Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Just putting the final touches on my micro Apollo 11. There still are a few tweeks to make. I'm having trouble with the composite tanks on the second stage holding together. About 330 parts right now. Lots of good replicas out there. I'm not sure if I'll bother putting a craft file out. What do you guys think? nunUQX4.pngZLoAXsG.png3Mrj2Bu.pngDpnnqx0.pngSaLQrrh.png

Apollo-style to Eeloo not working.

http://i.imgur.com/b96LWPD.png

Won't get off the pad...

EDIT: Got it off pad, but won't fly straight.

http://i.imgur.com/ydNMpDV.png

That thing is in dire need of struts, especially between the lower stages.

Just putting the final touches on my micro Apollo 11. There still are a few tweeks to make. I'm having trouble with the composite tanks on the second stage holding together. About 330 parts right now. Lots of good replicas out there. I'm not sure if I'll bother putting a craft file out. What do you guys think? http://i.imgur.com/nunUQX4.png http://i.imgur.com/ZLoAXsG.png http://i.imgur.com/3Mrj2Bu.png http://i.imgur.com/Dpnnqx0.png http://i.imgur.com/SaLQrrh.png

I think the only thing missing in there is an interstage between the S-IC and the S-II so you get rid of that inaccurate "coca-cola neck" and get and awesome staging event. To build it so it works as intended, just hang it on a radial strut decoupler pointing down form the upper stage, and keep it on that root, forget symmetry. That way it'll separate as a single piece after the first stage and before you ignite the engines, giving a very cool effect. That is, if you have the delta-v margin to make it to orbit with a heavier faring. That upper fairing would be more accurate if only the upper part separated and it did so in two halves, too. Other than that, very good looking! :) More so than mine, but then again, you are 100 parts over me already.

Rune. Hope that helps!

Edited by Rune

Yeah that curve had been bothering me. I just took care of it. That puts me at 379 parts. I can run that on my 5 year old laptop. The bottom part of the top fairing stays on but the top doesn't come off in two pieces (I can live with that). Thanks for the compliment. All that's needed now is a test run. I got work tomarrow so it will have to wait. BTW I'm really jealous of that N1.

Well, unorthodox would be putting it lightly. You sure you aren't part kerbal with some of those builds?

and that got you all the way through the tech tree. Wow. How long did the ion burns take? :P

You mean the number of parts maybe a bit excessive? Right now KSP is on desktop and my lander craft is 20 metres from the docking port, 2 fps but I can live with that. After I get rid of all the debris, and refuelers, maybe it will climb up to 10 fps.

Don't understand the second part. Are they look like a bit random? It was quite easy to burn through the tech tree, I ignored the useless parts like most space planes (turbo jet, etc.). It was very boring to fly everywhere on Kerbin, but there is a tundra biome right next to ksp, I flew to the desert and the reached the arctic with the shuttle. Conducted every research almost everywhere, then I went for material lab, and the thermometer.

Also doing EVAs above the land is easy, you don't have to fly, just stay on land and cling to your cockpit ladder. That's one, jump down EVA again, plus surface sample. That's three. Crew report, thermometer in air and on the ground. That's seven. Now near KSC alone you can reach 7 biomes out of 12: KSC, landing strip, launch pad, grassland, shore, tundra, water.

That's 7*7=49 experiments, not counting the easy Kerbin orbit and space stuff. If you land inside tha canyon of the farside crater and you go a bit east, you can do experiments, and it will count as the Northwest crater. That is three biomes next to each other on the mun.

I have found both of the tundra and the Nwc accidentally.

It took a month to do this, but only because I not play every day. I still have plenty of stuff to research, but the Ion and Nuclear engine was my goal, with the necessary additions of course (gigantron solar panel, docking ports, landing legs, decouplers).

I will post some pictures after I reach Duna today with the Ion Stardestroyer :cool:

-----

By the way what I saw in these pictures is that people never really use connectors. If you connect every part to every other part, I am sure your rockets will survive and fly straight.

Yeah that curve had been bothering me. I just took care of it. That puts me at 379 parts. I can run that on my 5 year old laptop. The bottom part of the top fairing stays on but the top doesn't come off in two pieces (I can live with that). Thanks for the compliment. All that's needed now is a test run. I got work tomarrow so it will have to wait. BTW I'm really jealous of that N1.

Thanks! I have just done the scary lunar part of the mission, and turns out I'm becoming a bit too good at measuring fuel. Consider this pic, especially the resources tab:

FnQ07fl.png

Yup, the LK was 10 m/s short of rendezvous in the end. And that is burning RCS for more than 100m/s! :0.0: (it IS a light lander, no RCS tank in there!). So I 've added a bit more fuel to the Blok D stage, should be more than enough now. Just so you don't have to do a perfect suicide burn to save your kerbals, and you don't know if you were good enough until after you lift off. You will still need to know your stuff to fly this, though. But, everything is really, really accurate except the Soyuz engine (should be an -s there at the end) and the Blok G, which is much too short. Meh, still the most accurate replica I have done. I'll post it up when Bill and Bob make it back to KSC!

In the meantime, I'm eager to see what you did regarding the interstage. I did a kind of typo and mislead you, BTW. Look up Munbug for the whole interstage trick, Mulbin did it better than I can explain ;)

Rune. I must tell you, docking while going suborbital is... exciting. :)

for mother russia ! *cough* :cool:

well i got inspired and working again on my Soyuz-Rockets. It was a hell of a time to just build the improved coresatge and second stage with enough fuel and lift (and working LES) :huh: i have to say: i love the .23 possibilty of trustlimitation etc.

all i have to do are the boosters now :confused:

payloadfraction is worse, REALLY worse, BUT it looks awesome.

here in the VAB right now:

h474.png

Heh, my first station got named Sárkány. Memories... :rolleyes:

And that's...quite a lot of solar panels :)

Magyar vagy testvér?

-----

After gaining a stable orbit with the lander, it took a few hours to dock to the outer edge of the middle solar unit. It was necessary to use the landers single front port, since the main triple ports at the rear still had a lot of fuel containers attached. I pumped the remaining fuel into the lower stage of the engine block, then jettisoned the engines and empty containers. Now I had to undock, reach the front, turn around and triple dock again.

Increasing my apoapsis went well, until the remains of my lower stage have broken off (probably due to 3x warp) and spun my ship really fast, but it almost exhausted all of its fuel by then so not a huge loss. After the nuclear engine also went dry, my apoapsis was at 2.2 million km, not really big.

And that was the moment when I activated my forty ion engines. At first I worried a bit about electricity, but the drainage was only 583.64 and the solar panels provided 634. My only problem is that my periapsis is currently in Kerbin's shadow.

a3c75f71_o.png

048a89d6_o.png

862172a2_o.png

Stardestroyer in all its glory.

c2ed1373_o.png

50d6c7fd_o.png

bfeb559b_o.png

Cargo SSTO:

trcu.png

Right now she's having fuel flow issues and is lacking in the dV department. Once the fuel issues are sorted, it will be able to make orbit. Now, the problem comes with the fact that she's supposed to carry up to 6 tons with her, and that it's gonna barely be able to get to space WITHOUT payload.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Javascript is disabled. View full album

Patriot PAC-1 (TEL Proof of Concept Demonstration Prototype Model with unshown explosive doors for the missile launch)

uJCOhAz.png

UKSC Remember The Name (Extremely large weapons compartment)

DTukxWA.jpg

F-4 Phantom (Extreme agility)

9zFnstO.jpg

X-3 Stiletto (Extreme speed)

eKiAF8C.jpg

Edited by andrew123

Great idea for a thread, Im new here and wanted to show my Apollo style lander

Front

screenshot54_zps552799ad.png

Rear

screenshot69_zpsd0acfcd3.png

When you want to go home a hotkey fires the assent stage engines and it detaches itself from the decent stage

screenshot70_zps862cce95.png

The assent stage has plenty of liquid fuel (360) and monopropellant to rendezvous with a command module

screenshot71_zps4e5b7957.png

I have a few tweeks to make and then im going to share it, it needs to have one of the plates at the front changed so you can see out the window in IVA mode, I recon I can loose a few partsas its currently 127 parts and I am going to change the action groups round a bit but I hope you like it! (All nice and stock)

You people aren't being waaay too insane with your designs now are you xP

I'm working on a SSTO Laythe-roundtrip-capable crew-replacement spaceplane that unlike my many previous attempts, might actually work. :confused:

Astroliner Mk-IV "Comet":

Has 7 jets, 72 intakes, looks cool, lands unpowered.

BUT... 1st design wasn't good - the atomics were touching the wings, and therefore spontaneously falling off... other than that, it's pretty good!

bTeSbmg.png

T3pWAIA.png

a5RUT3e.png

3qZhgPH.png

9hXaP4B.png

Prototype #2:

The centre wing parts were tilted by 5 degrees so now no wing parts are touching any important parts.

It has passed the Landing-In-The-Wilderness test on every try! nothing breaks off! my best plane of that category!

Also it now has it's cockpit tilted down by 10%, so now it may be possible to navigate in the atmosphere and land without leaving your cozy cockpit ;)

I'll keep no secrets ;)

LZ5tvcK.png

GNAvjGi.png

BczfL2h.png

EneaUF2.png

PNuhdjJ.png

vbtL2Oz.png

What a clear view!

NmYRlw5.png