GusTurbo

Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

8141 posts in this topic

“Lock S-foils in attack position.”

offDCLB.gif

“Big Six, flying top cover.”

“Little One, starting my attack run.”

My latest stock project started as one small craft, but feature creep happens...

Edited by Torquimedes
11 people like this

23 minutes ago, Torquimedes said:

“Lock S-foils in attack position.”

offDCLB.gif

“Big Six, flying top cover.”

“Little One, starting my attack run.”

My latest stock project started as one small craft, but feature creep happens...

Sweeeet! 

1 person likes this

Sowww, The Kraken came by, pulling my drills underground some how...

crKTwC6.png

Restarted the operation and messed up hooking up the first drill....

bDHNXAD.png

Not giving up I now have 4 new drills ready for action. ^_^

ckV81EV.png

Is it worth it ? No.

Is it fun ? Hell yeah ! :cool:

1 person likes this

Though it will never be as clean looking as @Servo swept wing designs, its a start and it actually is stable and works after roughly 2 hours of testing. Open to any suggestions to clean up the design! :)

EDIT: AND NO THIS IS NOT AN F-14 ITS JUST A BASE DESIGN FOR TESTING :P 

Note to self: Don't fast forward time.... also... I believe a plane would need those wings to actually fly... yet this 8.5 ton craft doesn't need it :P 

am7LbMp.png

Edited by ghostbuzzer7
4 people like this

20 minutes ago, ghostbuzzer7 said:

Though it will never be as clean looking as @Servo swept wing designs, its a start and it actually is stable and works after roughly 2 hours of testing. Open to any suggestions to clean up the design! :)E

DIT: AND NO THIS IS NOT AN F-14 ITS JUST A BASE DESIGN FOR TESTING :P

Note to self: Don't fast forward time.... also... I believe a plane would need those wings to actually fly... yet this 8.5 ton craft doesn't need it :P

Looks great! Looks like you know what you need to know to really start messing around with swing-wings (they're both awesome and frustrating at the same time). I wouldn't mind a download (if you're ready) - I'd like to see the guts of the machine.

As for my F-111...

The exploding stopped, which is great. I also went through the tedious process of changing the cockpit (the root part) to a more accurate design. I'll post the JotD shortly.

I also began working on this behemoth of an airplane for tomorrow:

8WBtuN8.png

55 meters long and that's at 75% scale. There's a reason it's called the Galaxy. Hopefully this version will have a working nose gate (it's cooperating for now), as well as an obscene amount of cargo space.

9 people like this

@Servo Sure thing, I wouldn't mind one bit someone with far greater experience with these takes a look at my design. I'll shoot you a PM with the download.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, ghostbuzzer7 said:

Though it will never be as clean looking as @Servo swept wing designs, its a start and it actually is stable and works after roughly 2 hours of testing. Open to any suggestions to clean up the design! :)

My F-14 has enough "wing deck" lifting surfaces to fly without its swing-wings, which greatly reduces the vertical load on the hinges.  Looks like you have the same feature.

I can't quite tell from your pics, but it looks like you're using a single RCS ball as the lever to move the wings.  I used one RCS ball per axle in earlier iterations of my X-wings, which only worked in ideal conditions.  Then I saw @Servo's Valkyrie and realized I could sandwich one airbrake between 2 RCS per axle.  Tricky to get the spacing between them right when the RCS and airbrake rotate around different points, but now my X-wings can safely transition at any orientation or speed.  I was amazed at the difference.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Torquimedes said:

My F-14 has enough "wing deck" lifting surfaces to fly without its swing-wings, which greatly reduces the vertical load on the hinges.  Looks like you have the same feature.

I can't quite tell from your pics, but it looks like you're using a single RCS ball as the lever to move the wings.  I used one RCS ball per axle in earlier iterations of my X-wings, which only worked in ideal conditions.  Then I saw @Servo's Valkyrie and realized I could sandwich one airbrake between 2 RCS per axle.  Tricky to get the spacing between them right when the RCS and airbrake rotate around different points, but now my X-wings can safely transition at any orientation or speed.  I was amazed at the difference.

Just giving credit where credit is due, I first saw this method on @klond's mini Osprey. It's a really solid method, and I'm using it on my F-111 too. I was impressed as to how sturdy the Valkyrie was on the first few attempts too - it holds up to Mach 3 like a champ.

*Loving the swing-wing discussion here :)*

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, Servo said:

mini Osprey

Thx for the mention.  Fine helicopter, terrible plane - stuck in WIP hell.  'Just realized how ugly it is.

The RCS balls slide nicely against the airbrake with a proper gap.  Authority limiter allows pause and hold at any point in between.

l0Ex4edz8spFMUolG.gif

12 people like this

19 minutes ago, klond said:

[thnip thnip]

Ye gods

A Castille7 and klond production.

4hixHRC.jpg

Jeb's on expedition, but he's gonna need a bigger boat!

meGn9Tp.png

Coming this spring to a forum near you.

9 people like this

3 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I've been experimenting with gears:

RaV5OTm.png

Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.

3 people like this

Continuing on my C-5.

1KgmbQk.png

This is a BIG plane. Almost definitely the largest thing I have ever made in KSP - and it's only at 75% scale!

0pkwbna.png

The closeup on the door hinge. It leaves an unsatisfactory amount of space for loading, but given the part count of this behemoth, it's unlikely that I'll be transporting stuff with it. Still plenty of room, if you feel so inclined.

3UaToyD.png

I added wings, engines, and landing gear next. It takes off really easily, but as with my KC-135, it pitches up too easily. I found that the answer is a large angle of attack and lots of pitch control, so modifications are being made.

jqo3Zip.jpg

The tailplane was the final piece of the craft. It still needs a lot more pitch control, but this is a start.

Edited by Servo
7 people like this

Hello again! Today I have another quick update on my vertical integration project for you all. I began construction on the launch pad from which the New Jeb will launch from. The New Jeb's transporter will roll the rocket onto the pad, where it will dock to the structure. The pad is designed to help the transporter withstand the immense weight of the fully fueled rocket. I will probably make use of auto-strut to fully secure the pad base to the booster. The pad is also heavy enough (700+ tons) to prevent the rocket from accidentally lifting the entire thing of the ground.

YjMTw8n.png

rkzrcLW.png

I was only able to test the integration of the booster stage alone because I have yet to actually assemble a complete rocket. Nonetheless the transporter successfully latched to the pad base.

rUevmO7.png

Mike Kerman checking out the pad to make sure everything is safe.

IhryV8D.png

Roof is safe!

xgFQtFG.png

MIke Kerman proceeded to leap off the roof insisting that the rocket stage required further inspection.

hQN3a53.png

This is where the upper stage engine would be if I could actually get it integrated properly...

5v0MQvK.png

I also started considering ways to fuel the rocket prior to launch. So far I have come up with this fuel tank, which would be connected to the launch pad.

0IjDDv5.png

The New Jeb needs at least 12 Kerbodyne tanks for fueling. Unfortunately this pad tank only has 9 of those, which means the pad would need 2 tanks.

-Rocket

Edited by RocketPilot573
5 people like this

Testing my new and improved SU-27 replica whithout SAS (I want all my replicas to be stable and controllable whithout SAS). And yes, these are controlled manoevres. And yes, I could fly it gently like a non-maniac, but that'd require me not to be a maniac. 

Edited by Jefzor
6 people like this