Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

On 12/11/2016 at 4:27 AM, Gman_builder said:

I present Boaty McBoatface

A missile/launch boat that was based on, but not a replica of, the USS Freedom.

D053Vfz.png

Reveal hidden contents

dnT4mdG.pngHCvdWpF.png2YqaTAF.png

She is 50 meters long, and consists of a measly 559 parts. It has a full helipad(for VTOLS obviously) and a large hangar. It also has wheesley's prositioned strategically around the ship so that it can traverse left, right, rotate clockwise, and counterclockwise. Plus the triple goliath propulsion system that can bring the top speed up to 32 m/s. 

BD hasnt been updated so i have yet to arm her, but in the future there will a couple cannons and AA guns and the like. Her main armament will be whatever sort of aircraft i can fit into that hangar.

I also need to figure out some sort of hangar door. Will be difficult, gimme some suggestions.

If it lags. Then download Ubio-Welding Mod! It welds parts into ONE part!

19 hours ago, Heckspress said:

Have a series of panels linked together by hinges.

Then at the bottom joint, have 2 I-beams on hinges, and have the I-beams (or something low friction) running through 2 columns with a little space in between for the i-beam(or whatever) to run through like a track, with docking ports at the top and bottom. Propelled upwards by junos, downwards by gravity.

That kinda didnt make any sense. Either way i gave up on the door idea.

5 hours ago, How to: KSP said:

If it lags. Then download Ubio-Welding Mod! It welds parts into ONE part!

The welding mod breaks your game if you have anything on it that does stuff. Like engines, landing gear, fuel tanks, lights, science equipment. Etc. Plus i want to be able to break it apart. I love exploding this boat, it impervious to everything except @Columbia's 757 and @Raptor9's Atlas.

RqlhfhO.png

D5PgSgT.png

GET YOURSELF YOUR VERY OWN Boaty McBoatface TODAY!!!!!!!!!

https://kerbalx.com/Gman_builder/Boaty-McBoatface

8 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

Can anyone tell me why the Keel of my boat keeps exploding? I dont understand. Everything is strutted to it and it ends up ruining the ship.

My best guess is still stress from the weight of the panels, some may be still not be secure enough, although I am sure you have lots of struts I use hundreds of struts also. You could also try removing what looks like crew quarters, those look blended into the steel panels, this to could be causing stress.

12 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

Can anyone tell me why the Keel of my boat keeps exploding? I dont understand. Everything is strutted to it and it ends up ruining the ship.

I've noticed that too much autostrutting to far off parts can cause vibration and then disintegration.  I try to utilize the "Grandparent Part" autostrut function rather than the "Root Part" or "Heaviest Part".

Edited by Raptor9
typo

@Raptor9 @Castille7 I replaced the ore tanks with Mk3 fuel tanks and that seemed to do the trick. I guess ore tanks are just really weak.

Also, Have you guys found that anything over around the 500 part mark causes a excrementsE load of lag? I was sailing just the hull(430 parts) and i had around 35 - 45 FPS but as soon as i stuck on the superstructure FPS dropped to around 5. I dont really understand. That happened with the other ship too.

Spoiler

jCGTzjF.pngglVlH3d.pngRelated image

30 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

Also, Have you guys found that anything over around the 500 part mark causes a excrementsE load of lag?

I don't think there is any hard number that causes the lag to go up significantly, but I could be wrong.  Also, what part number at which lag becomes noticeable is going to be subjective to each person based on their computer's hardware.

But then again, I'm the furthest thing from a computer expert that you can get.

43 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

I don't think there is any hard number that causes the lag to go up significantly, but I could be wrong.  Also, what part number at which lag becomes noticeable is going to be subjective to each person based on their computer's hardware.

But then again, I'm the furthest thing from a computer expert that you can get.

I agree that computers to have more issues lagging rather than KSP lagging. I find my computer lags when others seem to be doing fine with many parts.

1 hour ago, Gman_builder said:

@Raptor9 @Castille7 I replaced the ore tanks with Mk3 fuel tanks and that seemed to do the trick. I guess ore tanks are just really weak.

Also, Have you guys found that anything over around the 500 part mark causes a excrementsE load of lag? I was sailing just the hull(430 parts) and i had around 35 - 45 FPS but as soon as i stuck on the superstructure FPS dropped to around 5. I dont really understand. That happened with the other ship too.

Reveal hidden contents

I will keep an eye out for this and let you know if I experience this

Actually working on a full stock kind-of Pegasus-XL launcher called Chrysaor. There is still some work to do but the main targets are achieved.

The launcher got more than a year old now but the carrier trying to be the Stargazer TriStar is totally new (and hideous).

bpI4lT3.png

VytvR8b.png

ldzmLMc.png

TooldL4.png

DxZrnMC.png

ZUINgDK.png

The payload was a useless ComSat of 1.3 tons only put into orbit to confirm the design.

Strangely Chrysaor is so stable that it's the sole craft with the Hecate shuttle that I flew manually... really, once its dropped you just have to flare a bit and stabilize enough then ignitiate the first stage SRB, wait a bit to get speed then start the climb easily. Surprising.

11 hours ago, Castille7 said:

I agree that computers to have more issues lagging rather than KSP lagging. I find my computer lags when others seem to be doing fine with many parts.

I will keep an eye out for this and let you know if I experience this

Yeah, yeah i know how computers work. I'm saying before 1.2.2 i would get decent FPS up to 900 parts before the lag became unbearable and now that number is down to around 500. Just thought it was weird and annoying.

Just now, Gman_builder said:

Yeah, yeah i know how computers work. I'm saying before 1.2.2 i would get decent FPS up to 900 parts before the lag became unbearable and now that number is down to around 500. Just thought it was weird and annoying.

That should not be happening.. If you can face it try reinstalling KSP, back up all saves and craft before!

HZcjFA7.jpg

Designing launch vehicles for my upcoming 6.4x scale New Horizons playthrough. New Horizons still isn't out for 1.2.x yet, but Sigma Dimensions is, so I've upscaled Kerbin already to work on getting things to orbit.

I found a comment from a while ago that suggested that the required delta-v to reach Kerbin orbit in 6.4x scale is about 7500m/s, so I designed the above rocket to provide that for a 1.5 tonne payload.

Full flight profile is below.

Spoiler

oXeU45x.jpg

Liftoff successful. Despite being influenced by the Russian R-7 rocket, the core engine on this rocket is not ignited until the boosters are separated.

7ptx88A.jpg

lulih6g.jpg

9i4IDjg.jpg

O1fjXje.jpg

There is no throttle limiting on this vehicle, and acceleration is quite high before booster separation.

hui0xVt.jpg

8E7m4tx.jpg

Booster cutoff and separation, and main engine ignition. The boosters separate in a perfect Korolev cross.

KphcEPM.jpg

dXvtSrK.jpg

FPRrkXV.jpg

l9BxG12.jpg

QC9ivW1.jpg

92uBZC2.jpg

Ascent continues nominally. This stage burns for quite a while, and cuts off almost exactly as the intended 152km apoapsis is reached.

7G6m1fV.jpg

Stage separation and fairing separation.

BFrIQAh.jpg

Upper stage ignition.

F8YafDd.jpg

Upper stage cutoff as intended apoapsis is reached.

pax3AK4.jpg

BgKT3bv.jpg

VmkNBar.jpg

Circularization is successful. The upper stage still has a lot of delta-v left, so the launch vehicle is potentially capable of transporting a greater payload mass to orbit.

Once in orbit, the upper stage still had about 1200m/s remaining. This is good, because it means that orbit can be achieved with less delta-v than anticipated, which will make launch vehicles cheaper for career mode applications.

5 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

That should not be happening.. If you can face it try reinstalling KSP, back up all saves and craft before!

Ive done that. Twice. I even installed onto a flashdrive to see if it would help but nope. 

Have you ever made a autocannon?

*maniacal laughter*

20 hours ago, XB-70A said:

Actually working on a full stock kind-of Pegasus-XL launcher called Chrysaor. There is still some work to do but the main targets are achieved.

The launcher got more than a year old now but the carrier trying to be the Stargazer TriStar is totally new (and hideous).

bpI4lT3.png

VytvR8b.png

ldzmLMc.png

TooldL4.png

DxZrnMC.png

ZUINgDK.png

The payload was a useless ComSat of 1.3 tons only put into orbit to confirm the design.

Strangely Chrysaor is so stable that it's the sole craft with the Hecate shuttle that I flew manually... really, once its dropped you just have to flare a bit and stabilize enough then ignitiate the first stage SRB, wait a bit to get speed then start the climb easily. Surprising.

Fantastic craft! Looks great!

2 hours ago, Kerbal Astronautics said:

Fantastic craft! Looks great!

Thanks KA. I was so tempted to rebuild a TriStar as the Goliath now is available but I haven't forget what I promised. These screenshot were taken during yesterday morning on the second offcial flight test (unoffcially it was during the 3rd and 5th, when I got the battery problem...) but right now I am and will be trapped at my shop on 09:00 to 22:00 everyday until Sunday (end of the year).

But a promise is a promise and I should be able to share it on KerbalX on Monday.

Some other screenshots taken during these flights for waiting :)

GI5JqaE.png

VciHmPX.png

cLTrJ2S.png

2 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

Thanks KA. I was so tempted to rebuild a TriStar as the Goliath now is available but I haven't forget what I promised. These screenshot were taken during yesterday morning on the second offcial flight test (unoffcially it was during the 3rd and 5th, when I got the battery problem...) but right now I am and will be trapped at my shop on 09:00 to 22:00 everyday until Sunday (end of the year).

But a promise is a promise and I should be able to share it on KerbalX on Monday.

Some other screenshots taken during these flights for waiting :)

GI5JqaE.png

VciHmPX.png

cLTrJ2S.png

Awesome! Looking forward to flying it.

Diesel Rig 7-18
Update 12-17-2016

I was having trouble with the first design of the Fifth Wheel Connection, it was breaking too easily and the Trailers were often jumping off giving me a runaway Trailer which was actually fun at times. The new design is using Solar Panels and is now stronger and holding the Trailers better. I now have a Gooseneck Trailer, a Dry Van Trailer and a Fuel Tank Trailer, not sure if I will add another Trailer if I do it will be a Boat Trailer with a Boat to launch.

New Fifth Wheel Design

1RpmMSh.png

Spoiler

Dry Van Trailer

I1jnCvz.png

All Three Trailers

Czlq8L7.png

Edited by Castille7

I'm still working on those Saturn replicas, but since I really don't want to have to start working on the LEM right away, I've started experimenting with a breech-loading artillery piece.

XlN571K.png

The gun is fixed in place, since it's just a test rig to determine how easy (or hard) it may be to get something like this working properly.

GQwb8rR.jpg

The charge is just a small SRB, but most of the fuel has been removed, so it only fires for a second or two, thus lowering the chance of incinerating the shot or tearing the piece apart.

VbOfmlu.jpg

I may have to upgrade to a bigger size, since the bullet doesn't gain very much velocity and thus fails to attain significant range. Also, it tends to break up during flight, so I need to find a way to either improve the current round's structural integrity or a single part that will be able to take the place of my current setup.

pa4Qiwb.jpg

After firing, the shell casing is ejected and knocked out of the way.

j13kZOl.jpg

The legs then retract, clearing the way for the next round to be loaded (I have yet to figure out how I could load a second round)

EDIT: I've got a smaller bullet, but it still doesn't get very much range, and it isn't very stable in flight.

lreZ1vi.png

This shot went pretty far, but it's only because the bullet hit the ground and bounced a few times (which still caused it to break up).

Edited by pTrevTrevs

On 15-12-2016 at 2:29 AM, Gman_builder said:

Reveal hidden contents

I used to run with the standard setting of the physics delta-t timer, 0.04. Since I run at 0.08 I get green numbers most of the time, at the expense of some FPS. I have an old GFX card (2008) so it really helps my system.

Decided to give my own real world car, a Citroën BX GT 1985, a chance to compete in the Dakar 2017. This is a stripped down version without the panels. Performance is reasonable with two Juno's, its top speed is 75.6m/s. Engines in the front, Boost Flaps in the rear. It's easy to drive and can handle some jumps without breaking the wheels, due to the high damper setting a terrain seam sometimes gives it a strong jolt. But hey, I wanted it to handle like the real one.

Those vernors can handle quite some stress so a good material for building car frames, if a little heavy. Best of all: no struts were harmed during the building of this car, it doesn't have any.

Mzzc8CF.png

W9Hgutc.png

FGQrEUP.png

aN56KYH.png

Breech loading 460 / 480 mm canon, with the breech loading system almost complete. For the canon shell casings, I'm going to try and make them disintegrating. 

CPQhGJY.png

As for the elevation mechanism, I'm probably going to have to use jet assisted SAS gears. @Azimech, I might have to ask for your input on this. :wink:

Otherwise, it seems that this specific version of KSP crashes every time I try to load the canon. I'll play around with it a bit and see what's up, though a smaller design I've built before never had these issues.

The actual specs of the Yamato's primary guns are impressive. :0.0:

jeBjJ2A.png

Edited by andrew123