[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

I was just wondering about something. The Utilitron Grabber currently grapples on to stuff by functioning as a magnet, but I am wondering if it wouldn't be possible to have it function more like a docking port (a ''hard'' connection). Basically, I'm trying to go for a Canadarm2 thing where, like an inchworm, it can grapple on to something from one end and then let go from the other and connect somewhere else with that free end, disconnect from the other end (and so on... ) and thus move about. Also, (correct me if I am wrong here) but the magnet functionality does not allow you to then leave the ship, go to another or back to KSC, come back and still have your robotic arm attached, does it? But if it functions like a docking port (hard connection), then it would. You could leave it attached where ever when you're done, go away, and when you come back it'll still be right where you left it.  

Now I'm not entirely sure if this is feasible or not, but I thought ask about it, see what can be done. 

Cheers, and thanks so much for your work and this mod!

Hi guys,

I figured since I got some great advice from kcs123 and V8jester I'd share my solution to the floppy swing wings issue. It took a little time, but a combo of IR extendatrons, rototrons, and quantum struts has all-but solved the problem.

The wing is primarily powered by the rototron on the leading edge wing root. I placed a robotruss adaptor on the wing root near the trailing edge, and then a bearing onto that. A stackable extendatron is attached to this bearing in such a way that minimises its length. This prevents it from acting like a long lever, and so allows less vertical movement. The other end of the extendatron has a quantum strut on it that is pointed directly at another bearing. This second bearing is attached to the body of the aircraft using another robotruss adaptor rather than a bearing hub.

There's still a little bit of vertical movement when the wings are being swept in flight, but no where near as much as before. I'm now able to fly it with the wings 'unlocked', held onto the body only by these Infernal Robotics parts, though I normally lock them in place with a quantum strut gun just in case.

Edited by Elmetian

On 3/21/2017 at 3:04 AM, memeconnoiseur said:

How do you actually put new parts into the infernal robotics mod folder?

I've tried multiple times to add this to my infernal robotics folder but I always screw it up.

Can anyone help?

Just match the subfolder's name in the one you unzip to the subfolder in your GameData directory. I open 2 windows for each, so it's simpler. All you have to do is drag and drop the new addition((s) the sequencer is so very worth it) in the corresponding-named subfolder and presto. Oh, and I'm assuming you're using Windows, naturally.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/04/2017 at 10:23 AM, Cheesecake said:

This mod isn't dead and works well in 1.2.2.

"works well in 1.2.2."

well not for me

when I try to make a robotized arm with rework pack parts, it's just like the first and last parts of my arms were fixed to the ship but the middle parts glide and wobble as I try to move them. I don't have this issue in editor and the original parts (not rework parts) does not work, they dont move. Anyone had this issue? and can anybody help me to fix it? I NEED that wonderful mod

9 minutes ago, Tomato29 said:

"works well in 1.2.2."

well not for me

when I try to make a robotized arm with rework pack parts, it's just like the first and last parts of my arms were fixed to the ship but the middle parts glide and wobble as I try to move them. I don't have this issue in editor and the original parts (not rework parts) does not work, they dont move. Anyone had this issue? and can anybody help me to fix it? I NEED that wonderful mod

Thats because you have activated the Autostrut-Option in the Settings of your Savegame. It`s not a issue of IR Rework. Use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement so you didn`t need the KSP-Autostrut.

Edited by Cheesecake

Just now, Cheesecake said:

Thats why you have activated the Autostrut-Option in the Settings of your Savegame. It`s not a issue of IR Rework. Use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement so you didn`t need the KSP-Autostrut.

I've already checked this option, everything is deactivated by default and I never use autostrut, and I do use KJR to maintain my 5m-large rockets in one piece. I really don't understand what happens, that's why I beg you for help :'(

+ even with autostruts on the base parts of infernal robotics (non-rework pack) should move, even if they're gliding and wobbling everywhere. here they don't move a millimeter :/

31 minutes ago, Tomato29 said:

If anyone has any clue to my problem please raise your hand I'm stuck right now :'(

forget the legacy parts. the rework 90 basic hinge are bugged,The parts lose their positions a few times when you load or if you have weight at the end of the arm and the game saves . Use magnet to the end of your arm. Do not dock your ship with another, you will lose the priority of the parts and they do not work anymore. Apart from these few "minor inconveniences", the mod works. If we can say that ... :(

Just now, Vince_K said:

forget the legacy parts. the rework 90 basic hinge are bugged,The parts lose their positions a few times when you load or if you have weight at the end of the arm and the game saves . Use magnet to the end of your arm. Do not dock your ship with another, you will lose the priority of the parts and they do not work anymore. Apart from these few "minor inconveniences", the mod works. If we can say that ... :(

"Apart from these few "minor inconveniences", the mod works."

noop. in my 1.2.2. version with a lots of mods (dunno if it causes the problem) EVERY infernal robotics parts is bugged, as wwhen I want to move a part using any hinge or extendatron, the robotized part glitches and the two moving parts of the one part separates, glides and wobbles around. (and the part I wanted to move didn't moved an inch.)

6 minutes ago, Tomato29 said:

"Apart from these few "minor inconveniences", the mod works."

noop. in my 1.2.2. version with a lots of mods (dunno if it causes the problem) EVERY infernal robotics parts is bugged, as wwhen I want to move a part using any hinge or extendatron, the robotized part glitches and the two moving parts of the one part separates, glides and wobbles around. (and the part I wanted to move didn't moved an inch.)

go to alt F12...in physic, clic ''show auto strut or someting like that... I forgot to say that you can't move weels or landing gear to...

Edited by Vince_K

Just now, Vince_K said:

go to F12...in physic, clic ''show auto strut or someting like that... I forgot to say that you can't move weels or landing gear to...

I know for the wheels and landing gears :/ I was trying to make a robotized arm to move things around (so IR parts move other IR parts with a IR magnet at the end, no any other non-IR parts on the arm)

and I don't ever used autostruts I feel like it's cheating -> they're not activated on IR parts

I struggled all day to figure out what the issue is I'm tired of this :l

Just now, Tomato29 said:

I know for the wheels and landing gears :/ I was trying to make a robotized arm to move things around (so IR parts move other IR parts with a IR magnet at the end, no any other non-IR parts on the arm)

and I don't ever used autostruts I feel like it's cheating -> they're not activated on IR parts

All I can say at this point is good luck. I have serious problem with this mod to...

1 hour ago, Tomato29 said:

Sounds like you aren't using the Dev version of KJR...

here is everything to get IR and associated "stuff" working in 1.2.2

Edited by V8jester

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all... Can people confirm or deny that Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (KJR) breaks IR? I posted on this before where the joints get displaced/break at/after launch - when the work properly in the VAB? I have the KJR 3.3.1 which is current ( I've seen comments where it supposedly works with the latest KJR). 

Also the Utilitron grasper attaches to surfaces, but I see no option to detach it. 

- P.

1 hour ago, pp3d said:

Hi to all... Can people confirm or deny that Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (KJR) breaks IR? I posted on this before where the joints get displaced/break at/after launch - when the work properly in the VAB? I have the KJR 3.3.1 which is current ( I've seen comments where it supposedly works with the latest KJR). 

Also the Utilitron grasper attaches to surfaces, but I see no option to detach it. 

- P.

With the exception of the utilitron grasper issue I have fixed my problem by updating the dll and/or putting regular struts between the joints.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.