Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I found that my lag problem ceases at around 5000 meters in the air which makes no sense. I removed the destruction effects mod, ground scatter has been turned off, graphics are at minimums. So strange. i dont think part count is the issue, i must be something within render distance at the KSC. No idea what though. Maybe the buildings themselves? In any case, when i go above a certain altitude FPS spikes back up to a normal 40 - 60 with medium part count craft. I need to contact tech support for this.

EDIT: NVM. Narrowed it down to 200 parts where FPS drops to 5 - 10 from 40 - 60. I wish stuff would just work. I literally just updated the game and this problem arose.

Edited by Gman_builder

On 12/14/2016 at 7:29 PM, Gman_builder said:

@Raptor9 @Castille7 I replaced the ore tanks with Mk3 fuel tanks and that seemed to do the trick. I guess ore tanks are just really weak.

This difference may come from the discussion in the Stock Weapons challenge.  

I don't know if a static stress or a dynamic impact is modeled when a craft loads on the runway, but let's consider both cases.

All ore tanks have a tolerance of 7 m/s and all Mk3 parts have 50 m/s.  Statically, Mk3 is clearly much stronger.

Dynamically, a full large ore tank might survive an impact up to (17 t x 7 m/s =) 119 tons-meters per second, and an empty one is much weaker (14 tm/s).  Even the smallest Mk3 fuel tank (full) might survive 714.5 tm/s (14.5 x 50).

I've never built proper naval vessels, but I did notice the difference while testing target ships massing 150-300 tons. When loaded onto the runway with their weight borne by empty orange tanks, they tended to rapidly disassemble.  Putting some fuel in those tanks made them less explosive at load time.

5 hours ago, Castille7 said:

It seems to be pure stock........for speed

KerbalX link

I've read the way to build this aircraft is with Infernal Robotics, but there's nothing infernal about this one.  It's pure stock.  

After building the Moller Skycar I had a notion how to make the wings work.  Take the axles off the Skycar and stick them on the sides of a cockpit, stick wings on the axles, add tails and there's a Tomcat.  The landing-leg pistons would push the wings forward, and drag would pull them back, so they'd react to airspeed just like the real Tomcat.  Simple!  

Except it wasn't that simple (I bet you saw that coming).  The wings would swivel fore-and-aft, but also flap and twist with lift and inertia.  And since each wing is a separate craft they would move out of sync.  And the pistons were very prone to breaking.  And the whole craft tended to wobble about all the time.

Tomcats have "wing gloves" that fit around the base of the rotating sections, so I built those, along with the "wing deck" on top of the nacelles to restrict wing motion to one plane.  You can see both features on this Tomcat:
PFkmHMc.jpg
I thought I was done at this point, but wanted a go at synchronizing the wings as well.  So I added some solar-panel gear teeth to each wing hinge that engage in the center section, and another to restrict the arc of the swivel, and the wings move in unison now.  

@moronwrocket reminded me that "it is not finished until there is nothing left to take away" so I tried removing the butterfly pistons, and the improvement was striking.  The plane stopped shimmying in the air and wing motion is solid and smooth.   This Turkey(1) ended up working as I expected and is also fun to fly.

Yes, I did listen to DANGER ZONE on a loop for the three solid days it took to build and test this.  Isn't that a requirement?

(1) Turkey is a deck crew nickname for how the Tomcat looks on landing approach with its wings and flaps and spoilers all fanned out.  And a play on the "Tom" in its name.

Edited by Torquimedes

I promised a video, and some other things regarding my 5 kT lifter, and some of my other lifters, and I had to cancel. I decided to try and load the new 5 kT lifter, and it would require a much better rig than I currently have, probably a new Kaby Lake processor overclocked to nearly 5 ghz or something similar.

So here are a few pictures of the 5 kT lifter, I plan on completely redesigning it soon to make it both efficient, and lower the part count, since I didn't prioritize anything but size in this build. I wanted to keep it less wide than the VAB, and that was the only requirement past putting 5 kT of fuel in orbit. (Fuel weight alone, not including mass, total weight about 7 kT (of cargo))

http://imgur.com/a/ADymO

HTLLiOn.png

Xh11zp4.jpg

VvlpZ65.jpg

Edited by He_162

Just now, He_162 said:

I promised a video, and some other things regarding my 5 kT lifter, and some of my other lifters, and I had to cancel. I decided to try and load the new 5 kT lifter, and it would require a much better rig than I currently have, probably a new Kaby Lake processor overclocked to nearly 5 ghz or something similar.

So here are a few pictures of the 5 kT lifter, I plan on completely redesigning it soon to make it both efficient, and lower the part count, since I didn't prioritize anything but size in this build. I wanted to keep it less wide than the VAB, and that was the only requirement past putting 5 kT of fuel in orbit. (Fuel weight alone, not including mass, total weight about 7 kT (of cargo))

No pics there matey.

Just now, Majorjim! said:

No pics there matey.

Sorry, I had to wait for them to finish processing on imgur. I thought they were done when I was done writing. They are here now.

425 engines in the first stage I think I counted, I lost count after a while when building, and just kept adding until the fuel ratio / t/w ratio was good enough to put something in orbit.

Edited by He_162

My. God. :o

Over 3000 parts, and building it gained me a lot of knowledge of how HUGE craft like that work. It's quite interesting, to say the least.

I am building a new 2 kT lifter (about 2.2kT to orbit max.) that actually has a fairing, and is designed for any 2 kT cargo you can fit.

I will have a video of this 2 kT lifter up hopefully similar to my previous "lets build" if you will.

Previous video here: (not great quality, did it on a 3rd Generation Pentium G. (3 ghz, 2 cores.)

Lol the empty ejector seat was so sad.. Did the kerbal go 'poof'?

Sadly. I added a metal plate in front to protect him, although, I don't think it helps when you surpass the mach speed the aircraft starts to destroy itself, and if that starts to happen, the Kerbal usually goes with. The top safe speed for the Kerbals safety anyway, is about mach 2.2.

Century series' first iteration is done, with the F-105 Thunderchief and the F-106 Delta Dart. The flight quality is OK, but not nearly as good as that of the Voodoo or the Starfighter.

0c3eAeF.png

The full lineup on the runway

I am wondering a few things. I need to know some of the following information for some of my future 700 series rockets. (Huge kT lifters)

The first off is a 2 kT lifter, the He970.

The second, is a 3 kT lifter, the He971.

I will then move towards a lifter capable of taking 1 kT to Duna, and one capable of taking 0.5 kT to the surface of the mun, or minmus.

I would like to know the following:

What is the average part count the average KSP player can take before lag sets in badly? I.E. maximum part count for 10-30 FPS?

How many players are going to want to use lifters like these in Career, and who will use them for fun / other reasons in sandbox?

As for a work in progress picture, here you go: (This is a 1kT lifter design based on the He969, with reduced part count (900 parts)) - Original has over 1,100 parts -

E9Mqo2I.png

10 hours ago, He_162 said:

I would like to know the following:

What is the average part count the average KSP player can take before lag sets in badly? I.E. maximum part count for 10-30 FPS?

How many players are going to want to use lifters like these in Career, and who will use them for fun / other reasons in sandbox?

I have a mid-range laptop (16 gigs RAM, otherwise factory-stock) and I can get 750 easily without lagging, even while running graphics mods (scatterer, EVE, etc). As for lifters, I never really had a use for insane lifters, but if I did, I can't imagine using them in career mode.

My greatest in-progress failed creation.

Spoiler

hbmNgaJ.gif

Made up of 4 highly inefficient subassemblies consisting of independent, over-engineered tilting engines that change mode from a single button...sequence.  With a whopping range of 1km.

Finished with V1 of the stock Yuudachi, aka the Nightmare of Solomon, replica. over 100 meters long, over 1600 tons, over 200,000 units of fuel, 8 long lance torpedoes, 2x2 5 inchers, 1x1 5 incher, and a top speed of about 28 m/s. The smokestack effect is pretty neat, and doesn't really use much fuel at all. I'm also happy with how the rigging looks, and will have to attach flags to make it look more authentic.

Long lance torpedo launcher needs a bit of an aesthetic overhaul, and AA guns still need to be added.

POI

Guns are capable of -15 and +75 degrees depression and elevation. Torpedo launchers are rather stable when rotating.

lvFt1B7.png

OqLwQIa.png

Long lance launcher system. Obviously needs some work to be aesthetically accurate.

d6sY1j9.png

ubTXkpB.png

POI

Edited by andrew123

I decided to make a longer version of the Swiftbird with 12 passengers. So far it has managed to keep the same range, but the tail strike problem is now far worse than it was in the early versions of the Swiftbird. Additionally its speed only reaches around 270 m/s, so i'll have to add more engines, but this will use even more fuel. vwDgtko.png

BRzdVPU.png

1 hour ago, andrew123 said:

Finished with V1 of the stock Yuudachi, aka the Nightmare of Solomon, replica. over 100 meters long, over 1600 tons, over 200,000 units of fuel, 8 long lance torpedoes, 2x2 5 inchers, 1x1 5 incher, and a top speed of about 28 m/s. The smokestack effect is pretty neat, and doesn't really use much fuel at all. I'm also happy with how the rigging looks, and will have to attach flags to make it look more authentic.

Long lance torpedo launcher needs a bit of an aesthetic overhaul, and AA guns still need to be added.

Hopefully it won't accidentally identify an enemy destroyer as a friend ship... How well does the ship turn?