[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

I'm not sure what to make of one of the "anomalous readings" contracts... The given location is on Kerbin, 60 degrees north, 100 west. The BTDT sensor says that it doesn't detect any anomalies around those coords, and the three closest anomalies that SCANSat and KerbNET have given me are obviously not the 'valid' locations (since I've flown over them, collected the reading with the sensor, but didn't get the corresponding checkmark in the contract).

Any ideas?

I do not know if this is a mod problem or a kOS problem, I try it first here:

I try to script the MagnetometerBoom experiment, but some how the "log magnetometer data" event won't work.

set mod_magboom to part_magboom:getmodule("DMModuleScienceAnimate"). 
print mod_magboom:allevents.
LIST of 2 items:
[0] = "(callable) toggle magnetometer, is KSPEvent"
[1] = "(callable) log magnetometer data, is KSPEvent"

so at first i tried to toggle and this worked like a charm

mod_magboom:doevent("toggle magnetometer").

then I tried to log the data but get this error

mod_magboom:doevent("log magnetometer data").
No EVENT called LOG MAGNETOMETER DATA was found on DMModuleScienceAnimate, containing:
LIST of 7 items:
[2] = "(callable) deploy magnetometer, is KSPAction"
[3] = "(callable) retract magnetometer, is KSPAction"
[4] = "(callable) toggle magnetometer, is KSPAction"
[5] = "(callable) log magnetometer data, is KSPAction"
[6] = "(callable) discard magnetometer data, is KSPAction"
[2] = "(callable) deploy magnetometer, is KSPAction"
[3] = "(callable) retract magnetometer, is KSPAction"
[4] = "(callable) toggle magnetometer, is KSPAction"
[5] = "(callable) log magnetometer data, is KSPAction"
[6] = "(callable) discard magnetometer data, is KSPAction"
An attempt was made to retrieve a EVENT called:
    log magnetometer data
from an object of type:
    DMModuleScienceAnimateFields
but it isn't available at the moment.
A full list of all EVENTS on the object can be
found by using its :ALLEVENTs suffix.
                    ^

so is this a problem in the Mod(ule) or more in kOS?

Thanks

@WeirdCulture I'm not sure how kOS works, if one event works with that method then I would expect the other to work.

@4d4Garrison It's compatible with any planet pack, the experiments will work fine. Though, it doesn't contain any custom science results for those planets. There are way too many planet packs and too many experiments to try to support all of them.

On 10/03/2017 at 5:09 AM, fatcargo said:

Hi, just to chime in : please add "system check" to impact hammer so player can test for proper orientation

Was just going to come here to say this too. Having to launch and revert each time the hammer position is adjusted is reeeeeeealy slow!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else use DM Orbital Science and Kerbalism?  It seems that all the multi-sample science parts (big and little brother, solar particle collector, and the two-sample versions of the materials bay and goo canisters) become inoperative after the first use.  Anyone else seeing this problem?

3 minutes ago, eberkain said:

Thanks, got it.  It' sounds like neither mod author is likely to change the mods to preserve that feature.   (That's not a complaint, merely a statement of fact.)  There is a workaround, of sorts:  edit the save file to restore the part so it's usable again.

@AG5BPilot 
It is a limitation in Kerbalism, it has no concept of multiple samples. An experiment is either repeatable, or is locked after first use. This is deduced from the 'rerunnable' field in ModuleScienceExperiment (and derivates, like all the modules of Orbital Science).

The experiments you mention all have it set to false, so they get locked after first use. But if you set it to true, like in this example

@PART[dmReconLarge]:FINAL
{
  @MODULE[DMReconScope]
  {
    %rerunnable = true
  }
}

then Kerbalism will not lock the experiment after first use. At that point, theoretically, the Orbital Science module should lock itself after N uses. So you should get the right behaviour.

Try it and let me know if that worked.

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@AG5BPilot 
It is a limitation in Kerbalism, it has no concept of multiple samples. An experiment is either repeatable, or is locked after first use. This is deduced from the 'rerunnable' field in ModuleScienceExperiment (and derivates, like all the modules of Orbital Science).

The experiments you mention all have it set to false, so they get locked after first use. But if you set it to true, like in this example

@PART[dmReconLarge]:FINAL
{
  @MODULE[DMReconScope]
  {
    %rerunnable = true
  }
}

then Kerbalism will not lock the experiment after first use. At that point, theoretically, the Orbital Science module should lock itself after N uses. So you should get the right behaviour.

Try it and let me know if that worked.

Thanks for the help and suggestion.  Sorry for taking so long to reply.  I didn't have time to adequately test your suggestion last night and I didn't want to give you a half baked response.

I set up a fresh install with only DM Orbital Science, Kerbalism, Module Manager, and Hyperedit installed. Without the above patch, the behavior is as follows:  The Little Brother recon telescope acted as described in my original post (no repeatability).  The Big Brother scope also wasn't able to repeat the experiment, as expected.  (Separate issue:  There appears to be a MM config error because only the Little Brother is creating a sample.  The Big Brother is producing transmittable science.  My main install also exhibits this behavior.)

With your patch installed as a config file in gamedata, the behavior of the Big Brother (4-use) part changed as expected, and allowed the science to be rerun (remaining as transmittable data).  It was, however, not changing the animation to show that film canisters were being reused, and it was able to repeat the science indefinitely.  So the patch is working, but the theoretical part about Orbital Science locking after the intended N uses is not.

Since this patch specifically references the Big Brother part, I also tried the patch modifying DMReconSmall (i.e., "Little Brother").  It continued to produce a "sample", and became infinitely repeatable.  

Behavior on my main installation (which includes GPP and 100+ other mods) was identical to the test installation.

The KSP log (from the test install) can be found here:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/up8zxupy5njxa8d/KSP.log?dl=0

Hello, folks!

Maybe this has been explained before (could not find a reference to it, though), but why the Radio Signals Intelligence Dish, when used as an antenna, is a mere direct one? Considering its size, it's meant to communicate to deep space, but since it's only direct, it can't relay the signal and it useless, isn't it? Or am I missing something here?

12 hours ago, jlcarneiro said:

Hello, folks!

Maybe this has been explained before (could not find a reference to it, though), but why the Radio Signals Intelligence Dish, when used as an antenna, is a mere direct one? Considering its size, it's meant to communicate to deep space, but since it's only direct, it can't relay the signal and it useless, isn't it? Or am I missing something here?

It's not supposed to be a comm relay, only to be in your ship when you go to Eeloo, Communotron 88-88 gives 10 to 74%, Oversized Signals Intelligence Dish gives 84 to 97%. With you're using some OPM, you can reach Plock with it without touching the range and DSN modifiers. Also there's a JX2 Antenna mod that adds a very strong relay antenna.

One thing a see people reporting on JX2 thread, if you put a larga relay antenna on Kerbin orbit, that is stronger then the DSN (so a better signal strength) the link will still be direct to the DSN, even it been weaker. So a stronger relay is only a obtion qhen no other rout is possible.

• 2 weeks later...

The cost for these parts seems messed up. For example, the Universal Storage materials bay (science Jr.) costs 9000 in game, whereas the .cfg says it costs 6500, the thermometer/pressure sensor wedge is 7000 compared to 4000 in the cfg, and the magnetometer boom (standard, not Universal Storage) is 3000 compared to 1000 in the cfg.

What's up with this?

On 29.4.2017 at 9:55 PM, DocRockwell said:

The cost for these parts seems messed up. For example, the Universal Storage materials bay (science Jr.) costs 9000 in game, whereas the .cfg says it costs 6500, the thermometer/pressure sensor wedge is 7000 compared to 4000 in the cfg, and the magnetometer boom (standard, not Universal Storage) is 3000 compared to 1000 in the cfg.

What's up with this?

Totally agree. If you look at masses, than you find an almost arbitrary increase for all parts compared to there non-US form factor. But prices sometimes are over even the some of the single parts - sometimes the price is lower.

The question is, what might drive you to use those US parts besides asthetics at all? Do you have any ideas?

I would like "Surface Experiment Pack" parts without KIS/KAS requirements. I submit your mod purpose them if you detect we don't use KIS/KAS (that's mean to use same parts IDs).

I want this because I like build lander without descent stage which release science package (with probe) before to ascent.

I have a probe with both SIGINT and Soil Moisture Sensor, both of which act as antennas. After violently aerobraking in Laythe's atmosphere, I lost the SIGINT. The problem is that whenever I just want to upload one specific science experiment, sometimes it tries to use SIGINT instead of the soil moisture antenna, it fails, and then my experiment is lost. I lost several Goo experiments like that.

I can right-click on the Soil Moisture Sensor and select Transmit Data, but it's going to try to send everything over the radio, but I want to keep some stuff in a Science Container to return at a later date.

Is there a way to permanently deactivate an antenna? Or is that a bug?

• 2 weeks later...