Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

3 minutes ago, Castille7 said:

---, this Offshore Platform is something I've been planning for a long while but I've been side tracked from it with other projects. 

I can see why, making a proper rig is going to be a lot of work.

By your command.

dWeG2fB.gif

Something I've wanted to do for 3 years: creating the reciprocating scanner/eye of the classic Cylon in stock KSP. The new toasters look meaner, the old ones have much more style. Early version, the mechanism is still shoddy and the eye doesn't reach far enough. The head isn't finished and it needs lots of cleaning up. To be continued.

I figured I could improve my LM's legs mechanism by swapping out the RCS ball joints for axial antenna hinges. All seemed well until I reloaded it this morning to continue work. I needed to move the legs out away from the lander to do some work on them and the descent stage internals, so I did so like I had numerous times before.

2017-03-08%2009-32-11.png

It was then that I found that the game had decided to reconnect many of my carefully placed struts. Most importantly, it reconnected several which led to the thermometer parts of the bearing, instead attaching them to the moving antenna part of the bearing, so they disconnect as soon as the legs are released. It should be noted that connecting the struts was not a simple task due to the fact that both they the parts they connect to must be moved only in a certain order and manner and the undo button must be completely avoided otherwise they all disconnect. They were the hardest part of this lander to replicate.

This sums up my reaction pretty well:

vader.jpg

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

And now the million √ question. Is my docking-fu enough to make it close?

szpIquX.png

Rune. Who am I kidding, I have Docking Alignment Indicator and a SnapDock tolerance of 0.995, should be a breeze... if I built it right.

4 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

(chop chop) 

vader.jpg

I love Sweet & Salty, I think KSP is much like that as for now, I've lost many hours of work and I keep coming back........I love KSP!! Of course we do want less Salty!

Edited by Castille7

4 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

It was then that I found that the game had decided to reconnect many of my carefully placed struts

Ouch.. I feel you pain. 

Just redo them matey. One needs a stout work ethic when making these sorts of things. Deep breath and carry on. :-)

21 minutes ago, Triop said:

Continuing the ore rig project, made a test platform.

Think I'll need to bring the drill by boat, sounds fun. <_<

1TRF4zy.png

Cu4UUB4.png

tbc....

Looks great so far! 

26 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

I'm going to work on making a new buggy. Me, @TheEpicSquared, @Triop, and @DoctorDavinci are redoing a mini-Dakar.

We are? 

EDIT: Back on topic: I'm working on a Duna lander. It's pretty much done, has more than enough d-v to land on Duna from orbit, ascend, and get back to orbit, but I still have to test docking capability with the Duna Orbital Vehicle.

Duna lander:Ms5eETx.png

Duna Orbital Vehicle:Fi3ffKA.png

Edited by TheEpicSquared

Aha! Gotcha, you sonova...

tl6RupP.png

...or, you know, I came really close.

sp7o16J.png

It's not my fault, I swear! That ~5º misaligned corridor is totally docked straight, according to the game.

p8xEX5r.png

Rune. There are also two docking ports that are connected but without undock option, but you know, the ring itself is closed without misalignments, so I'm gonna call it "good enough to prove the concept".

Edited by Rune

16 minutes ago, Rune said:

Aha! Gotcha, you sonova...

Congratz on your succes, I know how you feel, just had my moment...VICTORY IS OURS ! :cool:

kscJlkm.png

jYwNjWx.png

GFojFkP.png

Cable is only 50 meters long, can't have that, changed the cfg file. Cable is now 1600 meters. :sticktongue:

Edit: Very interesting side effect, lowered the cable hitting the bottom at 591.87 meters.

Usefull info for lowering the drill. " I can science me. "

5A2KLSO.png

Edited by Triop

4 minutes ago, Triop said:

Congratz on your succes, I know how you feel, just had my moment...VICTORY IS OURS ! :cool:

kscJlkm.png

jYwNjWx.png

GFojFkP.png

Cable is only 50 meters long, can't have that, changed the cfg file. Cable is now 1600 meters. :sticktongue:

If you make it ~2500 you can drill on Laythe :-)

Just now, Azimech said:

If you make it ~2500 you can drill on Laythe :-)

I was thinking about that too, but I stay away from the black stuff, but if anyone will do it, it will be awesome.

Next up: drill tests.

I have to connect a new drill because I forgot to ad "compressed water" so the drill won't sink. <_<

S9snl9b.png

16 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

Very impressive as always @Rune. Even if it didn't work out quite as planned, the concept is excellent and the design looks good.

Nah, it's more of a game issue (the game takes a while between noticing you are in a dockable position and noting down the positions of all parts to merge the vessels), and I'm sure I could solve it with a couple of undock/redocks. Now that the ring is whole, and all ports aligned, the only issue is that I didn't bring a Klaw to move that straight corridor easily. And of course, I found out SnapDock is very much not a silver bullet, you have to still take it as an ultra-precise dock. But you know, you will be able to try yourselves real soon, this thing is getting posted for sure as an update to my venerable Von Braun Station. And I really like the launcher I built for it. The margin is razor-thin (~100m/s left at 75kms circular), but I've worked out an autopilot procedure that lets you hit it every time, without touching WASD and with a single SAS mode change. And only ~11k√ to boost the ~100k√ station if you recover the core near KSC. :cool:

14 minutes ago, Triop said:

VICTORY!!!

...is it too late to mention you could have started with the drills connected to the winch in the SPH?

Rune. Perseverance is the mother of success.

Edited by Rune

9 minutes ago, Rune said:

...is it too late to mention you could have started with the drills connected to the winch in the SPH?

Rune. Perseverance is the mother of success.

How? When I connect stuff to it in the VAB it's stuck to the winch, not the cable, tried it , didn't work.

But please if you know how to do it, please share it.

Allthough it would take out the fun off using a thugboat to deliver the drill or other stuff (submarines, probes underwater bases)

Edited by Triop

7 minutes ago, Triop said:

How? When I connect stuff to it in the VAB it's stuck to the winch, not the cable, tried it , didn't work.

But please if you know how to do it, please share it.

Allthough it would take out the fun off using a thugboat to deliver the drill or other stuff (submarines, probes underwater bases)

It's been a while since I've tried, so things might have changed (note: I just checked, they haven't), but I've always found that if I attach a connector port to the winch (the KIS part, the one you are using now actually to join the things), then attach the stuff to the connector port, things work out fine.

Rune. I should just fire KSP as soon as I open the forum tab.

Edited by Rune

19 minutes ago, Rune said:

It's been a while since I've tried, so things might have changed (note: I just checked, they haven't), but I've always found that if I attach a connector port to the winch (the KIS part, the one you are using now actually to join the things), then attach the stuff to the connector port, things work out fine.

Rune. I should just fire KSP as soon as I open the forum tab.

Thanks, will check it later, descending as we speak, it goes very slow, so I have time to post some pics:

7QsV1EB.png

PnB8gHI.png

IjP7Cyc.png

tbc..