Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

CAMELBACK BRIDGE

My apologies for going WIP Ballistic lately, there's just so many things I've been wanting to get done in KSP and a Camelback Bridge is one of them. These type bridges are so fascinating, the engineering involved is so amazing it often baffles me. I have always admired the structural strength and designs of bridges and these seem to impress me most with their beauty. For those interested I found a book titled "How To Read Bridges" A crash course in engineering and architecture at the local book store, if you like bridges you will like this book.

PBA-10120-BRIDGE-TRUSS-CAMELB-UP-E20.jpg

VbDsQjL.png

vwjJCyY.png

Edited by Castille7

9U8WMpy.png

8GSF6jg.png

I still need to test fuel logic, and I may add some stock bombs to the bomb bay. Also, the tailplane needs to be a little bigger. I also may make the wings longer. That said, it flies great, though landing is a bit hairy (as always with behemoths like this).

Don't know if they really count as WIPs or rather as future projects, but I put together the "spatial dimension frames" for a 707 

2017-01-06%2019-09-39.png

2017-01-06%2021-01-07.png

And 757

2017-01-06%2019-09-04.png

They may not look like much, but I build my planes on top of these to get the right shape, and remove them just before flight testing. Anyways, I finished that Blackbird from earlier.

There's also.. uh... this...this... thing

2017-01-05%2016-25-18.png

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

1 hour ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Don't know if they really count as WIPs or rather as future projects, but I put together the "spatial dimension frames" for a 707 

And 757

They may not look like much, but I build my planes on top of these to get the right shape, and remove them just before flight testing. Anyways, I finished that Blackbird from earlier.

There's also.. uh... this...this... thing

That's a really cool idea to map out the dimensions! I usually just eyeball it using an orthogonal "blueprint" image, but that seems much more exact.

Also, what the heck is that last thing? How would that ever not explode the runway, much less leave the ground?

@EpicSpaceTroll139 Did you get that from me? :D

I'd never seen anybody else lay out dimensions like i do before i posted WIP pics of my 777. 

ALSO noticed a strange atmospheric bug. While doing speed tests of a new plane i had the Aero GUI open and was watching the SOS(speed of sound) number decrease while i climbed. It got to a minimum of around 296 m/s at around 11k meters, stabilized through 15k, then started rising again to 305 up through 20k and 25k meters. I thought this was really weird as the speed of sound should be decreasing exponentially as air pressure decreases. IE altitude increases. This could help to increase the max speed of aircraft because i noticed the air density and static pressure decreased linearly. So less drag and increased max Mach number. Airbreathing engines are limited by Mach number not m/s so they are producing unrealistic power at high altitudes. That combined with the lowered drag makes for strange performance.

I wanna know if this is a bug or a feature before i report it. Ive never seen anyone else notice this before so im pretty confuzzled.

Over in the high speed challenge thread, they're exploiting that to set new speed records.  Max RAPIER thrust is bound to Mach number, so the closer you can do your speed run to 0m, the more thrust you get.  Design is converging on flying heatshields at 2000+ m/s

45 minutes ago, fourfa said:

Over in the high speed challenge thread, they're exploiting that to set new speed records.  Max RAPIER thrust is bound to Mach number, so the closer you can do your speed run to 0m, the more thrust you get.  Design is converging on flying heatshields at 2000+ m/s

Are you talking about my high speed thread? Or a different one i dont know about? im not talking about mach number ASL. We all know about that. Im talking about how messed up it is at high altitude.

Edited by Gman_builder

On 5-1-2017 at 10:24 PM, Castille7 said:

CAMELBACK BRIDGE

My apologies for going WIP Ballistic lately, there's just so many things I've been wanting to get done in KSP and a Camelback Bridge is one of them. These type bridges are so fascinating, the engineering involved is so amazing it often baffles me. I have always admired the structural strength and designs of bridges and these seem to impress me most with their beauty.

PBA-10120-BRIDGE-TRUSS-CAMELB-UP-E20.jpg

VbDsQjL.png

vwjJCyY.png

Try Kickback boosters, you'll be able to build it a lot larger. See mine on KerbalX.

This morning I was writing a mod for the future drag race challenge.

4Fpf1Bl.png

56 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Try Kickback boosters, you'll be able to build it a lot larger. See mine on KerbalX.

This morning I was writing a mod for the future drag race challenge.

4Fpf1Bl.png

Hey man!

I've been Hijacked! by Azimech :P but its ok ...haha Thanks for the tip but working with the extra weight gives more challenge, like how to get it to a location?

HD8aZrv.png

1 minute ago, Castille7 said:

Hey man!

I've been Hijacked! by Azimech :P but its ok ...haha Thanks for the tip but working with the extra weight gives more challenge, like how to get it to a location?

HD8aZrv.png

Yeah ... my bridge isn't going anywhere without mods.

Well, I've been trying to improve the Titanic bit by bit, but it gets tiring to work with something that's not getting much recognition..

So I decided to work on my airliners for a bit.

I reduced parts on my B747-100/200 via autostrutting;

kYW8g7r.png

I started work on the engines of the Airbus A320;

WGtYTFY.png

And i fixed up the tail and engines of the Boeing 737-800.

baRfPqv.png

I worked on the Baggage Carrier as a crap ton of people have requested; I have no pictures, unfortunately.

And that's it for this weekend.

I'm about done finishing my B52 restoration project. 

Since this is based on a design I built early last year I didn't have any custom cockpit installed unfortunately :(

But on the other hand it still has oh so sweet landing gear bays. Handles remarkably in the air for such a large beast.

If you were wondering this was the B52 used in Hatbat's most recent cinematic episode. Still working on minor cosmetics of course.

E4B903C6B641C0C4E99301336FFBA9791204516F

A5851B41E44F5DE45113B4CC3A40B7AE8EF926D5

BA92D4F24E22BDC107F9B365F1B96BAD7739AC13

Edited by Jon144

50 minutes ago, Jon144 said:

I'm about done finishing my B52 restoration project. 

Since this is based on a design I built early last year I didn't have any custom cockpit installed unfortunately :(

But on the other hand it still has oh so sweet landing gear bays. Handles remarkably in the air for such a large beast.

If you were wondering this was the B52 used in Hatbat's most recent cinematic episode. Still working on minor cosmetics of course.

Looks great! I was going to ask you how it was able to fly "remarkably" but then I realized that you didn't have the custom cockpit...

I've been messing around with surface base architecture.

VfdmiK8.png

12 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Can one of you dudes make me a more reliable horizontal turret drive for this puppy:

55zJRSz.png

The one i've got on there now is way to weak. However the vertical one is rock solid, albeit a little sticky.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dar5g2kay3ywum5/Heavy Repeater.craft?dl=0

@Gman_builder I was trying a couple ideas and this one is ok but still not too solid, the engine thrust is pushing it off center, I was adding a little throttle then releasing a round and killing the thrust. I can upload it if you would like to give it a try? Also this Repeater is amazing man!

SYovwTG.png

Edited by Castille7

@Castille7 Thanks! That looks really solid. I'll download and try to miniaturize it so i can put in a vehicle like i originally intended. Yeha the engine thrust torques the whole thing a little but i use the MAF mod so i can counter that easily. Also makes aiming easier. Before i had a BD FLIR ball just to the left of the cannons which made aiming a breeze because you kinda have to watch the rounds and time it right so that they dont start clipping into the other parts when they fall into the breach.

Just do a dropbox link. Way easier.

Edited by Gman_builder

15 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

@Castille7 Thanks! That looks really solid. I'll download and try to miniaturize it so i can put in a vehicle like i originally intended. Yeha the engine thrust torques the whole thing a little but i use the MAF mod so i can counter that easily. Also makes aiming easier. Before i had a BD FLIR ball just to the left of the cannons which made aiming a breeze because you kinda have to watch the rounds and time it right so that they dont start clipping into the other parts when they fall into the breach.

Just do a dropbox link. Way easier.

Ok link coming asap, and yes it is a little bulky, if anything it's something for ideas.

@Gman_builder Here you go!

Heavy Repeater 2

Edited by Castille7