Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

11 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Set the control authority to a negative value.

OMK !

Been playing this game for 2 years now, AND I DID NOT KNOW THAT !

HMa4Rik.png

DpdkRFT.png

Thank you landgenoot, I can finaly make my MiG-15 :cool:

Edited by Triop

Haven't really mentioned too much about this F1 but I think It's all done... It's crazy low to the ground that even I'd recommend no crash damage because the terrain on the KSC is not flat... but to showcase how much downforce it has, I put no gravity on and it still stuck to the ground... and at the end of the gif, I overturned causing... well you'll see :P 

16 hours ago, Triop said:

Nice !

My bird has some problem with the weight distribution, front elevons go down in stead of up...<_<

q5isinF.png

I also think the ailerons should not be doing pitch, as it's not a delta wing with elevons, and it already has elevators, ailerons are for roll, the inboard flaps are deployed or not deployed?

45 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

They have a very low impact speed (15ms), so craft tend to destroy them on landing, mk3 fuselages are 50ms

Landing gear needs to have springs set to a low value, typically 50% or 30% of the dampers.

I thought it might be fun to share some steps of development of a plane.  Seems like the WIP thread is a good spot.

After seeing the Stratolauncher get rolled-out I tackled a build of the craft again.  I'm sure many of you have done this, and in fact, a small version is stock in the game.

I started with a conventional version to lift a Mun-mission rocket.

t5StFlR.png

But to be honest, I hated the performance of the Goliath Turbofans.  They are total dogs.  The plane could barely muster 8km and 180 m/s after a long, arduous climb.  The rocket would never have enough dV to get to the Mun.

So instead I switched things out for Whiplashes and Rapiers and cut the drag.

mDtqMHp.png

This led to a ridiculous jump in performance.

Q7xN1kY.png

It's so satisfying to watch the rocket peel away from the plane.  This is 20+km and 1000 m/s: MUCH better.

OxUT3Uq.png

The spindly looking airplane is very easy to fly, but can be a challenge to land on the runway due to its wide stance.

dEYm2kv.png

The whole rocket made it to the moon.  Not exactly efficient, but the payload was not really my focus here.  Just a proof-of-concept.

2fy4mLY.png

Still, the gang seems jazzed about the whole thing.

BQklC3F.png

After the successful moon mission I wanted to ramp things up.  There were some weight-and-balance issues with the design that cropped-up when heavier loads were attempted.  The original design had the engine mass under the wing.  This new design puts it all at the back.  Some ballancing with Oxidizer "ballast" was an inelegant but effective solution.  To carry heavier payloads, that ballast needs to go.  The Center of Mass was migrating too far forward when loaded, which meant that the Plane needed fuel pumping after launching the payload.  It worked, but was a cumbersome process.  Pushing the whole wing back was a near instantaneous fix.   With that taken care of, I decided to find out how much this thing can lift.  Answer: A lot.

2m5QTEm.png

But it was clear that ground clearance was going to be a problem on takeoff.  The wider payload, and the fact that it was pushed farther back made rotating for takeoff... unwise.  I needed to either use taller landing gear (which would eliminate steering), or cantilever the center section of the wing.  I decided the later was a better idea.

kW77NXl.png

This gave plenty of ground clearance for a 5 meter (or so) fairing piece on this Eve-bound space station rocket.

yIZclnV.png

Up to orbit to await a transfer window.

XqvJdsJ.png

I am certain I could turn this thing into an SSTO by swapping some engines around and carrying some oxidizer.  It seems silly to do that: so I am certain I will try it now.  The real challenge is going to be slowing the plane down fast enough before the wings heat-soak and explode.  We'll see!

Edited by Exothermos
mashed submit button too soon

Been working on my Apollo moon mission replica again.

PYBk4oj.jpg

The CSM now has crew capacity, the umbilical, and the antenna. Thinking I might do a custom service module engine. It doesn't look right with all the mainsail turbomachinery components sticking out at the base. I need to do some meddling in the craft file to set up the fairing around the LM. The in-game tool is kind of finicky with this kind of thing.

After that I'll do tests flying this thing to the Mun and back from LKO, then I've got to do the S-IC and S-II stages, and the the launch escape system. Then more testing, and then it will finally be done. Might try to do some part count reduction on the LM again. If I can get it low enough I might add ALSEPs and a LRV.

I might be wrong but I don't think this has been done before.

So I've started a car economy challenge: how far can you drive with a car powered by a jet engine and 50 units of fuel. And the basic rule is: it has to look like a car instead of a rover, even if the small landing gear wheels make it look stupid.

So far so good :D

3 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Been working on my Apollo moon mission replica again.

PYBk4oj.jpg

The CSM now has crew capacity, the umbilical, and the antenna. Thinking I might do a custom service module engine. It doesn't look right with all the mainsail turbomachinery components sticking out at the base. I need to do some meddling in the craft file to set up the fairing around the LM. The in-game tool is kind of finicky with this kind of thing.

After that I'll do tests flying this thing to the Mun and back from LKO, then I've got to do the S-IC and S-II stages, and the the launch escape system. Then more testing, and then it will finally be done. Might try to do some part count reduction on the LM again. If I can get it low enough I might add ALSEPs and a LRV.

That looks awesome. How's the part count?

Just now, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Currently it's at 365 parts. 80% of that is in the LM. I'm working on reducing its part count.

That's actually not too bad.

Working on a jet that has to look like an old soviet prototype fighter jet (fictional)

I love the ladder, cheap and it works. Soviet technology is awesome. :cool:

ZvVd8YJ.png

SONhOuI.png

Edited by Triop

3 hours ago, Azimech said:

I might be wrong but I don't think this has been done before.

So I've started a car economy challenge: how far can you drive with a car powered by a jet engine and 50 units of fuel. And the basic rule is: it has to look like a car instead of a rover, even if the small landing gear wheels make it look stupid.

Not sure if this is a challenge or not....<_<

^_^