Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

“Lock S-foils in attack position.”

offDCLB.gif

“Big Six, flying top cover.”

“Little One, starting my attack run.”

My latest stock project started as one small craft, but feature creep happens...

Edited by Torquimedes

23 minutes ago, Torquimedes said:

“Lock S-foils in attack position.”

offDCLB.gif

“Big Six, flying top cover.”

“Little One, starting my attack run.”

My latest stock project started as one small craft, but feature creep happens...

Sweeeet! 

Sowww, The Kraken came by, pulling my drills underground some how...

crKTwC6.png

Restarted the operation and messed up hooking up the first drill....

bDHNXAD.png

Not giving up I now have 4 new drills ready for action. ^_^

ckV81EV.png

Is it worth it ? No.

Is it fun ? Hell yeah ! :cool:

Though it will never be as clean looking as @Servo swept wing designs, its a start and it actually is stable and works after roughly 2 hours of testing. Open to any suggestions to clean up the design! :)

EDIT: AND NO THIS IS NOT AN F-14 ITS JUST A BASE DESIGN FOR TESTING :P 

Note to self: Don't fast forward time.... also... I believe a plane would need those wings to actually fly... yet this 8.5 ton craft doesn't need it :P 

am7LbMp.png

Edited by ghostbuzzer7

20 minutes ago, ghostbuzzer7 said:

Though it will never be as clean looking as @Servo swept wing designs, its a start and it actually is stable and works after roughly 2 hours of testing. Open to any suggestions to clean up the design! :)E

DIT: AND NO THIS IS NOT AN F-14 ITS JUST A BASE DESIGN FOR TESTING :P

Note to self: Don't fast forward time.... also... I believe a plane would need those wings to actually fly... yet this 8.5 ton craft doesn't need it :P

Looks great! Looks like you know what you need to know to really start messing around with swing-wings (they're both awesome and frustrating at the same time). I wouldn't mind a download (if you're ready) - I'd like to see the guts of the machine.

As for my F-111...

The exploding stopped, which is great. I also went through the tedious process of changing the cockpit (the root part) to a more accurate design. I'll post the JotD shortly.

I also began working on this behemoth of an airplane for tomorrow:

8WBtuN8.png

55 meters long and that's at 75% scale. There's a reason it's called the Galaxy. Hopefully this version will have a working nose gate (it's cooperating for now), as well as an obscene amount of cargo space.

1 hour ago, ghostbuzzer7 said:

Though it will never be as clean looking as @Servo swept wing designs, its a start and it actually is stable and works after roughly 2 hours of testing. Open to any suggestions to clean up the design! :)

My F-14 has enough "wing deck" lifting surfaces to fly without its swing-wings, which greatly reduces the vertical load on the hinges.  Looks like you have the same feature.

I can't quite tell from your pics, but it looks like you're using a single RCS ball as the lever to move the wings.  I used one RCS ball per axle in earlier iterations of my X-wings, which only worked in ideal conditions.  Then I saw @Servo's Valkyrie and realized I could sandwich one airbrake between 2 RCS per axle.  Tricky to get the spacing between them right when the RCS and airbrake rotate around different points, but now my X-wings can safely transition at any orientation or speed.  I was amazed at the difference.

1 minute ago, Torquimedes said:

My F-14 has enough "wing deck" lifting surfaces to fly without its swing-wings, which greatly reduces the vertical load on the hinges.  Looks like you have the same feature.

I can't quite tell from your pics, but it looks like you're using a single RCS ball as the lever to move the wings.  I used one RCS ball per axle in earlier iterations of my X-wings, which only worked in ideal conditions.  Then I saw @Servo's Valkyrie and realized I could sandwich one airbrake between 2 RCS per axle.  Tricky to get the spacing between them right when the RCS and airbrake rotate around different points, but now my X-wings can safely transition at any orientation or speed.  I was amazed at the difference.

Just giving credit where credit is due, I first saw this method on @klond's mini Osprey. It's a really solid method, and I'm using it on my F-111 too. I was impressed as to how sturdy the Valkyrie was on the first few attempts too - it holds up to Mach 3 like a champ.

*Loving the swing-wing discussion here :)*

12 minutes ago, Servo said:

mini Osprey

Thx for the mention.  Fine helicopter, terrible plane - stuck in WIP hell.  'Just realized how ugly it is.

The RCS balls slide nicely against the airbrake with a proper gap.  Authority limiter allows pause and hold at any point in between.

l0Ex4edz8spFMUolG.gif

Continuing on my C-5.

1KgmbQk.png

This is a BIG plane. Almost definitely the largest thing I have ever made in KSP - and it's only at 75% scale!

0pkwbna.png

The closeup on the door hinge. It leaves an unsatisfactory amount of space for loading, but given the part count of this behemoth, it's unlikely that I'll be transporting stuff with it. Still plenty of room, if you feel so inclined.

3UaToyD.png

I added wings, engines, and landing gear next. It takes off really easily, but as with my KC-135, it pitches up too easily. I found that the answer is a large angle of attack and lots of pitch control, so modifications are being made.

jqo3Zip.jpg

The tailplane was the final piece of the craft. It still needs a lot more pitch control, but this is a start.

Edited by Servo

Hello again! Today I have another quick update on my vertical integration project for you all. I began construction on the launch pad from which the New Jeb will launch from. The New Jeb's transporter will roll the rocket onto the pad, where it will dock to the structure. The pad is designed to help the transporter withstand the immense weight of the fully fueled rocket. I will probably make use of auto-strut to fully secure the pad base to the booster. The pad is also heavy enough (700+ tons) to prevent the rocket from accidentally lifting the entire thing of the ground.

YjMTw8n.png

rkzrcLW.png

I was only able to test the integration of the booster stage alone because I have yet to actually assemble a complete rocket. Nonetheless the transporter successfully latched to the pad base.

rUevmO7.png

Mike Kerman checking out the pad to make sure everything is safe.

IhryV8D.png

Roof is safe!

xgFQtFG.png

MIke Kerman proceeded to leap off the roof insisting that the rocket stage required further inspection.

hQN3a53.png

This is where the upper stage engine would be if I could actually get it integrated properly...

5v0MQvK.png

I also started considering ways to fuel the rocket prior to launch. So far I have come up with this fuel tank, which would be connected to the launch pad.

0IjDDv5.png

The New Jeb needs at least 12 Kerbodyne tanks for fueling. Unfortunately this pad tank only has 9 of those, which means the pad would need 2 tanks.

-Rocket

Edited by RocketPilot573

Testing my new and improved SU-27 replica whithout SAS (I want all my replicas to be stable and controllable whithout SAS). And yes, these are controlled manoevres. And yes, I could fly it gently like a non-maniac, but that'd require me not to be a maniac. 

Edited by Jefzor

Hello again! I have another update for everyone (again?)! Very significant progress was made! First, a prototype of the crew access arm was installed on the previously mentioned launch tower.

3GKXoKD.png

IiPr8ZE.png

Mike Kerman trying out the access arm.

MmVG3jK.png

frn0qqJ.png

The arm is able to rotate outwards however it is not fully functional yet.

oPH3t2i.png

I also once again attempted to integrate an upper stage to the booster using the VIF (Vertical Integration Facility).

HD1OF9g.png

The upper stage was lifted to the top of the build to allow the booster stage to move in.

tSEwoxV.png

The VIF doors have been upgraded so that they can dock in the open position, allowing them to survive reloads.

yn31kqB.png

SeNGaLq.png

Mike Kerman drove the transporter into the hangar.

PrMtd2u.png

Then began the dramatic process of lowering the upper stage onto the booster.

aV7gtAI.png

In order for this to be successful both pairs of Jr. docking ports must latch and be properly aligned. It was at this point that I very slowly lowered the gantry crane, carefully maneuvering it with its four vector engines.

DZCdh2Q.png

Docked?!

84UjwuU.png

Docking confirmed! Upper stage is now integrated!

0n4rdIc.png

The New Jeb Rocket stands proud with its upper stage properly attached.

iyqbx6k.png

IpSalRI.png

lbRolr3.png

Afterwards, the gantry crane moved back to the top of the VIF, reset the horizontal crane to the front of the hangar, and lowered back down. At this point, the fairing would be rolled into the VIF and attached to the crane so it too could be placed on top of the New Jeb, but that will be for later.

Ezl9o8e.png

1iXu8qj.png

Next time: Hopefully integrating an entire stack and rolling out to the pad.

-Rocket

Edited by RocketPilot573

21 hours ago, Jefzor said:

Testing my new and improved SU-27 replica whithout SAS (I want all my replicas to be stable and controllable whithout SAS). And yes, these are controlled manoevres. And yes, I could fly it gently like a non-maniac, but that'd require me not to be a maniac. -snip-

doing a pugachev at 50 m/s????

First tests are going well...

3njAlwU.png

vZSQyqY.png

No more boats to bring the drills, the drill is attached and released by a seperator (after a kerbal has connected the winch (undocked mode))

This must be done this way to create a "lander", otherwise it is impossible to follow the drill to the bottom in camera view and we do need to see the bottom ! ^_^

Believe me, this looks easier than it is....:kiss:

21 hours ago, RocketPilot573 said:

IiPr8ZE.png

Amazed!

You seem pretty concerned with the fine details - the mechanical engineer in me winces a bit at the tower truss design though.  In this design, a counterclockwise torque at the top is constrained only by tensile forces, while clockwise torque is constrained by compression.  In the real world that kind of asymmetry can cause major fatigue failures.

If each layer had one diagonal pair (on opposing faces) sloping the other way, you'd have a wonderfully balanced structure.

This has been your structural mechanics minute, thanks for listening.

17 hours ago, Triop said:

Converting our first ore to LF.

Stats:

Time - 1 hour 10 minutes for 300 ore = 60 LF.

That stuff is gonna be expensive.... :lol:

7rFSVgW.png

Would the bigger ISRU refine it faster? If it's too big to fit on the oil rig, you could always build a boat or helicopter/plane to carry the ore back to land and refine it there.

6 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Would the bigger ISRU refine it faster? If it's too big to fit on the oil rig, you could always build a boat or helicopter/plane to carry the ore back to land and refine it there.

The refining is fine, it's just that going down and up takes 10 minutes (1.0 m/s).

Drilling takes time to, it can drill 100 ore on it's batteries before they reload.

the drill unit can hold 300 ore = 60 LF.

I have to test this in career mode to see how much spacebucks the Kerbals will pay for my LF. :lol: