Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

just a recent proof of concept design, the interplanetary ship is far away from being finished. still (light) lander and a good 3man crewferry missing and other smal stuff.

main goal was to test some enginesectiondesigns for my roughly 60 tons manned interplanetary section. the whoel ship had to be "realstic" as far as possible... after some tests with single nuclearengine and electric engines from the near future pack, i used my frighter... and the idea behind the multifunction frighter was a succes. not only cargo can be transported, i can easly be modified to be the enginesection for a larger interplanteary ship.

the Duna~Explorer

naxt.png

the cargofrighter

oavq.png

funfact: the frighter is nearly finsihed since weeks. and i played around with the engines for my dunaexplorer since ... weeks. only today i got the idea to use my frighter.

recycling at it's best :ccol:

I'm working on what I would call "bundled" SRBs. Basically, I've attached 20 large SRBS below a probe core So they're mostly clipped into each other, creating the appearance of a single booster. At around 65% thrust, the bundled booster puts out about 4000 kN, with 2.5 TWR, and 4000 delta V. With this technique, I might be able to create the first SRB SSTO. :sticktongue:

I'm working on what I would call "bundled" SRBs. Basically, I've attached 20 large SRBS below a probe core So they're mostly clipped into each other, creating the appearance of a single booster. At around 65% thrust, the bundled booster puts out about 4000 kN, with 2.5 TWR, and 4000 delta V. With this technique, I might be able to create the first SRB SSTO. :sticktongue:

Nice!

I'm looking forward to your shuttle Gus, that nosecone looks great!

I tested my Dreamchaser's rear docking port with the only thing I have in Kerbin orbit which is my little skylab.

The docking port passed all tests! I'm very happy I don't have to do any more work on this!

AC41DA9459C4B07FA135FE8DCD21F0D17B94A175

8835CC4E5C2913F6B375865E6141C71FBC9F7309

EA5D3C5131C1739E22DC99B872C3F77C36A2A7B3

E61B3B5E259CA665675A3029E005C3A8001A34C9

No time for a KSC landing. :(

Thanks all!

MJ

Looking really good! How much delta-v does it have?

I'm not sure Woopert, I will work it out tomorrow.

At present each of the motors have 9 small toroidal

Tanks to feed from. I have 4 full at the moment and that

Is enough for orbit changes, to help with docking and then to

Deorbit. It could do a mun flyby with all tanks full I think.

MJ

I'm not sure Woopert, I will work it out tomorrow.

At present each of the motors have 9 small toroidal

Tanks to feed from. I have 4 full at the moment and that

Is enough for orbit changes, to help with docking and then to

Deorbit. It could do a mun flyby with all tanks full I think.

MJ

That thing is beautiful! Would you mind uploading it? I really want to steal your technology see how you made it. :D

Good to hear and can't wait to try it out! :D

Are there hidden control surfaces on the inside to make it controllable in atmosphere? I still can't get over how perfect it is. :)

Thanks man!

I did a lot of testing on this craft. I know that lifting bodies do work in KSP to a certain extent but not for something like my Dream Chaser.

At first she was falling at around 60 degrees and was uncontrollable.. So, in order to simulate the Dream Chaser for KSP it is necessary to clip

some surfaces inside the craft. It simulates how the real DC's smooth belly works in the atmosphere.

I am curious to see what people think of the way she flies. I would love some feedback from some 'test pilots' on this.

MJ

Working on a SSTO fighter which is proving a challenge. I uncovered the old craft file from 0.20 or something so I've had to make a lot of changes to make it work properly again.

Having trouble with asymmetrical flameout though. :( I still need to test its docking ability as well as whether the kerbals can actually get in via the ladders. After that its time for the aesthetics and mounting weapons.

May reduce the amount of oxidiser as well as there is a bit of excess.

gyPw0rO.png

Thanks man!

I did a lot of testing on this craft. I know that lifting bodies do work in KSP to a certain extent but not for something like my Dream Chaser.

At first she was falling at around 60 degrees and was uncontrollable.. So, in order to simulate the Dream Chaser for KSP it is necessary to clip

some surfaces inside the craft. It simulates how the real DC's smooth belly works in the atmosphere.

I am curious to see what people think of the way she flies. I would love some feedback from some 'test pilots' on this.

MJ

Post a download link and you'll have your test pilot!

Thanks man!

MJ

Nice engineering there! The whole thing is spectacular.

I'm all for clipping control surfaces if it's something that should work in the game but can't due to KSP physics limitations. I.e., totally necessary for a lifting body (unless you have FAR). :)

Nice engineering there! The whole thing is spectacular.

I'm all for clipping control surfaces if it's something that should work in the game but can't due to KSP physics limitations. I.e., totally necessary for a lifting body (unless you have FAR). :)

That's exactly my thinking too. Thanks, I really appreciate the praise. Makes posting these things worthwhile.

MJ

Around 700-800 parts, and yes I can use some work on the engines, maybe clip it into the fuel tank just a little so only the nozzle is showing. And maybe make it look like it has a dome on top of every block so it looks like it has spherical fuel tanks, maybe widen the skirt on the bottom of Block A just a little bit, I need to work the fairing for Block D (maybe redesign the whole fairing), and I think i'm going to make the escape tower a ascetic feature, because of the immense power needed to carry the Soyuz off of the N1, and it takes special and different action groups for the fairing to be separated and firing the escape tower. But here is the picture of the escape tower in use before the fairing change. Also the engine count isn't that accurate, for example I have 39 engines (suppose to be 30) in block A, 16 engines (suppose to be 8) on block B, and 12 engines (suppose to be 4) on block V.

Apparently one of the fuel tanks glitched out, exploded and caused a chain reaction. Got out just in time. Jeb enjoying 8 g's

8w3tzfG.png

Spherical fuel tanks, with (from bottom to top) Block A, Block B, Block V, Block G, Block D, LK, Soyuz, escape tower

3Xw2kxr.jpg

Edited by xoknight

Around 700-800 parts, and yes I can use some work on the engines, maybe clip it into the fuel tank just a little so only the nozzle is showing. And maybe make it look like it has a dome on top of every block so it looks like it has spherical fuel tanks, maybe widen the skirt on the bottom of Block A just a little bit, I need to work the fairing for Block D (maybe redesign the whole fairing), and I think i'm going to make the escape tower a ascetic feature, because of the immense power needed to carry the Soyuz off of the N1, and it takes special and different action groups for the fairing to be separated and firing the escape tower. But here is the picture of the escape tower in use before the fairing change.

snip

Looking good! Keep up the good work and can't wait to see it fully finished! Here's some rep for motivation :)

:wink:

EDIT: Already gave some, gonna have to wait until it allows it again sorry :(