NorthWood - Small ships and individual transport [NEW: SURGE I seaplane++]

muskeg

Sneak preview of a space plane I\'m building right now. It uses the same kerbal commander as the t-rex rocket chair. The cockpit-ball pops out of the plane to become a small RCS-propelled exploration/survival vehicle. The ball cover can also pop out to show the kerbal commander. No real texture yet but it flies relatively good.

I have control surfaces issues and some more testing to do but I hope I can finish it soon:

surge-preview.jpg

to me thats a ejections eat 8)

NorthWood is happy to announce today the release of the SURGE plane, a new individual vehicle that will let you reach new heights. Directly from our labs to yours, our latest sea/space hybrid plane includes an individual ball explorer ship (that we often call the HI-ball, from the RCS thrusters control buttons) to go where bigger ships can\'t.

poster.jpg

The SURGE plane operates like regular planes but also provides limited VTL capabilities. Using RCS thrusters, the plane can hover over water to take-off safely. The thrusters also work as efficient aerobrakes, a most useful feature during tight landings. Once landed, or in case of incidents, just pop-out the HI-ball and start exploring your surroundings. The HI-ball should provide a pleasing experience in any environments: water, mun or Kerbin\'s mountains,...

Once you\'re ready, pop the cover of the ball and see the world with your own eyes! (and prepare to die alone as there\'s no way back)

The plane is not complicated to build but is tricky sometimes so it is recommended to use the provided .craft file and disassemble from there if necessary.

Enjoy!

Screenshots:

preview.png

Included in this pack:

• [li]Parts:

• [li]NW_kerbal-command[/li]
      [li]NW_surge_aileron[/li]
      [li]NW_surge_ballcoupler[/li]
      [li]NW_surge_ballRCStank[/li]
      [li]NW_surge_ballRCSthrust[/li]
      [li]NW_surge_engine[/li]
      [li]NW_surge_fuselage[/li]
      [li]NW_surge_popball[/li]
      [li]NW_surge_sasball[/li]
      [li]NW_surge_stacker[/li]
      [li]NW_surge_VTLRCSthrust[/li]

[/li]

[li]Ships:

• [li]SURGE I.craft[/li]

[/li]

** NOTE: The Kerbal command pod included in this pack will/should replace the Kerbal command pod from the T-REX rocket seat pack. BOTH ships use the same commander. The T-REX\'s archive has been updated to contain the exact same commander. **

Download: northwood_surge_plane_I.zip

I\'ve tried the Surge. She flies well, she\'s very stable and easy to handle. Great work!

Thanks, I spent quite some time trying to balance it correctly. Weight shifts as fuel burns so it\'s never 100% stable but adjusting the throttle helps. I\'m flying it with a PS2 controller but I think it\'s not working too bad with the keyboard. Somehow a 'beginner' plane.

It\'s a 'slow' flyer, almost a powered glider so it doesn\'t need much power to glide for a long time. For landing, I like to just toggle on the SAS modules in the correct flare position and let it glide down. I wish there were more visual aids to find the airstrip and/or an ILS of some sort to help with glide slope, etc.

The surge has ejection right :-\

Semi-ejection. The whole cockpit actually ejects from the plane, carrying RCS thrusters for EVA, Reentry and landing. The kerbal stays in his seat but you can pop the 'semi-transparent' dome as a last rocket stage.

popball.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.