Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

2 minutes ago, qzgy said:

The turret looks good, although the control surfaces used were not the ones I was talking about.

It were these

FAT445ControlSurface.png

Aye. I should've been clearer, though I said that while I had experimented with the smaller surfaces, the larger ones could work. However, they could present clearance issues if opened on the ground.

I'm working on a new Russian jet - the MiG-21. I'm not sure if the vertical stabilizer is swept back enough, any thoughts?

ZpZ9lMw.png

Image result for mig 21bis

And a top view of the plane. Is the air intake "shock cone" long enough or does it need to be longer?

PVYhmq9.png

In other news, after seeing @Servos new F-22 and his use of basic fins for thrust vectoring nozzles, I was inspired to remodel my F-22 for the third(!) time; while adding the nozzles to the plane. All credit goes to Servo for the nozzles. Thoughts?

tk2wVrw.png

Dg7mg7f.png

QnHgJaB.png

Image result for f-22 takeoff

The nozzles are as close as I could get them (angle-wise) without the exhaust heating them up and causing them to explode.

Edited by Munbro Kerman

16 minutes ago, Munbro Kerman said:

I'm working on a new Russian jet - the MiG-21. I'm not sure if the vertical stabilizer is swept back enough, any thoughts?

ZpZ9lMw.png

Looks good, maybe swep the main wings a little (see picture)

JhQJTaB.png

Using the small retrectable antennas on the back wingtips could also give it more detail ( see green circle)

Finally, (blue circle) you could do it like this:

TUunGnd.png

Great design, I might steal some ideas from ya... :cool:

:rep::rep::rep::rep::rep:

31 minutes ago, Munbro Kerman said:

-snip-

You nailed it bro !

Can we have it ?

I just love the MiG-21, still flying missions as we speak. :cool:

*Disclaimer: I hate weapons on jets, even pilots hate them....They just want to fly.

EDIT: @Munbro Kerman You can also put a dragshute in the reversed intake:

9qMnBl5.png

Edited by Triop

@Munbro Kerman I can help you with this project, I might sound negative, but I'm surely not, I'm just looking for the perfect stock MiG-21, and you are closer then I have ever seen. :cool:

Well, there is your problem...

tr359bj.png

Also,1310 LF fuel, a average Kerbal fighter can go around Kerbal using minimal 400-600 LF.

Removing fuel from some of the tanks can put your centre of mass and centre of lift in a much more maneuverable position, making the craft lighter.

Also, the "z-fighting" doesn't help the looks when static.

You nailed the shape though, I'll bet when you would overlay the blueprints of a MiG 21 on your model it would be 95% accurate.

The intakes on the wings gotta go, not needed, looks out of place.

Please continue your work on this magnificent machine. ^_^

Edited by Triop

25 minutes ago, Triop said:

@Munbro Kerman I can help you with this project, I might sound negative, but I'm surely not, I'm just looking for the perfect stock MiG-21, and you are closer then I have ever seen. :cool:

Well, there is your problem...

tr359bj.png

Also,1310 LF fuel, a average Kerbal fighter can go around Kerbal using minimal 400-600 LF.

Removing fuel from some of the tanks can put your centre of mass and centre of lift in a much more maneuverable position, making the craft lighter.

Also, the "z-fighting" doesn't help the looks when static.

You nailed the shape though, I'll bet when you would overlay the blueprints of a MiG 21 on your model it would be 95% accurate.

The intakes on the wings gotta go, not needed, looks out of place.

Please continue your work on this magnificent machine. ^_^

I'll be sure to empty some fuel and get rid of those intakes on the wings, not sure what happened there. Is there a way to remove the "z-fighting" besides not clipping parts?

2 minutes ago, Munbro Kerman said:

I'll be sure to empty some fuel and get rid of those intakes on the wings, not sure what happened there. Is there a way to remove the "z-fighting" besides not clipping parts?

Clip one of the parts up slightly from the other (it's possible to do it without. It's not a perfect fit, but it eliminates the z-fighting. I've used this on so many wings, and fuselages.

7 minutes ago, Munbro Kerman said:

I get rid of Z fighting by finetuning the part a very small to the left/right, if done right it will give very tiny not moving lines when static, and it won't affect your crafts performance.

The CoM and CoL position I use: (SSTO version)

n3l609o.png

@Triop @Servo Thanks to both of you. I'll have another image out in a few minutes.

-EDIT-

MiG-21 Update 3

Reduced the weight significantly, now it is ~10 tons. Removed useless air intakes on the wing, got rid of z-fighting on the entire craft. Improved maneuverability a bit, although it is the best I can do without changing the appearance of the craft. Here she is.

clkNSIs.png

WkrZhiI.png nZdu5mI.png

TWR Dry: 0.68

TWR Wet: 1.14

55 parts

Special thanks to @Triop and @Servo for helping me out with z-fighting and the overall performance of the aircraft.

Now, is there any last thing that should be changed before I place the final product on KerbalX?

Edited by Munbro Kerman

I was trying to make a cargo plane fro a train.

FENZL23.png

Doesn't exactly work. The wheels of the train like to break after I decouple it from the back. Any suggestions how to make it work better (as in not destroy the craft or wheels)? Currently the thing is attached via a decoupler on the back.

Craft files to mess with with:https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/Mallard-Train-v3-not-airdrop

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

I was trying to make a cargo plane from a train.

Doesn't exactly work. The wheels of the train like to break after I decouple it from the back. Any suggestions how to make it work better (as in not destroy the craft or wheels)? Currently the thing is attached via a decoupler on the back.

I had a look at it and I would suggest making the hitch with the ability to decouple and drop them as separate pieces. I can show you an idea on how to do that if you decide to give that a try.

btw I like how well the Cargo Plane handles, glad I took it for a spin it was fun!

Edited by Castille7

10 hours ago, Castille7 said:

I had a look at it and I would suggest making the hitch with the ability to decouple and drop them as separate pieces. I can show you an idea on how to do that if you decide to give that a try.

btw I like how well the Cargo Plane handles, glad I took it for a spin it was fun!

I think I will, being able to decouple would probably be very useful. Do you mind showing me your idea?

Also, thanks!