[1.2.0][WIP, PLUGIN][0.11.9.8][30/10/2016] KeepFit - Kerbal fitness degradation

timmers_uk

I actually am fiddling with a mod of similar concept; "Figures Fraught with Fragility" (working title). It's in the very early preliminary stages now, but it should get underway soon as .25 comes out, if all goes well. I want to see if they add any more Kerbonaught API with it before I break ground. For now, I am collecting info from previous incarnations of the 'health and sanity' mods people have attempted before. I will have to check out the source here soon as I get a chance :)

(Link to my omnibus dev thread in my sig)

This is interesting, but how long would a human (let a lone a kerbal) need to be exposed to g-forces to die? Because short term exposure to 8-15 Gs won't kill a human (nor would it pleasant) and I don't think you can keep a KSP vessel under such accelerations for a long time. IOW, I don't think death by G-forces should even be modeled.

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Just a quick update to let you know I'm putting a tiny chunk of effort back into this - no promises kind, and if work goes into crunch mode again I'll have to duck out.

Hopefully over the next few days I'll be able to :-

1. Bin the data saving code if my own, in favour of using Crewfiles to deal with that aspect (which I'm hoping will reduce the bug count a little)
  2. Add ksp-avc support, as I like being notified of new releases
  3. Push releases to kerblast ufo

I shan't be bothering with a CI build again as that killed my will to live, and in any case it's only by me pushing commits anyway (there's a recipe for doom).

I've belatedly made a new 0.25 based release, switched over to app launcher to reduce external dependancies, removed the packaged very old modulemanager, and (I think) fixed the mm configuration to add the keepfit part module to only those parts which can contain crew.

Ttfn

Timmers

Hey

Welcome back!

Thanks! No update today, work kept me busy, but I'm pleased to have got the unity profiler hooked in to my Dev install of ksp, and found that some of the dds loader + converter work going on elsewhere has really sped up my boot cycle. If I can get debugging working too via mono develop, then I'll be able to debug the annoying reseting fitness issue I'm currently seeing, then we'll be cooking - the other major issue I see is the fugly UI - I just don't do ui code, so I'll plug away at it but it's a lot less painful the quicker it is to achieve a boot cycle.

Timmers

Edited by timmers_uk
Thanks autocor rectangular - I said dds not dad's

Quick update

0.2.0.4 should be up now.

Fixed the fugly applauncher icon, fixed the scenes in which fitness is updated, fixed the syntax error in the modulemanager config, and fixed the fugly logspam in debug build.

See first post for download link,

Timmers

It will be nice to have some simple documentation - to have an ability to add KeepFit modules to new parts=)

I like your mod very much - it adds a new aspect to carry about and now the centrifuge is not just another useless part=)

It will be nice to have some simple documentation - to have an ability to add KeepFit modules to new parts=)

I like your mod very much - it adds a new aspect to carry about and now the centrifuge is not just another useless part=)

Documentation ... yeah I heard that word once, must go look it up some time.

Probably will add something to the initial post, but its really just a case of creating a modulemanager config to apply the module to your chosen part.

>It simplifies the calculations for available ActivityLevel on board ship too, if I can determine a single common available ActivityLevel for all crewMembers and treat it like they all get the same opportunity to take their eye out with a bungee, and not just the guy in the crew can.

That's a good idea - I agree that moving Kerbals from one place to another in a ship for exercise is taking it just a step too far.

Great to see this alive again :)

Thanks. Pleased to be backing the game. I'm currently trying to pursue why the UI textures aren't showing on my main game (with ATM maybe thats related) but do show on my test install, and also a possible fitness reset bug, which is resetting fitness levels back to default.

T

Edited by timmers_uk
grammar

Hi,

0.2.0.5 is now up!

I've reworked the the UI somewhat so it shouldn't be quite so teeth-grinding now. I've also fix issues when using DDSLoader and DDS4KSP to convert images to DDS. I'm now at a point where I suspect the main functionality is now pretty solid, having used KeepFit through my latest career save and not had the rage with it (apart from a high Gee re-entry with very unfit Kerbals - RIP Bill K.

Timmers

p.s. Oh ... I'm wondering if anyone could try this and let me know if they think its due for moving to release and off of development - I'm kindof hesitant to take the plunge, and would like some feedback first.

And few more ideas =)

First one - do you know about this mod? I think it`s very cool too and you can coo somehow.

Second one - Interstellar warp drive integration (and that's maybe how you can coo with DeepFreeze). But I'm not sure about that - looks like this engine don't accelerate vehicle so it shouldn't affect kerbanaut's health.

ya that would be interesting to have,starting to blackout from reaching your g limit.

i tried it out yesterday and it's cool how it keeps tabs on individual kerbals and their stats, love to see the gravity part of this expanded so say artificial gravity and other things to keep fit in space.

looks very promising and has potential love to see how it terns out.

Can you make some sort of g-force blackout? It will be much more interesting to fly planes with it! G-limit of each kerbanaut and duration of blackout can depend of feet level

I'd have to get someone who does more game-side visuals coding involved in order to know where to start with that one, as I'm a server coder by trade, and don't even know where I'd start on that one... I agree though, that it would be nice - if I did it, I'd be inclined to do black and redout too :D

And few more ideas =)

First one - do you know about this mod? I think it`s very cool too and you can coo somehow.

Second one - Interstellar warp drive integration (and that's maybe how you can coo with DeepFreeze). But I'm not sure about that - looks like this engine don't accelerate vehicle so it shouldn't affect kerbanaut's health.

I'm aware of it but haven't used it - I'm a bit hesitant to make too many links to other mods in KeepFit, and I'd have to look into whether there's a way to create a soft-dependency on DeepFreeze - could be I'd do it the other way around and create an API to KeepFit, and allow DeepFreeze to modify the state of crew in deep freeze to stop them degrading or anything.

Interstellar warp AFAIK does low level orbit manipulations rather than manipulations in physics land, so doesn't affect KeepFit.

Edited by timmers_uk

ya that would be interesting to have,starting to blackout from reaching your g limit.

i tried it out yesterday and it's cool how it keeps tabs on individual kerbals and their stats, love to see the gravity part of this expanded so say artificial gravity and other things to keep fit in space.

looks very promising and has potential love to see how it terns out.

Thanks for taking a look at it. On a simple UI front I think I'm going to move the launcher bar window back to being a movable window as it being stuck in a single location is driving me nuts right now, whereas I'm happier with mods where I can choose where they popup.

Anyone can add MM configs to add the KeepFit partmodule to setup a particular part to have a good (or bad activity level) - by default all things are cramped. In future if I can work out how to integrate it nicely, I could add conditionals so that (for instance) porkjet's spinng hab only has a good fitness level when its spinning, or RoverDude's expandable modules only count when expanded.

On my 'roadmap' such as it is, in addition to working out some APIs for allowing integration with other things, I was thinking of :-

1. Further UI tightening - make the per-kerbal displays closer to being 1 line per kerbal - be interesting to know if people want the expanded views though - if so, I'll either leave them as is, or make it an option

2. ConnectedLivingSpace integration - should would take a bit of a rework to allow differentiating between different areas on a ship, and having the activityLevel be determined not by the best on the whole ship, but the best in the bit of the ship each crewmember can get to.

3. Optimization pass - I might be able to avoid KeepFit scanning all vessels periodically by using more event callbacks to track vessels/crewmembers.

4. API - add an API to allow other components to modify activityLevels of either vessels (or vessel areas) or kerbals, or alternatively use other mod APIs to integrate external things into KeepFit.

5. Blackout/redout (but I'd need some other competent coder to show me how to black/red out the view and do it without breaking the rest of the game :D (i.e. not blackout the pause menu/map view/non-flight scenes).

I'm always open to suggestions though.

Timmers

I'd rather have black/red out affect the Kerbal's ability to control the ship rather than any changes to the screen unless using IVA. Visual depiction of these really don't fit with the standard outside view.

If I did anything like that it'd always be switchable on an option anyway, for sure.

This is a fascinating concept! I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but I hope you won't mind my telling you my first thoughts.

1) I think that some overall fitness mechanic would be very useful. In the future, it could easily be expanded to have more effects in different situations, and more situations affect it. Certainly, being a Badass should provide some bonus.

2) If we assume the lander cans were meant to stand in for the US and Soviet lunar lander capsules, then they don't have acceleration couches. Should make it a lot easier to die under high acceleration...

3) Radiation could also affect fitness.

4) Zero G is really bad for you; short of a rotating centrifuge, I don't think that "exercising" should be possible. The very long periods of exercise on long duration flights really just keep the astronauts from deteriorating too much. Two hours a day on a treadmill isn't much effort compared to walking around under gravity.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.