Custom hardware control/switch panel - simpit WIP

Mulbin

This is amazing.

I imagine the next step will be someone setting up a "rocket" in the backyard to put all this stuff in, with a ladder to climb into it.

I wonder if someone will build a full on simulator that simulates vibrations, G force, etc.

This looks great, I think you may've inspired me to do something similar.

Think I might get a 2120 and a 2040. I like the idea of having push buttons as well as toggle switches.

Doesn't feel right to cut my engines using a toggle switch :P

Using an arduino to give you feedback is a great idea.

actually, just found this on their website

http://www.desktopaviator.com/Products/Model_2095A/index.htm

which will allow me to add a throttle, and the rest of the controls can be push buttons

This looks great, I think you may've inspired me to do something similar.

Think I might get a 2120 and a 2040. I like the idea of having push buttons as well as toggle switches.

Doesn't feel right to cut my engines using a toggle switch :P

Using an arduino to give you feedback is a great idea.

actually, just found this on their website

http://www.desktopaviator.com/Products/Model_2095A/index.htm

which will allow me to add a throttle, and the rest of the controls can be push buttons

I've actually found the desktop aviator board to be a bit limited. It doesn't really "talk" to KSP so it can go out of sync very easily. When you quickload, or change ship, or foget to reset all of your switches between flights your controls will be out of sync with the board. I'd probably recomend waiting for Zitronen to finish his interface for Arduino control as this will allow ksp to read switch states directly and keep things more in sync (and arduinos are cheaper!).

I've actually found the desktop aviator board to be a bit limited. It doesn't really "talk" to KSP so it can go out of sync very easily. When you quickload, or change ship, or foget to reset all of your switches between flights your controls will be out of sync with the board. I'd probably recomend waiting for Zitronen to finish his interface for Arduino control as this will allow ksp to read switch states directly and keep things more in sync (and arduinos are cheaper!).

maybe, will see how it goes.

ready both threads all the way through so I understand what you mean but having a simple 'switch/button = button 1 on joystick' control seems less complicated and less likely to fail, but yes, as you said, as they are pulse switches not 'on/off' they can get out of sync.

as I said in the other thread, will have a play with my nano and see if that works...

Yes, the nice feature of the board I have is if you install it along side xpadder you can very easily program each switch to be any keyboard command or combination. I will likely have both arduino and pulse generators in my finished build.

Uhm, I wasn't understanding what your 'true' intention was. Now that I see/understand it... holy mother of kerbals... I wish I had the know how / time / money to build something like this. Talk about taking immersion to the next level!!!

Really impressive! Good luck with the baby! :D

Looking good Mulbin!

I was going to comment on the switch labeling, then saw your last post :wink:

In case any further inspiration / technique ideas are required:

Holy mother of Jeb.... The crazy thing is that you could manage to make something very similar to that and have it integrated into ksp! Very lucky kid.

This is amazing... I have a retro RCA 1802-based computer that I imagine I could program to launch specific rockets, provided I know the ascent path...

I'll need to look into using my Arduino to act as a go-between.

This will be fun.

Just as an aside...

Q: Why do modern aircraft/rockets still have mechanical switches?

A: Because computers/MFDs go wrong - a switch is either open, closed or physically broken, not just glitching.

(Genuine management consultation/training: "How many of you would fly in a 'plane programmed by your team?" - only one person says 'yes' - "If my team programmed it, it wouldn't move fast enough to crash")

Just as an aside...

Q: Why do modern aircraft/rockets still have mechanical switches?

A: Because computers/MFDs go wrong - a switch is either open, closed or physically broken, not just glitching.

(Genuine management consultation/training: "How many of you would fly in a 'plane programmed by your team?" - only one person says 'yes' - "If my team programmed it, it wouldn't move fast enough to crash")

That is some low-moraled team

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, I wish, I just bought myself an Oculus Rift and that cost me quite a bit XD

Back on topic, how long is this actually taking to make? I'm sure you're busy with other things, so I'm curious if the somewhat slow pace is due to that, the actual construction, or waiting on hardware.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.