[C7] How to make a VTOL?

I\'d suggest checking out Winter Owl\'s video tutorials - in one of them, he makes a VTOL.

But, if you want a text description:

Put a RCS tank somewhere on your plane, heavy linear RCS ports on the bottom, and retro RCS ports along the body. When you\'re ready to land, turn on your RCS, use your retro RCS to kill your forward momentum, and use the heavy RCS to carefully set your craft down. You\'ll have to be careful where you put your heavy ports, though, as you want the thrust to be balanced based on your craft\'s center of mass.

I\'d suggest checking out Winter Owl\'s video tutorials - in one of them, he makes a VTOL.

But, if you want a text description:

Put a RCS tank somewhere on your plane, heavy linear RCS ports on the bottom, and retro RCS ports along the body. When you\'re ready to land, turn on your RCS, use your retro RCS to kill your forward momentum, and use the heavy RCS to carefully set your craft down. You\'ll have to be careful where you put your heavy ports, though, as you want the thrust to be balanced based on your craft\'s center of mass.

One important addition: I\'ve found no use in spreading numerous heavy linears across the fuselage. For most planes only one or two of them suffice... if placed precisely at the center of mass.

One important addition: I\'ve found no use in spreading numerous heavy linears across the fuselage. For most planes only one or two of them suffice... if placed precisely at the center of mass.

Incorrect, although it might be more efficient, it will be much more difficult to change your angle whilst hovering. Don\'t forget that if you shoot a missle in the front, your center of gravity can change dramatically.

Incorrect, although it might be more efficient, it will be much more difficult to change your angle whilst hovering. Don\'t forget that if you shoot a missle in the front, your center of gravity can change dramatically.

That\'s solved by adding 1 linear (a simple linear, not a \'heavy\' one) at the nose and one at the tail to control pitch angle (of course with ASAS on).

Tim, I\'ve tried all those things on the same heavy plane. 12 heavy linears spread along the fuselage failed to take it off the ground, while two of \'em placed at the center of mass popped the plane into the air instantly. It seems that in former case RCS thrust was uselessly waisted to bend the fuselage.

And don\'t forget that those ports weigh something (and eat fuel like crazy ::)).