Jeb's Flying Fuel Tank

NigPE.png

UPDATE: Video Posted Here:

Stock Parts, and by dropping an engine INSIDE a fuel tank, Jeb's design is efficient and FAST.

A knock on my room woke me up at 4:00 in the morning.

As I opened the door, a familiar smirk greeted me with enthusiasm. It was 'The thrill master,' Jeb Kerman, and his face betrayed his obvious excitement.

'I made some rocket plans.' Jeb said as he pulled my arm towards the hallway.

I immediately shook away the remnants of my drowsiness and quickly responded. 'Jeb, you're an KerbaNaut.'

'Well you were a law student before you started designing these crazy-a** rockets.' Jeb immediately replied, pulling my arm harder.

'Just look at the damned thing before you open your mouth again.' He added.

What I saw that day shocked the last remaining bit of my sanity...

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you:

[glow=red,2,300]'Jeb's Flying Fuel Tank'[/glow]

Ur7nd.png

'Wait... what?' I screamed at him, infuriated by his obvious lack of common sense. 'This isn't finished yet. There are no ENGIN---'

'Stop.' The Thrill Master interrupted me, waving his hand around like a shield.

He explained to me the basic principles. Making use of the tiny explosives from decouplers, he fit a ring of them around the fuel tank's base. When a decoupler engages and explodes, it also triggers the bottom part of the fuel tank to ignite, propelling the fuel tank and everything above it into space.

After the initial explanation, and because I probably went mad at this point, I quickly designed a rocket that could use such strange technology.

'It is called Troll Science' Jeb commented.

Whatever this 'Troll Science' was, it was magnificently effective.

My designed craft, with Jeb's crazy thruster design at launch

iFfFu.png

at 40,000 m, just before the first stage is jettisoned

sk8ay.png

the final stage, a few seconds after firing the thrusters

Xyfte.png

4km/s

NigPE.png

Flight Results:

sHidk.png

You can download the craft here: (you need to be registered to the forums to see it)

I'm pretty sure the design isn't maximized yet. I made the design I posted about an hour after discovering the fuel tank / engine bug. As soon as I hit escape velocity, I posted the results.

It can potentially beat any speed record simply by just replacing any craft's final stage. (most final stages are fuel tanks + engines anyways.)

I honestly have no idea how it works. Maybe the weight of the tank or the engine is negated by abusing the bug. Maybe craft length plays a key role in determining velocity. But hey, it works. :D

Update: The New Design reaches 6.4 km/s

Video posted here:

I'd like to apologize for the crappy video. This is the first time I've ever done a gameplay video by screen capture.

I've incorporated the revolutionary craft designs (exploits) from The Rattle, The Flying Fuel Tanks, and the New Dual-Stacked Fuel Tank Bug.

The final stage looks like a command module, an SAS, and 2 fuel tanks.

Inside, I stuffed 3 fuel tanks and an engine. I did roughly the same thing for the lower stage.

I'm not posting exactly how to create my newly discovered fuel tank bug. If you've been paying attention, you probably would have an idea how it works.

As always, everything is made from stock parts, and juiced up by bugs and exploits.

Thank you everyone, and good day.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.