[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

Just now, Raptor831 said:

RF+Stockalike configs gives engines realistic TWR, which makes RSS much more doable with stock-ish parts. Stock-sized orbital rockets will not get you to orbit in RSS with or without RF Stockalike configs. RSS delta-V to orbit is just under 3 times more than stock Kerbin dV to orbit. RF will give you better TWR on tanks and engines, so a Mainsail with a single orange tank will get you more dV on RF, but not enough to simply take Kerbal X and get to orbit in RSS.

If you're using Stockalike, make sure you grab the latest version. I had some RCS effects issues that just got fixed. If it isn't that, I honestly don't know.

Just now, Raptor831 said:

RF+Stockalike configs gives engines realistic TWR, which makes RSS much more doable with stock-ish parts. Stock-sized orbital rockets will not get you to orbit in RSS with or without RF Stockalike configs. RSS delta-V to orbit is just under 3 times more than stock Kerbin dV to orbit. RF will give you better TWR on tanks and engines, so a Mainsail with a single orange tank will get you more dV on RF, but not enough to simply take Kerbal X and get to orbit in RSS.

If you're using Stockalike, make sure you grab the latest version. I had some RCS effects issues that just got fixed. If it isn't that, I honestly don't know.

Yea i'm using stock alike For RF

2 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

Ah, so if I want to get to orbit, I need tweakscale? 

I'd avoid Tweakscale with RF/RSS or RO, unless it's fuel tanks or structural parts. I seem to remember hearing about a lot of odd behavior using Tweakscale, but I can't confirm that.

I'd suggest Procedural Parts. It's not "officially" updated for KSP v1.2.2, but there is a dev build if you are willing to go find it. But Procedural parts will give you much more control over fuel tanks and some structural things. In fact, all of the procedural mods (PWings, Procedural Parts, Procedural Fairings) I would consider almost required for 6.4x scale and above. Your computer will thank you for the reduced part counts.

On 1/14/2017 at 7:00 PM, Raptor831 said:

Proc Parts should line up with stock by default. RF configs change them to realistic dry masses.

I really am a bit worried, idk if I can play with procedural parts and what not, I dunno man, it does seem like a nice parts mod, but I dunno tbh

16 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

I really am a bit worried, idk if I can play with procedural parts and what not, I dunno man, it does seem like a nice parts mod, but I dunno tbh

what are you worried about? Afraid you'll never go back?

7 minutes ago, rsparkyc said:

what are you worried about? Afraid you'll never go back?

I don't like constantly installing and then finding out RSS is too hard and I gotta quit. I wanna be careful and not try it again, RSS has hurt me before, she's a tough mistress, she's in my profile pic :)

Edited by The-Doctor

1 minute ago, The-Doctor said:

I don't like constantly installing and then finding out RSS is too hard and I gotta quit. I wanna be careful and not try it again, RSS has hurt me before

Honestly, I find that I have a hard time playing WITHOUT RSS.  However, RO/RP-0 is what really makes it.  By going through the "campaign" mode with RP-0, you get slowly introduced to the parts that are available and how to use them.  I'm really looking forward to when we'll have RO and RP-0 out for 1.2.2, I'll probably start a new youtube series for that (check out my signature for my 1.1.3 Realism Overhaul campaign)

1 minute ago, rsparkyc said:

Honestly, I find that I have a hard time playing WITHOUT RSS.  However, RO/RP-0 is what really makes it.  By going through the "campaign" mode with RP-0, you get slowly introduced to the parts that are available and how to use them.  I'm really looking forward to when we'll have RO and RP-0 out for 1.2.2, I'll probably start a new youtube series for that (check out my signature for my 1.1.3 Realism Overhaul campaign)

Same so much so thati haven't touched KSP for months just waiting for the mods to catch up with the KSP update.On that note all the mods required do make me  want to give up on KSP at times. Like right now. I just installed mods and I keep having problems. Like Weird puffy smoke coming out of my ant engine on the launch pad even when the engine is not on. I don't know where to ask for help or what I need to do to help the people who can potentially help me. All I can do is post a screen shot of the issue as I did above.. I installed the Update for Stock alike config for Real fuels. I guess next step would be to reinstall Real plumes fully?

5 minutes ago, rsparkyc said:

link your youtube channel, also, uhh, RP-0 seems complex, engine ignitions looks complex af

1 minute ago, Dermeister said:

Same so much so thati haven't touched KSP for months just waiting for the mods to catch up with the KSP update.On that note all the mods required do make me  want to give up on KSP at times. Like right now. I just installed mods and I keep having problems. Like Weird puffy smoke coming out of my ant engine on the launch pad even when the engine is not on. I don't know where to ask for help or what I need to do to help the people who can potentially help me. All I can do is post a screen shot of the issue as I did above.. I installed the Update for Stock alike config for Real fuels. I guess next step would be to reinstall Real plumes fully?

That might be a mod that adds cryogenic effects

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:38 PM, rsparkyc said:

That might be a mod that adds cryogenic effects

Turns out it was the Real plumes causing the bug! I renstall all of the real plume mods and it fixed it

Edited by Dermeister

1 minute ago, The-Doctor said:

link your youtube channel, also, uhh, RP-0 seems complex, engine ignitions looks complex af

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQYHXr4-UcwsKBnWGJBtRGD1CingmtzSZ That's my RO playlist.  Honestly, when you think about engine ignitions, how many times do you really need to ignite your main stage.  Once! :)  If you needed to do it more than that in real life, then we would have put that design feature in.  Also, there are plenty of upper stage engines that DO have multiple ignitions, and other engine configurations that don't have ullage.  You can do it, and there's plenty of people who would help you with the technical aspects if you get stuck.

Hi, just a small question.

The LV-10-104 is 600 kg and the LV-10-37 is 54 kg, other than that both engine seems pretty close in stats and size. Is it normal ?

They are configured in RealFuels-Stockalike/Stockalike_SXT.cfg just so you don't spend too much time searching for it.

Edited by Thomot512

4 hours ago, Thomot512 said:

Hi, just a small question.

The LV-10-104 is 600 kg and the LV-10-37 is 54 kg, other than that both engine seems pretty close in stats and size. Is it normal ?

They are configured in RealFuels-Stockalike/Stockalike_SXT.cfg just so you don't spend too much time searching for it.

Might want to report that in the RF Stockalike thread.

hello fellow kerbonauts

I don't know if im asking this in the right tread but i am trying to make my own engine based of the RD-191 design. I copied the RD-191 file and changed the name to RD-291 i also changed the scale of the model to 75% of the original rd-191. I also copied the RD191 engine_config file and changed that name to RD291 and also changed the names in that file that were originaly rd 191 to 291 and changed some other values like thrust and initions to make it realistic. but when i try out the engine in ksp rss i can make use of the engine but it stil is using lqdfuel and oxidiser   and the trhust and isp values are also of the non-ro type. How can i fix the link between the model file and the engine_config file so my engine works like pretended?

thanks in advance :wink:

2 hours ago, kerboman25 said:

I copied the RD-191 file and changed the name to RD-291 i also changed the scale of the model to 75% of the original rd-191.

You mean that you created a new part via MM? If so, can you post this config?

I also copied the RD191 engine_config file and changed that name to RD291 and also changed the names in that file that were originaly rd 191 to 291

The modified engine config comes from RO? If so, can you post this config too?

but when i try out the engine in ksp rss i can make use of the engine but it stil is using lqdfuel and oxidiser   and the trhust and isp values are also of the non-ro type.

There is a specific parameter (RSSROConfig) that flags the parts as being compatible with RO. Have you specified that in your original part config?

hey phineas

Thx for the quick response no i did not create a new part via mm. I used the model of the RD-191 and scaled it down. I also changed a file in the realfuels folder but it ha no effect either.

The engine configs do come from RO folder.

Here is a link to the to files i changed: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bw904_cO3bhvOEFyaEZZbUc0QkU?usp=sharing

I hope you find out what i have to do to make it work.

Edited by kerboman25

@kerboman25 use these and tell me if they work. I cannot test them now. Save them as .cfg files and drop them anywhere inside your GameData folder.

Part config:

//  ==================================================
//  Copy the RD-191 engine to make our own.

+PART[RD191_StockVersion]:FIRST
{
    @name = RD291
}

//  RD-291 engine.

@PART[RD291]:FOR[RealismOverhaul]
{
    %RSSROConfig = True

@MODEL
    {
        @scale = 0.47, 0.47, 0.47
    }

%scale = 0.47
    @rescaleFactor = 1.0

@node_stack_top = 0.0, 2.125, 0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
    @node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.840, 0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
    !node_attach = NULL

@attachRules = 1,0,1,0,0

@category = Engine

@mass = 1.85
    @crashTolerance = 10
    @breakingForce = 250
    @breakingTorque = 250
    @maxTemp = 573.15
    %skinMaxTemp 673.15

%engineType = RD291
    %engineTypeMult = 1
    %massOffset = 0
    %ignoreMass = False

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        @minThrust = 565
        @maxThrust = 2090
        @heatProduction = 100
        %ullage = True
        %pressureFed = False
        %ignitions = 4

@PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]
        {
            @name = Kerosene
            @ratio = 0.349
        }

@PROPELLANT[Oxidizer]
        {
            @name = LqdOxygen
            @ratio = 0.651
        }

@atmosphereCurve
        {
            @key,0 = 0 337.5
            @key,1 = 1 311.2
        }
    }

@MODULE[ModuleJettison],*
    {
        %isFairing = True
    }
}

Global engine config:

//  RD-291 global engine configuration.

//  Sources:

//      http://web.archive.org/web/20140705154556/http://www.npoenergomash.ru/eng/engines/rd191/
//      http://www.npoenergomash.ru/dejatelnost/engines/rd181/
//      http://www.spaceflight101.net/kslv-stsat-2c-launch-updates.html

//  Used by:
//      Bobcat

@PART[*]:HAS[#engineType[RD291]]:FOR[RealismOverhaulEngines]
{
    %category = Engine
    %title = RD-291
    %manufacturer = NPO Energomash
    %description = A smaller RD-191 to make a reusable engine with high efficiency. Diameter: [0.9 m].

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        %EngineType = LiquidFuel
    }

!MODULE[ModuleEngineConfigs],*{}

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleEngineConfigs
        configuration = RD-291
        modded = false
        origMass = 1.85

CONFIG
        {
            name = RD-291
            minThrust = 325
            maxThrust = 1060
            heatProduction = 100
            massMult = 1.0

ullage = True
            pressureFed = False
            ignitions = 4

IGNITOR_RESOURCE
            {
                name = ElectricCharge
                amount = 0.5
            }

IGNITOR_RESOURCE
            {
                name = TEATEB
                amount = 1.0
            }

PROPELLANT
            {
                name = Kerosene
                ratio = 0.349
                DrawGauge = true
            }

PROPELLANT
            {
                name = LqdOxygen
                ratio = 0.651
                DrawGauge = False
            }

atmosphereCurve
            {
                key = 0 337.5
                key = 1 311.2
            }
        }
    }

@MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
    {
        %gimbalRange = 8.0
        %useGimbalResponseSpeed = true
        %gimbalResponseSpeed = 16
    }

!MODULE[ModuleAlternator],*{}

!RESOURCE,*{}

RESOURCE
    {
        name = TEATEB
        amount = 2.0
        maxAmount = 1.0
        isTweakable = False
    }
}

Edited by Phineas Freak

@Phineas Freak The engine works like it should only the node is not properly placed do i stil need the rd-291 model folder or can i delete it ? And can i ask you if its posible to explain me how the script works so i can  modify other engines that are "stock" in ksp rss like modify the rd-0210 to a rd-0256 (dnepjr) , because  i can't find a model folder of that engine.

thanks a lot for your help phineas.

If you have copied any files from the original engine then they are not needed now and you can delete them. The required files are all included within the Soviet Engine Pack.

The first config is a patch that copies the existing RD-191 engine and then modifies it to act like a RD-291. But the magic happens inside the global engine config, as this is the file that sets the engine parameters. To define what engine the part should use you need the "engineType" value to point to a valid engine config. It seems complicated but in fact it is a really simple and clever way to reuse code.

Okey thanks i already fixed the node issue. And i get it how it works now, i tried to make a rd-0256 from the rd-0210 (by changing the script you gave me into the good values, thrust, propelant , ...)  that comes 'stock' with rss/ro but it doesn't show up in the game. And i also have a question about the isp does the game calculate it itself (by using the mixture ratio ?) or is there a different factor. I am sorry to interrupt you with this basic question but i have just little experience programing stuff (i understand the language but when i get a problem i usualy don't understand why).

i just changed the files you gave me here's the link. I think the problem is in the fact that there is not a specific RD-0210 model file in the game because when i make a other engine that has a model folder in the sovietengines file it does work only not with the stock part.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bw904_cO3bhvRVhrb2ljWmNUaXM?usp=sharing

beacuse its hypergolic i don't actualy need the TEATEB right? so only electric charge is needed for ignition so i could delete the TEATEB part?