Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

You guys say "flavor" all the time like it's special >:)

I prefer the following: Kinds, versions, models, and or designs.

Yeah, not used to hearing a few tons of metal and electronics, and a little more firepower called a "flavor" but I'm sure the taste of jet fuel in the air when those things compressor stall (*on rare occasions) would give them some taste.

8 hours ago, qzgy said:

The answer to this, AFAIK, is "not much, if at all"

Also, I can't remember, but are all flavors of the Super Hornet twin seaters?

Edit: Should have just looked it up. F/A-18E is not, F/A-18F is (a twin seater).

I was just going from memory.

2 hours ago, He_162 said:

You guys say "flavor" all the time like it's special >:)

I prefer the following: Kinds, versions, models, and or designs.

Yeah, not used to hearing a few tons of metal and electronics, and a little more firepower called a "flavor" but I'm sure the taste of jet fuel in the air when those things compressor stall (*on rare occasions) would give them some taste.

Admittedly, "flavor" was a poor word choice on my part. I said "flavor" as a way to spicen up my thought.

11 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Finally getting somewhere with my F/A-18.

(I know its missing the rear canards)

I don't know what seems to be off about it, but either the wings are a tad bit farther back than they should be or the fuselage is longer than it should be,  I can't tell. But it bothers me... not an OCD thing.... but it still bothers me... hmm.

It looks fine, just a tad bit off to me, I really do enjoy the rest of it, looks like a lot of hard work and effort to me! I'll enjoy seeing it when finished!

32 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Finally getting somewhere with my F/A-18.

perD2ZE.jpg

(I know its missing the rear canards)

Nice! Have to agree - it looks a bit long now.Also, it feels like the nose area before the cockpit should be longer.

I just started reworking my F-18 Hornet, and I wanted to share my solution to a problem I found, in case anyone else ever encounters the same issue. The problem with making Hornet canards is that they actuate fully, and there are no canards in the stock game that A. are that big, or B. have that rounded edge at the back. The only way to get that shape is by scuplting it with parts. All the other replicas I've seen have either used this canard, wich is to small and lacks the rounded edge of the real Hornet's canard, as you can see in these pictures:

qf7uUta.jpg

is?mXmw0UHeC3UUKGBcYYKiRHeZ94LSgc-oVShCG

Or just built a static canard with elevons. I wasn't happy with either of those, so I came up with my own idea. I sculpted the canard, then attached it to a stock hinge inside the fuselage, then placed a flap in fronnt of it, sandwiched between to RSC balls attached to the canard assembly.

UWOkPtm.jpg

The end result being a correctly sized and shape canard responding to controls, and producing the required control authority.

Pitch:

NmuZzpu.jpg

RkkZb6G.jpg

Roll:

WTIi9j4.jpg

Apologies if I'm not thhe first person to do this, I haven't seen any other crafts built this way.

9 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Or just built a static canard with elevons. I wasn't happy with either of those, so I came up with my own idea. I sculpted the canard, then attached it to a stock hinge inside the fuselage, then placed a flap in fronnt of it, sandwiched between to RSC balls attached to the canard assembly.

UWOkPtm.jpg

Thats really clever.

Oh, and this is just semantics, but a canard is something in front of the main wing. Its probably better to call this the horizontal stabilizer or something.

23 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I just started reworking my F-18 Hornet, and I wanted to share my solution to a problem I found, in case anyone else ever encounters the same issue. The problem with making Hornet canards is that they actuate fully, and there are no canards in the stock game that A. are that big, or B. have that rounded edge at the back. The only way to get that shape is by scuplting it with parts. All the other replicas I've seen have either used this canard, wich is to small and lacks the rounded edge of the real Hornet's canard, as you can see in these pictures:

Apologies if I'm not thhe first person to do this, I haven't seen any other crafts built this way.

Mind: http://m.imgur.com/gallery/zQ1WEH4

Must download

Edited by Skylon

10 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

The end result being a correctly sized and shape canard responding to controls, and producing the required control authority.

Pitch:

Roll:

I am thoroughly blown away. amazing job!

Cryptic puzzle of the day, can anyone guess what I am working on? I just thought this looked funny and completely not like what I have actually been building while home sick today. I'm going to post the answer here tonight (my time) in about 6 or 7 hours anyway. 

GblME4Q.png

Edited by selfish_meme

13 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Cryptic puzzle of the day, can anyone guess what I am working on? I just thought this looked funny and completely not like what I have actually been building while home sick today. I'm going to post the answer here tonight (my time) in about 6 or 7 hours anyway. 

GblME4Q.png

Giant inflatable Scott Manley bobble-head float for the annual Thankskerbin Day Parade?

Edited by XLjedi

1 minute ago, selfish_meme said:

That looks distinctly.... kerbal?

5 minutes ago, Bubbadevlin said:

That looks distinctly.... kerbal?

If your thinking of a Kerbal Head, it does look like one, but that's not what I am building. Hint it's a vehicle of some type, correct guess I post a screenshot of the 90% completed craft, it's worth it, well I think it's pretty neat, been figuring out how to do this one for a while. Took longer to make it stop exploding than it did to create the ship.

Edited by selfish_meme

21 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Pitch:

Roll:

Forgot to say I thought this was very nice and ingenious

I said in my Zeppelin staaken post that i was going to upload the "specialized cargo plane" soon :blush:...but i just haven't had time for since im busy doing work on the weekdays, and spending my weekends away from home doing a custom papermodel project that you'll get to see on the Lounge once it's done (still needs about a weekend full of work to get it properly done).

I have also been working on the little special project involving the Fouglas FC-8 :wink: (it has taken a ton of work and still needs loads more).

Alright, now for KSP stuff.

As much as i would like to show pics of pretty much all the stuff that needs to be uploaded, i think i'll just leave them for the future.

But, there is one project that needs to be shown again. And that would be the KBM-300 remaster project.

I have desided to change the project name to "Kerbal Defence Initiative" (yes, the name comes from my huge love for the C&C series :D), because it's not going to be just about the KBM-300 system and it's support vehicles anymore.

I already gave you a hint for a new launch system in a previous post here in the WIP thread.

There is also going to be tanks, armored cars, APC's, and all kinds of other stuff :). But no air vehicles or any navy vessels.

And here is something to hopefully get you all exited again.

0UxKKYr.png

It's the American Patriot system with it's HEMMT tractor and the Radar set :cool:. Still needs a missile transporter (HEMMT truck with some launch tubes sitting on the flatbed), a portable generator (HEMMT with a generator on the back), an Engagement control Station (M923 truck with a box with antennaes sitting on a flatbed), and Information Coordination Central (prettymuch the same as the previous one), and an Antenna Mast Group (M923 with some big mast's at the back). Don't know if i'm going to actually build them, tough i will make an M923 with a little "Command container" at the back.

I taught it would make for an excellent little project since ive always rally liked these kinds of trailer/truck based missile systems. And i had also done a replica of the HEMMT for this project, tough i had to do some mods to turn into a tractor unit, as well as to make it more like the original. Tough none of the HEMMT's that i know had a fully armored turret like that, only a partially armored turret (Guntruck versions).

But, why not add a personal touch to it...i mean, the thing that the KBM-300 system is based on was actually just a Missile transporter, meant for loading Minuteman missiles into silos :wink:.

Im hoping i'll be able to upload some new stuff this weekend :), but it depends on how much time the papermodel project takes :/.