, possibly the greatest invention of our time yet, go to waste. I, just like everybody else, use everyday to find out information. And so do the schools, I mean, if SOPA was passed then what if Wikipediaâ„¢ was shut down, what else the schools use if Googleâ„¢ was shut down as well? And, what if Amazonâ„¢ got shut down, they are an online-only store, and will be run out of business because of this act, with the same story for eBayâ„¢. If you have a Facebookâ„¢, Twitterâ„¢, Myspaceâ„¢, or a Gmailâ„¢ then it will be greatly affected, you can more than certainly count on it. I am not trying to start a riot, or a fight, or a 'My dad can beat your dad' situation, but just a peaceful protest. I would prefer that the sites themselves have to monitor everything posted on them rather than the government. It may be more work for the sites, but in the long run, it would be better for everybody. I will not stand for this and, therefore am completely against this act against freedom. I may have my back against the wall here, but I can and I will stand against this bill for all that its worth.

These are my words, and I speak them boldy and proudly, as a true American should.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.