Mulbin

Custom hardware / simpit repository. For people who take KSP a little too far.

579 posts in this topic

That's one reason i highly recommend the pogo pins. they can move a few millimeters up and down, and don't drift side to side, and will always keep pressure on the surface. You can also make sure the PC board is clean, and that no oxidization or residue from the epoxy is covering any of the tracks. Another issue, is the spring contact might stay in the track because of the ring of epoxy glue, but it might be riding up the side of the epoxy and then falling back to the copper when it gets too far. Apart from some very creative track shaping, I'm not sure. If that's what's happening to make you lose contact, then you'll need steeper side walls to prevent that from happening.

You can see that the grooves on the tracks for this NASA slip ring are at least as deep as the wire is think, and the cross section is squared, not sloped.

Spoiler

fdai4_300.jpg

How hard would it be for your 3D printer to print concentric rings onto the surface of a PC board? Is there a way to command it to feed when not running? Is there a way to command it to pause at a point in the printing process? Heck, maybe there's a way to simply just do it, but if you drilled a ring of small holes around your PC board (between he traces), and secured the PC board to the printing surface of your 3D printer, could you basically come up with a way to print a ring of plastic between each trace, and manually feed the plastic at a few key spots so it fills holes in the board, to secure the plastic ring to the board? Do that between each and every track? Is that possible?

Again, my solution would simply be pogo pins though.

You could try earphone connectors too though. A stereo connector with microphone support typically has 4 conductors, and the plug can spin inside the socket. 

Edited by richfiles

Hello. This question is for the moderators. What are the rules on posting items for sale or links to items that this thread in particular would be interested in?

Thanks!

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, JOHNMKNIGHT said:

Hello. This question is for the moderators. What are the rules on posting items for sale or links to items that this thread in particular would be interested in?

Thanks!

Hi John, any such links to a product or service would need to be approved by Squad, try asking @Badie or @UomoCapra:)

4 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

Hi John, any such links to a product or service would need to be approved by Squad, try asking @Badie or @UomoCapra:)

Thank you @sal_vager . I want to follow all the rules and play nice! :D