[1.0.x] Habitat Pack v0.41

Porkjet

Given that Porkjet commented on development issues in this thread fairly recently (late April), and that he's had very little time to work on it since (with the 1.1 release) I am going to assume he can spend more time on it now.

As the new parts are clearly a different design than the old ones I don't think there's harm in using the old pack, until the new one arrives (ie the new parts are really new and shouldn't break existing craft, you simply keep the two packs side by side)

Even though I can't get the inflatable parts in this mod to work in 1.1.3 I still have it installed just because the Orbital Orb and Low Profile Base (landing-legs) parts are just THAT useful.

1 hour ago, StevieC said:

Even though I can't get the inflatable parts in this mod to work in 1.1.3 I still have it installed just because the Orbital Orb and Low Profile Base (landing-legs) parts are just THAT useful.

Take a look at the included Firespitter folder; that one might need updating.

Everything works fine for me (except the centrifuge; that one will crash KSP) in 1.1.3

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

Take a look at the included Firespitter folder; that one might need updating.

Everything works fine for me (except the centrifuge; that one will crash KSP) in 1.1.3

Firespitter is only used for the Firespitter animation module which isn't even being used for anything that ModuleAnimateGeneric can't handle.

Pretty sure I posted a patch earlier that makes it use the stock module and makes use of the layer field so that animations can't interfere with each other. Though layers were mostly useful for the now defunct Centrifuge (RIP)

17 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Firespitter is only used for the Firespitter animation module which isn't even being used for anything that ModuleAnimateGeneric can't handle.

Pretty sure I posted a patch earlier that makes it use the stock module and makes use of the layer field so that animations can't interfere with each other. Though layers were mostly useful for the now defunct Centrifuge (RIP)

Thank you for pointing that out. Eliminating that, would could cause @StevieC's parts to not inflate though?

28 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Thank you for pointing that out. Eliminating that, would could cause @StevieC's parts to not inflate though?

They already aren't inflating, I thought? Switching to the stock animator will work. That's how I do it on my machine for this pack.  

Just now, StevieC said:

well they inflate but even fully inflated their crew-capacity remains zero. Also none of the inflatable parts are working with Connected Living Spaces

You generally need to give it a poke to make the game re-check the crew capacity, like switching craft or something. Another workaround (if you are in a KRASH simulation or something) is to change the CLS setting to allow unrestricted transfers, and then use the vanilla "transfer crew" option in the right click menu to transfer a kerbal into the part. At that point the game says "Ooh, this DOES have capacity after all!" and things begin to work as expected. At least for me.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Starwaster said:

Well I've got the centrifuge working in 1.1.3

There's a few changes going on here and I'm not sure which one did the trick. Either dephysicalizing it or procedural drag cubes..... will post more later.

t9Vl6QB.jpg

Oooh.... you may be my new hero :D

9 hours ago, Tokamak said:

Oooh.... you may be my new hero :D

Might be premature to say that. I am having SOME luck... I've put one of these things into a sub-orbital arc and Valentina is about to try boarding it. 

What's that you say? What about Jeb, Bill and Bob? Well... they fell victim to a bizarre incident... the first test rocket kept exploding shortly after lift off in bizarro physics glitches where the rocket's tank reported it had collided into the fairing even though no parts had broken loose. So I left them on the launch pad and made a simpler craft and... when I went to launch it, I didn't get the usual message that a rocket was already on the pad and Valentina's rocket merged with the first rocket which then exploded. So I reverted AGAIN. After that, Jeb, Bill and Bob are just GONE. Valentina and their cousin Billy-Boblie are just all broken up over it.

Eh, the point of all that is that my game is glitching in weird ways with no errors in the logs and I can only assume it's a side effect of me playing with the physicality of such a large part. It's stable on the pad but weird things happen when it's in motion

I haven't given up on it but it's not very stable either.

9 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Yer boundin' box is broken! Gonna be tuff to fix, looks like one a them fancy import jobs...

I don't think it's broken, it seems to be in great shape, emphasis great.

I'm just surprised you guys get that far. As soon as i launch anything with the centrifuge in it, everything disappears. My ship, the KSC, Kerbin, even the Sun... the whole kittenkaboodle.

Edited by Kerbart

8 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

I don't think it's broken, it seems to be in great shape, emphasis great.

I'm just surprised you guys get that far. As soon as i launch anything with the centrifuge in it, everything disappears. My ship, the KSC, Kerbin, even the Sun... the whole kittenkaboodle.

It's YUGE!

Mostly what did the trick is the PhysicsSignificance = 1 (which basically turns off advanced physics + no rigid body, etc)

I've been experimenting with different drag cube overrides because I suspect things originally broke down when it was trying to render drag cubes and something about one or more colliders is screwed up.

Also, remember when you originally said that you thought it was the looping spinning animation that might be at fault? Well, one of the animation does seem to be at fault but it was the inflation one that broke things. If I remove the animation module that references that animation, that also prevents the problem where your launch pad goes away, vessel goes away. Of course that renders the part unusable so that wasn't an option.

So I'm back to seeing if I can fix it by defining a custom cube set. I don't see that as being able to fix the collider / mesh problem which is what that bounding box represents. 

Ok, I have to accept that the only real way to fix the centrifuge is with its original files at the mesh level. (probably its collision mesh not its visual mesh since there's nothing visually wrong with it)

This workaround is the best I can do:

It works in that you will be able to put the centrifuge into the world without it  crashing your game 99% of the time.  If you try to enclose it with a stock procedural fairing then it will destroy the rocket. If you try to put it in e-Dog's procedural fairing then the fairing will be scaled up until it is bigger than the VAB itself. I haven't tried putting it in a cargo bay but I suspect it would react the same way as it does to the stock fairings

So there it is, this is as good as it's going to get :(

// Insert this text into a config file named CentrifugeFix.cfg in your GameData\HabitatPack folder
@PART[centrifuge1]
{
	%PhysicsSignificance = 1
	@MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric],*
	{
		allowAnimationWhileShielded = False
	}

DRAG_CUBE
	{
		procedural = True
	}

}

Edited by Starwaster

On 7/26/2016 at 3:35 PM, Bloojay said:

so has Porkjet abandoned his mods or is just focused on other stuff?

He's focused on having been hired by Squad

26 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Ok, I have to accept that the only real way to fix the centrifuge is with its original files at the mesh level. (probably its collision mesh not its visual mesh since there's nothing visually wrong with it)

This workaround is the best I can do:

It works in that you will be able to put the centrifuge into the world without it  crashing your game 99% of the time.  If you try to enclose it with a stock procedural fairing then it will destroy the rocket. If you try to put it in e-Dog's procedural fairing then the fairing will be scaled up until it is bigger than the VAB itself. I haven't tried putting it in a cargo bay but I suspect it would react the same way as it does to the stock fairings

So there it is, this is as good as it's going to get :(

// Insert this text into a config file named CentrifugeFix.cfg in your GameData\HabitatPack folder
@PART[centrifuge1]
{
	%PhysicsSignificance = 1
	@MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric],*
	{
		allowAnimationWhileShielded = False
	}

DRAG_CUBE
	{
		procedural = True
	}

}

That is better than nothing. :)

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.