Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

3 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Clock. That looks like the escapement (Is that what its called? Its the thing attached to a pendulum in a pendulum clock)

Correct!

2017-04-15%2013-57-20.png

I've gotten the escapement (to be specific it's an anchor escapement) working fairly reliably now, but I need to adjust the pendulum, as currently it's period is about 4.28 seconds, which will not be very useful for keeping time. I'm hoping to optimize the escapement for smoothness, make chains from thermometers and RCS ports and create a weight drive mechanism, but for now it will just use a reaction wheel as a stand in.

I was thinking of using a gravity escapement, but it's kind of bulky, so I figure I'll leave that for a future project. I want this thing to have the traditional grandfather clock look.

36 minutes ago, Triop said:

Scraping the boat I made yesterday, it's to heavy, top speed = 9.8 m/s'''...

SEalPZB.png

Made a smaller new design that goes a bit faster.

H6eya73.png

Maybe try some whiplash engines on the first boat design. They have more power and still easy on fuel. Also I've been using Thuds for control, these could be used for reverse.

Edited by Castille7

9 minutes ago, Castille7 said:

Maybe try some whiplash engines on the first boat design. They have more power and still easy on fuel. Also I've been using Thuds for control, these could be used for reverse.

I did, tried all sorts of things, speed stays around 10 m/s.

I don't mind moving on to a new design, I like the one I'm working on now.

In fact, it is finished:

NIim1F9.png

@Triop don't know if you've followed various recent activity around hydrofoils - it's really simple to lift the hull out of the water and then skate along at 200+m/s, and even be able to turn stably at those speed.  Might need more power to get up on the foils but I bet its doable

8 minutes ago, fourfa said:

@Triop don't know if you've followed various recent activity around hydrofoils - it's really simple to lift the hull out of the water and then skate along at 200+m/s, and even be able to turn stably at those speed.  Might need more power to get up on the foils but I bet its doable

I never tried that, I've seen it, but never tried.

It's a good idea, I will do some research and give it a try.

12 hours ago, Triop said:

Upgrading the hydrofoil, 270 kph stable flight. <Snip>

I think this project is done, going back to big ships.

Cabin rooms: <snip>

Who says big ships can't be hydrofoils?

Spoiler

Jetfoil-pass.jpg

Anyways, my clock is starting to go from looking like a longcase clock to looking like the little battery powered pendulum clock above my fireplace. Ah well. No pictures at the moment.

Still hasn't stopped me from getting the Grandfather Clock song stuck in my head. Most specifically this guy's version.

Maybe I can lengthen the pendulum and use a 5 second period instead of a 2 or 3 second one. Hmm...

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

1 minute ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Who says big ships can't be hydrofoils?

Hide contents

Jetfoil-pass.jpg

Anyways, my clock is starting to go from looking like a longcase clock to looking like the little battery powered pendulum clock above my fireplace. Ah well. No pictures at the moment.

Maybe I can lengthen the pendulum and use a 5 second period instead of a 2 or 3 second one. Hmm...

Nice, but how strange it may sound I'm building this big ship to sink, not to rise.

Just now, Triop said:

No, I want it at the bottom of the sea so I can go explore it with a submarine, yes, i have no life...

So essentially an artificial shipwreck. I like the thinking.

I decided to get back into some KSP stuff, and have been working on my leg propelled props some more.. unfortunately, i still have no luck with that. I did find the very interesting phenomenon that while my propeller would spin fine with a very light craft,

jLFh2Z2.jpg

When I increased the weight of said object, the propeller would completely fail. (ore tanks on bottom added, nothing else changed)

N4tHXsu.jpg

This combined with the already known aspect that these legs tend to break when moving faster makes me believe that KSP is modeling like the legs are on the ground when they touch the panels. So if it is a heavy caft, even if the weight is not resting on the legs, they will still break like it is. This would also make sense since legs have a maximum speed that they can travel over ground before breaking at (roughly the same as when the legs break on an aircraft). This is unfortunate because that means that there is not real way to get around this fact, and it is just part of KSP's odd coding, Forever dooming these great t/w ratio engines to  very slow and light crafts. 

4 hours ago, Azimech said:

@Bubbadevlin try it with the smallest retractable landing gear, they're almost impossible to break.

Btw, never heard of such an engine before. Seems a funny concept.

I was working on something like this a few months ago (did not have much success, and have not played much KSP)

The problem with the retractable landing gear is the hitboxes and very little amount of suspension, rather than "pushing" the plate, the plate clips into the hitbox almost anywhere you put it meaning that even VERY small intervals will just jam. 

Omega 7 Phase II

I just woke my majestic beast Omega 7 :D I've never really did anything with it because it had so many parts and it was lagging the game. Now with this latest version the lagging isn't bad and I've also reduced its parts after I achieved Orbit. I released half of the fuel tanks and engines and also half of the Nerv Engines (Atomic Motors). Starting to refuel it and not sure where to go with it. This one is going to be a long term project, plans are to touch on this once in a while during other projects. Best title I could think of sense the craft has already been released.

SpaceTech Docking With Omega 7 to began refueling

aoBM5tX.png

Started a few hours ago and already thinking why I started this.

I once had a car like this, a Citroën DS 21 Pallas BVH 1969 (BVH = Boite Vitesse Hydraulique, it's a semi automatic gearbox).

The real car is widely considered to be one of the pivotal designs in the history of automobiles by virtue of its revolutionary design, advanced hydraulics giving it and exceptionally smooth ride and lots of safety features. It was leaps ahead of its time. The hydraulic system powered the self-leveling suspension, power steering and brakes. Production lasted from 1955 to 1975. The DS placed third in the 1999 Car of the Century poll recognizing the world's most influential auto designs and was named the most beautiful car of all time by Classic & Sports Car magazine.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citroën_DS

This is the first time I'm using mods in a long time, building it real scale, and it's going to take many hours to get right. Maybe months.

This is the original (third nose, model year 1968):

citoren-ds21-pallas-14-48da36fc.jpg

citoren-ds21-pallas-19-9653114d.jpg

And then there's this. Extremely rough and low-poly. Please don't laugh.

The end result should have some kind of an engine, it will have hinges for the doors, bonnet, trunk lid. Mods so far: Pwings, Pwings texture replacer, Pwings glass mod, tweakscale. If needed I'll revive my own Procedural Parts Extended mod.

Wish me luck and patience.

Edited by Azimech

Been working on my pendulum clock.

a1zO3tL.jpg

Just need one more 1:5 gear reduction and I'll have a working minute hand. Then I'll need either a 1:6 gear and an idler gear, or a 1:2 gear and 1:3 gear to get the hour hand working... or would Kerbals have clocks that complete a cycle every 3 hours? In that case it would be 1:3 gear and an idler gear. Anyways, I have a shaft that spins at the right rate to theoretically have a second hand, but testing showed it would be too sensitive, visibly floating backwards at points due to backlash. Speaking of which, I need to figure out some way to reduce that.

@Azimech Looks better than any car I've ever made :P

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
@Azimech