To Hyperedit or not to Hyperedit?

GamerMitch

To Hyperedit or not to Hyperedit?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. To Hyperedit or not to Hyperedit?

• Yes! Screw the game over.
    • No! Don't touch it!

Since I got Hyperedit a couple days ago, I've been thinking: Should I screw with the planets and moons and put them in weird places or should I leave everything alone and explore the Kerbol system the way it should be? I realize there are other things to do with it but I really like the orbit editor. Note: I haven't gone to Moho yet, and I've only done a flyby of Dres. I haven't gone to Vall or Tylo, either. I have done a flyby of pol.

I'd do that in a separate save game, so if you break something (like overlapping planetary SoIs, which can cause all manor of wierdness), you don't ruin your current save.

I learned that the hard way once.

Jebs probably still floating there in eves soi somewhere in .21

I did it in a seperate save, and when I went to my main save, all the things I did in the other one were there. I had to guesstimate and put everything back.

Change of plans! Separate frickin install! Best to put as much distance between your normal, serious game, and your hyperedit world as you can.

The other alternative to that is do a separate install with Alternis Kerbol, which also re-arranges things, changes many planets, and otherwise screws over the kerbol system.

I think using hyperedit instead of getting somewhere legit is a bit cheaty, but just using it to mess around and send Kerbin Flying into the sun or put Duna in orbit around Eve and generally screwing around is all in good fun :P Just make sure to do it on a different install of the game, otherwise it can mash up your real save files pretty badly.

I think using hyperedit instead of getting somewhere legit is a bit cheaty, but just using it to mess around and send Kerbin Flying into the sun or put Duna in orbit around Eve and generally screwing around is all in good fun :P Just make sure to do it on a different install of the game, otherwise it can mash up your real save files pretty badly.

^This. Please cheat responsibly.

• 2 years later...

Hyperedit is a priceless tool on a game so prone to bugs... Or unfair mistakes... 

install it! 

But do not use it to cheat, use it to revert or correct bugs or unfair mistakes. Or... Have some fun with it creating a black hole equivalent on a planet lol :)

also time saving when test flying your vessels on other worlds instead of using sandbox mode

as a rule of thumb I NEVER used it to place a ship nearer a planet than I hadn't been before, using normal gameplay.

If it wasn't for Hyperedit, I don't think I'd ever made it back from Eve. Being able to move the "Eve Returner Mk-VI rev.3"  from Launchpad to low Eve orbit in a matter of moments was priceless.

Then again, it steals the thunder. I strongly recommend that the first time you do anything, you try it without hyperedit. There's lot of thrill to that approach.

I've only had hyperedit on my current 1.1.2 install and it is a lifesaver.  Being able to test craft without having to fly the vehicle all the way to its destination just to test saves so much time especially with the semi random crashes that I get while playing normally.  That being said, I do fly all the way when doing the real mission because that is where I get my fun and satisfaction from the game.  

Only other times where I might use hyperedit for an actual mission would be when using remote tech to build my network after I have proven to myself that I can get the craft there and I just want precision 

For me, HyperEdit is NOT NOT NOT for changing any orbital body in the game.
Lately there was a user which changed Kerbins orbit and things went really bad from that point on. So I don't mess with planets or moons.

I only use it to warp my crafts to other bodies if I feel I have to test them before doing the real thing.
Sometimes, the Kerbal Way™ is too worrisome for me to just stitch something together and send it to some planet I've never been before...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.