0.23 PartTools

Mu.

Good day to you all,

Here is the link for the 0.23 PartTools package.

Not much else has changed really but will now let you export .mu files with KSPParticleEmitters for use in your mods.

KSPParticleEmitter was built because Unity particle emitters are notoriously hard to script and serialize. It was impossible to save/load them from files without a wrapper of some kind. Sadly it does lead to some limitations in the space orientation and spawning of the particles. However for simple thrust and rcs jets it should be fine. If Unity ever open the particle emitters up to be able to script for them properly then we will update KSPParticleEmitter to match.

If you require more extreme particle emitters then you will need UnityPro and AssetBundles to export them, alternatively you can spawn our inbuilt ones via code.

Edited by KasperVld
Fixed link

Importing new particles is very very buggy. What I did is just change the ModelName of MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE in the rapier to my model, and it works, but only on a first filght. If I try to revert the launch, everything just disappears from view and debug reports Null Reference Exceptions all the time. If I go back to Space Center, I just see stars =P

well at least some longer duration trails are possible =)

WQUYXLcl.png

Also, I don't see the option in particle editor for "size over lifetime". I see that stock effects are using it, but there is no option for changing size during lifetime in the editor. adding a "size = 0.0 0.0" line in .cfg doesn't work either, is there a way to do it?

I can't seem to install the part tools. I dropped it in the asset folder and tried to import the package, but I got the message "Error while importing package: Package has unknown format" The download was a zip, and I renamed it unitypackage, as else I couldn't even select it to import, and unzipping gave me a bunch of individual files.

Edit: I managed to get the .20 Parttools working, there was no trouble there.

Edited by Whitecold

• 2 weeks later...

part tools 0.20 was a .unitypackage file. However part tools 0.23 is a bunch of folders and files. What am I supports to do with part tools 0.23? How do I import it into unity?

The readme for part tools 0.23 says 0.20 at the top! Is it even thr correct thing in the download? I have to say I am not terribly impressed - a readme with install instructions would not be too much to ask.

Hi Mu, the 0.23 files update for the 0.20 package doesn't seem to be able to handle the way Unity 4.3.x is doing animations (the resulting .mu files either do not load, or load without animations into KSP).

Is it possible to get an updated package which works with the Unity 4.3.x animation system or will it be necessary to roll back to Unity 4.2.2?

I don't think KSP actually supports Unity 4.3.3, I know that it works most of the time, but there are obviously still problems. They've mentioned in the dev notes that they are still testing the latest version. So my guess is that we'll have to wait until at least 0.24 before we get updated part tools.

• 2 weeks later...
Use the 0.20 part tools package to install to Unity, then overwrite the generated ASSET directories/files with the ones from the 0.23 zip file

That doesn't tell me anything. Where do the new files need to go? I have .20 installed. There is no clear place to put these other files from the .23 download.

EDIT: And that is because the files I was looking for were not in the Unity folder. It was in a KSP directory on my C:\ Drive in my documents.. Which is a freakin tiny SSD. FFS when will people making software stop doing this! I installed the damned software on another drive for a reason.

So to clarify.

C:\Users\Yourlogin\My Documents\KSP\Assets\PartTools

That is where the files from the .23 download go.

Edited by Payload

EDIT: And that is because the files I was looking for were not in the Unity folder. It was in a KSP directory on my C:\ Drive in my documents.. Which is a freakin tiny SSD. FFS when will people making software stop doing this! I installed the damned software on another drive for a reason.

So to clarify.

C:\Users\Yourlogin\My Documents\KSP\Assets\PartTools

That is where the files from the .23 download go.

The Unity Asset folder is wherever you told it to be when you created a new project.

To import the 0.23 part tools you create a new project in Unity, note the folder location, navigate to that location, unpack and drag the PartTools folder into the newly created Asset folder in that location, then load or switch to Unity. The part tools should automatically begin loading, then you specify your KSP game directory.

You can create as many projects as you want, each with their own directory and each needs to have the part tools manually imported.

ctbram, your posts are being moderated because of the number of infractions on your record. To get off the list, drop the attitude toward other forum members and watch the language.

To summarize for others, ctbram would like clear and specific directions for the placements of the necessary files and folders.

Some of the locations will vary depending on choices you make during the process, but here's an example install.

1. Install Unity.
  2. Navigate to the packages directory inside Unity, e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity\Editor\Standard Packages
  3. Unpack the contents of PartTools 020.zip here.
  4. Run Unity, select the "Create New Project" tab
  5. Under "Import the following packages:", check the box next to "PartTools.unitypackage"
  6. Under "Project Location", set where you want your project to be, e.g. C:\Users\me\My Documents\MyPartsProject
  7. Create the project, then quit Unity.
  8. Navigate to the Assets folder inside your project, e.g. C:\Users\me\My Documents\MyPartsProject\Assets
  9. Delete the PartTools folder you find there, replace it with the one from PartTools023.zip
  10. Rerun Unity and rejoice!

Edited by Gaius

Where is the proptools? google isn't being helpful on how to make props for IVA, in assets I have "PropEditor" but it's just a script, how do I actually make use of it? Opening it just opens it in monodevelop.

I seem to have a problem with the part tools script on Unity. On the "inspector" there is a box that says "Multi-object editing not supported". Even when only a simple box is used, this message comes up. I only started using Unity today, so it might be an error on my part. However, from what I do know, this is the script that makes it work in KSP. Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Sorry, I just had some files in the wrong place. I tweaked it a bit, and everything (almost) works now.

Edited by CommanderSmith

• 1 month later...
Some of the locations will vary depending on choices you make during the process, but here's an example install.

1. Install Unity.
  2. Navigate to the packages directory inside Unity, e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity\Editor\Standard Packages
  3. Unpack the contents of PartTools 020.zip here.
  4. Run Unity, select the "Create New Project" tab
  5. Under "Import the following packages:", check the box next to "PartTools.unitypackage"
  6. Under "Project Location", set where you want your project to be, e.g. C:\Users\me\My Documents\MyPartsProject
  7. Create the project, then quit Unity.
  8. Navigate to the Assets folder inside your project, e.g. C:\Users\me\My Documents\MyPartsProject\Assets
  9. Delete the PartTools folder you find there, replace it with the one from PartTools023.zip
  10. Rerun Unity and rejoice!

Does it not make a LOT more sense for the parttools 0.23 to contain the essential bits from parttools 0.20 so you don`t have to come to this thread to find the 0.20 link?

Also, is it possible to make a `blank template` project for myself which has all the parttools installed(0.20 and 0.23)? (i.e. copy the project made by your instructions and have a new copy for each part?)

EDIT : In other news I just put my first (terrible) part into KSP. It has nodes in the wrong place and the wrong name when looked at in flight and terrible textures and is a primary cuboid but it holds fuel.

Not bad, 16 minutes from downloading sketchup, blender and unity for the first time to an ingame fuel tank. That was pretty easy compared to how I thought it was going to be.

Now to make it again but with curves, the right name, only 1 node in the right place, better texture and surface attach.

Edited by John FX

I wanted to get started making parts for KSP but I'm unable to find the "write" button for the part tool component. What am I doing wrong?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86497399/ksp_part_tool.jpg

I believe you are in debug mode. Click that little icon to the right of the lock symbol (the down arrow and the three lines) in the upper right corner and select the normal view and the write button should appear.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.