Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

9 hours ago, Thingymajigy said:

Done.

yIIfz4E.png

You know, that looks more like a.. thing. I'll leave it at that.

Finished an Avro Lancaster's nose at 1AM in the morning, and my god, was that such a pain in the behind.

British bombers are ugly.

cUngV3U.png

I have such a low attention span that... oh wait, I already forgot the example I was going to make. Anyway, I also forgot about my other projects (bah, I'll finish them later) and started something both new and old. So...

IT'S BAAACK!!!!gZNszWE.jpg

This incarnation uses @Fengist"s Make it Sink mod, although I've been unable to test dive it yet because the craft doesn't seem to like being moved. Or timewarp. Or water. Or me at all, really.

qZ02C45.jpg

Just like all my other submarines (except the Typhoon) this one likes to flip over in the water, and because of the slim frame required there isn't too much I can do about it except add ore tanks and SAS modules. The engines are also a little iffy, flaming out every few second due to lack of intake air.

B7zeLXj.jpg

See, it doesn't like to swim, it doesn't like to dive, it doesn't like to be disturbed at all.

Yeah... Allow me to amend my previous statement: IT'S BAAACK!!!!*

*Terms and Conditions may apply, void where prohibited by law. TrevCo, Inc is not responsible for any incidents caused by unleashing the fury of the U-boat. Warranty void if U-boat is placed in water or on land.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

Finally settled on modifying that colony ship design WIP into a dual-use cargo/crew hauler, eliminating the need for a separate cargo hauler.

Jz4hNuR.png
ny22a4F.png

The 6 LV-Ns in the rear give it better than expected TWR, but I've yet to properly take it out for a test flight beyond LKO.

Das Reboot managed to not explode during testing today.

iiGTCTO.jpg

I got it to sit right in the water as well, making this the closest I've come to a fully functional, aesthetically accurate U-boat. Unfortunately this was only achieved by filling the ballast tanks to capacity, which means I need more ballast for the boat to be able to dive. This causes another problem, as Fengist's dive computer is only rated to work with exactly two ballast tanks.

So keep the dive computer and try to shoehorn as many ore tanks into the hull as I can or ditch the computer and add a few more tanks and compressors...

28 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Das Reboot managed to not explode during testing today.

iiGTCTO.jpg

I got it to sit right in the water as well, making this the closest I've come to a fully functional, aesthetically accurate U-boat. Unfortunately this was only achieved by filling the ballast tanks to capacity, which means I need more ballast for the boat to be able to dive. This causes another problem, as Fengist's dive computer is only rated to work with exactly two ballast tanks.

So keep the dive computer and try to shoehorn as many ore tanks into the hull as I can or ditch the computer and add a few more tanks and compressors...

It would be fairly easy to adjust the mod to give the ballast tanks a bit more capacity, no?

I'd almost forgotten my Littoral Combat Ship I'd made just after Squad changed the water mechanics a few updates back...

52JxOWS.png

Might need to give it some TLC, release it at some point. (Rear deck's a small VTOL pad, internal space has extra crew storage mounted in the superstructure.)

So.. I have been working on my Supernova Class SSTO for a while now, and I FINALLY got it to a point where orbit is capable with a payload 3 Kerbodyne S3-14400 tanks.. and when I decoupled them, the plane spontaneously combusted.. So, i went back and tried just decoupling the decoupler.. and i discovered.. that the fairing appears to be completely in the way :( The image of the decoupler seen below is when it is a separate part of the craft.. It just hangs and wobbles around in mid air. So much for the entire design of this thing. 

CMIjsRN.png

wz3clF8.png

49 minutes ago, Yukon0009 said:

screenshot1546_zpscsqmpw7f.png

WIP Falcon 9 reusable. Still working on getting it to orbit with enough fuel to return. Also I finally created a reliable small hinge, even though it's a lot bigger than Majorjim's ant engine hinge.

Looking good mateo! 

My hinge hasn't used ant engines since the move to unity5 though. 

It uses the thin antennas and my usual thermometer cages as seen in its release thread. 

What did you use? 

Just now, Majorjim said:

Looking good mateo! 

My hinge hasn't used ant engines since the move to unity5 though. 

It uses the thin antennas and my usual thermometer cages as seen in its release thread. 

What did you use? 

The small fixed solar panels and a reaction wheel, with themometer to hold it in place, seems to work fine.

Edited by Yukon0009

13 hours ago, Azimech said:

It would be fairly easy to adjust the mod to give the ballast tanks a bit more capacity, no?

It would, but that's up to him, not me. I don't want to alter the mod for my own use, because if I release the boat after designing it for use with the altered version of the mod then everyone else will have to make the change as well. If I can't make a craft stock, I can at least make it as convenient to use as possible.

3 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

It would, but that's up to him, not me. I don't want to alter the mod for my own use, because if I release the boat after designing it for use with the altered version of the mod then everyone else will have to make the change as well. If I can't make a craft stock, I can at least make it as convenient to use as possible.

Can imagine. But you could create a few new tanks and suggest them to him, who knows.

Last night, while trying to recover a capsule from the ocean, the crane on my vessel was not strong enough to lift the 3-Kerbal stock capsule. Needless to say, I did get the capsule on the deck, but it broke the seal of the magnet and crashed on deck (no Kerbals were killed in the production of this pic).

a55537e.jpg

So, instead of getting mad, I decided it was time to think bigger, to some extent. While I will not have another splashdown for another couple of days, I have tested it with several items I've placed in the water. I know it is ugly as mud, but it is very efficient at picking moderately heavy items out of the water.

lJsKrcl.jpg  AdPqmez.jpg

TLxPWqO.jpg  2SVQN3Z.jpg

u62C1M7.jpg

Oh, hey, @Fengist... no guns!

Edited by adsii1970

I'VE GOT IT! BY GOD, I'VE GOT IT!

w766UNp.png

txmJyhv.png

Balancing and trim still needs some work, but at least it survived this. I'll just label it as an emergency surfacing...

XSrPcws.png

The engines now work as well, the craft averages about 8 m/s, with 9.5 m/s being the higher end of the speeds it achieved today

There's just one more order of business. Does anyone have a laughing sawfish I can use as a NEBULA decal for the conning tower?

EDIT: I also ran the numbers through a Google m/s to knots calculator and it turns out that 9 m/s is roughly 18 knots, which is approximately the top speed of a Type VIIc U-boat, so there's yet another similarity. This is turning out to be the most accurate to life replica I've ever made. Surprising that it took less than three days to get this far!

Edited by pTrevTrevs

My Boeing 777 so far.

http://imgur.com/a/qhYYh

Sadly, the forum wont let me post imgur albums anymore. No idea why. The little black "i" just doesn't show up anymore :P 

More info on my original topic:

Will post updates here instead as it is completed.

Please give me suggestions!

Edited by Gman_builder

25 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

Sadly, the forum wont let me post imgur albums anymore. No idea why. The little black "i" just doesn't show up anymore :P 

• Copy/paste first image into post
  • Copy/paste second image into post
  • Repeat as many times as is necessary
  • encase entire set of images in a spoiler tag, or don't, if it's just one or two images.

There you have it, the lazy man's imgur album. I've done this since I joined the forums.

Just now, pTrevTrevs said:
  • Copy/paste first image into post
  • Copy/paste second image into post
  • Repeat as many times as is necessary
  • encase entire set of images in a spoiler tag, or don't, if it's just one or two images.

There you have it, the lazy man's imgur album. I've done this since I joined the forums.

Thanks! Will try next time.