Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Still playing about with my TX range - up to 11 aircraft now. Had to make a design concession on this one though and use Tail Connector B from the next node up, otherwise same as previously in terms of parts used.

Must admit, this is my favourite so far. Just goes to show you can build some interesting stuff using low tier parts.

751741F5D237878D2FDA2785846DAC1220501BA1

I've had an idea today, that since the docking-less cube hadn't been panning out, maybe I could make a sort of "compromise cube" that only uses 4 docking attachments per layer instead of 8. I would have to find a way to secure the corners, but the edges would be truly attached. Or perhaps I'll find it's better to do it the other way 'round. Anyways, I've started designing it and hopefully it will turn much quicker than the first two and reduce the bad side effects of buggy docking ports, making a full solve feasible. If it ever gets to that point...I might consider streaming the solve attempt                   but that's not something to worry about yet

Any tips for my Porsche 918 Spyder replica? (Version 1.3) I'm looking for some criticism on the new body design before release, rear bumper is unfinished, and the dash is not either, so ignore that for now.
Changes:

-Complete overhaul on body

-boost flaps added

-More power

-Handling tweaked

MJGGk1A.png

Update on the Porsche, I finished that design, and uploaded it as version 1.3.

It has some performance issues I wish to iron out, such as body lift causing the craft to veer left or right at high speeds (70+ m/s) and this was somewhat fixed by clipping some elevons in the frame in places, but it still isn't a fix.

Any help?

8 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Man that's cool! You are really enjoying those backwards fuel cells! Turning parts bacwards has served me well too for years. :)

Yeah... I've got something in the works that you may like, I'm gonna be borrowing your hinge for it... need some Gulf Wings... and a whole lotta plutonium for this amount of energy... oh... and it's gotta be strong at the speeds this thing gets to.

Finalizing the upgrade of my Heinkel 219 "Uhu". For the first time with spinning propellers and a nice smoke effect from the "engines". I also improved aerodynamics and replaced the four Juno's with four Wheesley's, giving it a top speed almost matching the original (616 km/h). Oh and I made the airframe stiffer.

Update: the engine wobble you see in the animation is now gone.

Edited by Azimech

8 minutes ago, He_162 said:

I just got done designing the Gulf Wings for my upcoming DeLorean... Oh, and I'm streaming the build live right now. I'm sure you can find me if you wanna watch :)

Actually ... I don't have a clue. Twitch?

3 hours ago, He_162 said:

Yeah... I've got something in the works that you may like, I'm gonna be borrowing your hinge for it... need some Gulf Wings... and a whole lotta plutonium for this amount of energy... oh... and it's gotta be strong at the speeds this thing gets to.

Hey don't forget the Flux Capacitor!

3 hours ago, Azimech said:

Finalizing the upgrade of my Heinkel 219 "Uhu". For the first time with spinning propellers and a nice smoke effect from the "engines". I also improved aerodynamics and replaced the four Juno's with four Wheesley's, giving it a top speed almost matching the original (616 km/h). Oh and I made the airframe stiffer.

Holy Smokes man that is looking cool!

Update:
Added base for the chassis below the doors, and the bottom portion of the door to give it some weight, and give the side some detail.
Tweaked door hinges (might redo them and remove octagonal struts to make it smoother in appearance.

I have been working on this with my stream, support and criticism would be appreciated. (TWITCH)
DmNrANW.png

Version 0.6 early access release of my DeLorean for those who want a closer look at it!
https://kerbalx.com/He_162/162--DeLorean-v06

Spoiler

B2qpBU9.png

UkdC4Ny.png

x8mMgD0.png

7gkeJvw.png

My3GubN.png

Version 0.8 will be it "completed", but Version 1.0 will fix the issues with the hood being at the wrong angle, and the chassis being too skinny, just proportional issues at the moment.

It's been a while since I posted a proper WIP, so here goes.

I realized that we didn't have the F-15 ACTIVE on the X-plane of the day thread, and that it would be due up in two days. So I decided to remedy that.

UIlx7dd.png

I took my F-15 from JotD and slapped four more of the standard canards on (two on the tail, and two on the front). Then I decided that was too easy.

y1vkjsk.png

So I started on this. I also realized that nobody had made a full-scale stock F-15 (they're bigger than they look) on KerbalX. And here we are now. The elevons are mocking out the size and shape of the craft, so its obvious that this will take a lot of work.

Well, at least if I miss the deadline for XotD, I'll have the first one.

53 minutes ago, Servo said:

Well, at least if I miss the deadline for XotD, I'll have the first one.

If you look at the thread, many deadlines have been missed. So seeing the first full scale stock F-15 (active, too) would be a real treat.

14 hours ago, qzgy said:

If you look at the thread, many deadlines have been missed. So seeing the first full scale stock F-15 (active, too) would be a real treat.

I stopped making deadlines for my large lifters, and haven't made one for my DeLorean for that reason :)

I am working on a car that has a clamp-o-tron at the top, so it can dock with my WIP Multi-Purpose Lifter, or MPL. The idea is for the MPL to drive up to the car, then the cars hidden landing legs would extend, and dock with the lifter. Afterwards, I would fly it to my desired location, and ditch the MPL. The goal is for the MPL to be as cheap as possible.

Another project will be my Multi-Purpose Hexagonal Docks, or MPHDs. They are pretty much hexagons made out of the 2x2 structural panels, which can be used for storage, habitation, engines, ships, or even a bunch of I-Beam missiles!

Will report back when I'm done.

DeLorean v0.8 early release! (streaming on twitch working on v0.9.)

https://kerbalx.com/He_162/162--DeLorean-v08

2 minutes ago, Casualnaut said:

I am working on a car that has a clamp-o-tron at the top, so it can dock with my WIP Multi-Purpose Lifter, or MPL. The idea is for the MPL to drive up to the car, then the cars hidden landing legs would extend, and dock with the lifter. Afterwards, I would fly it to my desired location, and ditch the MPL. The goal is for the MPL to be as cheap as possible.

Another project will be my Multi-Purpose Hexagonal Docks, or MPHDs. They are pretty much hexagons made out of the 2x2 structural panels, which can be used for storage, habitation, engines, ships, or even a bunch of I-Beam missiles!

Will report back when I'm done.

I would put the claw on the lifter :)

The F-15 full-scale is coming along nicely. Despite the fact that we only have a cockpit, air intakes, and some magically floating engines, flight tests are underway.

Y266cpN.png

The glass bubble was completed today, as well as the nose, and some more work on the air intakes + wings.

fZzBdlT.png

Any feedback on the cockpit? The solar panel bubble cockpit was the major gripe about my F-14, so I'd like to learn from that and make this one better. The other option is to have an open cockpit with ejection seats, but that doesn't look as good, IMO.

7 minutes ago, Servo said:

The F-15 full-scale is coming along nicely. Despite the fact that we only have a cockpit, air intakes, and some magically floating engines, flight tests are underway.

The glass bubble was completed today, as well as the nose, and some more work on the air intakes + wings.

Any feedback on the cockpit? The solar panel bubble cockpit was the major gripe about my F-14, so I'd like to learn from that and make this one better. The other option is to have an open cockpit with ejection seats, but that doesn't look as good, IMO.

I like the cockpit! Any way to (possibly) make it hollow, and put a kerbal inside it, make the top capable of coming off with a sepratron, and having an ejection seat inside?

Edited by He_162

8 minutes ago, Servo said:

Any feedback on the cockpit?

Its looking good. Have you tried gravioli's? I've had better luck with those. IMO, they give a smoother appearance because the segment sizes are smaller. You can see it on my vertijet from a little while back.

•  

Vj3J28D.png

I basically took a spine of octagonal struts and attached the gravioli's on that, and adjussted it. The octagonal struts make moving an entire row easier, and attaching the graviloi's also a bit easier.