Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

4 hours ago, Triop said:

Ok *kuch* it, I'm going for tweakscale, some things just can't be done proper in stock...

QfaPmkf.png

There are other ways to do the F-5 without relying on Junos. This one uses airbrakes to form a fuselage that tapers, and the Mk0 tanks and intakes form the engines.

UvVARRR.png

Also, I started work on the XP-83, which was an early dedicated jet fighter design that, like most designs of its era, were plagued by underpowered, unreliable engines, and generally poor designs, as the straight-wing piston fighters just weren't fitted to jet modifications. Likewise, this replication is slow, clunky, hard to land, and ugly as an unattractive piston fighter with two jet engines bolted under the wings.

This is something I was working on. Replica of the X-36. Still not happy with the nose. Also the scale. Due to the way KSP works, this is about a 150% scale replica.

gY0DKKW.png

Also really annoying to turn in the yaw.

I have built a P-38 Lightning to the point that I am happy with the fuselage, but I can't build a bearing good enough to use inside a structural fuselage... they are either pathetically slow, or reliably unreliable.

sorry no pictures right now, I forgot to take some.

Another day, another project to chip away at.

FWpOQPl.png
Landing gear "doors" courtesy of minor craft file editing.
jWbe7xz.png
Super stable. Apart from flat spins. If you start to flat spin and dive, the kerbal is likely.... dead.

Need to finish paneling on the wings and back.

4 minutes ago, NorthAmericanAviation said:

If an Israeli F-15 that landed with one wing is any indicator, I agree.

I've heard about that story, it even happened to me in KSP crashing my rightwing into the VAB and still be able to land.

I wish I had Bandicam back then...^_^

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ehn8Ws6.jpg

MSUKGnn.jpg

Max speed so far is ~160 m/s, With a simple fairing around the legs, and optimization, i have reached over 200 m/s with this beast :wink:

max altitude ~16km 

To get around the annoying mass bug, i used the legs being on the rotors.

Still lots of optimization and tweaks (mainly making the body of the plane much more aerodynamic). During the past day and 1/2 of testing, i have learned that while the larger landing legs do not appear to have any more power, they have the advantage of being more durable. I have also learned that there is a max "speed" at which the legs CAN push, meaning that the diameter of the engine must be actually quite small in order to have any chance of speed.  Landing legs also appear to have a great torque to speed ratio, making larger inclination propellers more beneficial, however over torquing the legs will, rather than slowing the prop down, simpily overstress them. I also have found that the more radially attached legs, the less power per landing leg you get, however the less radial attached legs the more unstable the rotor becomes, making once again, a balance act between power and usability. Having more legs attached side by side, however, is a nice way to add more potential speed and torque, but not too many can be used, as they will start to over weigh the mass of the prop, and cause the instabreak problem to appear. 

I have also discovered that having multiple crafts inside one fairing bearing is buggy AF.

Edited by Bubbadevlin

Ladies and gentlemen! I present to you the first prototype turboprop that fits in a short MK2 cargo bay, without protruding elements!

jPk0Nqw.png

This baby will power a whole new line of airplanes and helicopters. Total part count of this little bird: 81.

And fascinating krakentech @Bubbadevlin! I would like to examine what you did there.

16 minutes ago, Azimech said:

..... first prototype turboprop that fits in a short MK2 cargo bay, without protruding elements! ..... Total part count of this little bird: 81.

That is amazing, man. I wonder how you did it this time.

A very nice craft too. I like the simplicity.

Edited by Dafni

16 hours ago, Azimech said:

Ladies and gentlemen! I present to you the first prototype turboprop that fits in a short MK2 cargo bay, without protruding elements!

jPk0Nqw.png

This baby will power a whole new line of airplanes and helicopters. Total part count of this little bird: 81.

I believe I have just witnessed another (r)evolution in Kerbal aeronautics.  Outstanding!  And the prototype is a beauty too.

On 5/14/2017 at 11:17 AM, Bubbadevlin said:

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Max speed so far is ~160 m/s, With a simple fairing around the legs, and optimization, i have reached over 200 m/s with this beast :wink:

max altitude ~16km 

To get around the annoying mass bug, i used the legs being on the rotors.

Still lots of optimization and tweaks (mainly making the body of the plane much more aerodynamic). During the past day and 1/2 of testing, i have learned that while the larger landing legs do not appear to have any more power, they have the advantage of being more durable. I have also learned that there is a max "speed" at which the legs CAN push, meaning that the diameter of the engine must be actually quite small in order to have any chance of speed.  Landing legs also appear to have a great torque to speed ratio, making larger inclination propellers more beneficial, however over torquing the legs will, rather than slowing the prop down, simpily overstress them. I also have found that the more radially attached legs, the less power per landing leg you get, however the less radial attached legs the more unstable the rotor becomes, making once again, a balance act between power and usability. Having more legs attached side by side, however, is a nice way to add more potential speed and torque, but not too many can be used, as they will start to over weigh the mass of the prop, and cause the instabreak problem to appear. 

I have also discovered that having multiple crafts inside one fairing bearing is buggy AF.

Someone on reddit just achieved 343ms in a stock propeller plane, let the games begin!

Omega 7 Phase II
(Update 5.15.17)

During Phase 2 of the Omega 7 Space Station I requested a better refuel craft (see the thread here) Mr. @Thor Wotansen built an Ultra Heavy SSTO Lift that did more then meet the demand, he surprisingly delivered 2x the amount of LF and Ox than what I was expecting giving me 3x the amount that I was doing per mission. Here is a video of my most recent Docking with Thor Wotansen's SSTO named the Borr. I've seen many large fuel craft on KSP including my own (Energy Source) and I don't see the efficiency out there that match his craft, if there are any I am sure there are very few.

Docking The Borr

Uggg.... i hate "cannot deploy while stowed"... freakin ruins half the things you can DO with fairings!! 

So far out of my testing, the only thing you can actuate inside a fairing, is docking ports (cuz logic) and other cargo bays (also makes TONS of sense!)

Anyone know a way around this thing? because I want to have my engine inside a fairing, but in order to deactivate it, the  legs must be retracted, something impossible inside a fairing... 

2 hours ago, Bubbadevlin said:

Uggg.... i hate "cannot deploy while stowed"... freakin ruins half the things you can DO with fairings!! 

So far out of my testing, the only thing you can actuate inside a fairing, is docking ports (cuz logic) and other cargo bays (also makes TONS of sense!)

Anyone know a way around this thing? because I want to have my engine inside a fairing, but in order to deactivate it, the  legs must be retracted, something impossible inside a fairing... 

If you have advanced tweakables enabled, there should be an option like "deploy while shielded". Tried that already?