[1.1.x] CoolRockets! Cryo and Launch Particle FX

sarbian

Do you like it?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• No. It slows down my machine at launch. I need my CPU cycles elsewhere.
    • No. I don't like the engine effects.
    • No. I don't like the tank effects.
    • Yes. I especially like the engine effects.
    • Yes. I especially like the tank effects.
    • Yes. It even runs smoothly.
    • What is this all about?
    • I'd like to use this in my mod.
    • I'd like to contribute somehow.

As far as I can tell, it toggles the effects on and off, so that you can designate tanks that don't have ice falling off them for your hypergolic upper stage tanks.

You can also toggle the effects in the VAB/SPH so you can see what they will look like. Also I don't believe the toggles serve any function outside the VAB/SPH.

oh yeah, looks great. i just wait for the kw engines.

btw the ice effects for stretchy tanks (stretchySRB) would be cool too ;)

That would be cool, but presents a problem since stretchy tanks are inherently almost any size the ice effects will end up either in the tank or far outside it. Somebody more familiar with the plugin would have to investigate that.

You can also toggle the effects in the VAB/SPH so you can see what they will look like. Also I don't believe the toggles serve any function outside the VAB/SPH.

That would be cool, but presents a problem since stretchy tanks are inherently almost any size the ice effects will end up either in the tank or far outside it. Somebody more familiar with the plugin would have to investigate that.

If stretchy tanks would implement a function that gives me the radius of the tank I could query it.

I wonder if it's possible to enable ice buildup over time?

Like when the Soyuz is rolled out, it's khaki painted but the fuel tanks gets white over time at the launchpad because of ice buildup.

And how longer the rocket stand out and gets launched, the more "chunks of ice" will fall off during flight until the tank is clear of ice.

Edited by MK3424

A test of effects for KW rocketry engines.

Comments welcome, once all engines are done I'll upload the cfg somewhere.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/208/qedr.png

yey im waiting for this

I would love to use this now but I mostly use engines and tanks from KW rocketry

Edited by lyndonguitar

Another effects i want to see in the game is SRBs separating with flames still on them like the picture below.. but i guess it can be solved by activating the stage prematurely when the tank is near empty though

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/STS-1_The_Shuttle's_Solid_Rocket_Boosters_break_away_from_Columbia's_External_Tank.jpg

This can be done by designing a special thrust curve for the booster so that it keeps at a very low level for the last several seconds, and you can attach some small separatron boosters to aid its gentle turn.

How would I make a Module Manager config to include ALL engines and tanks (From a wide range of mods) so that I can enjoy the effects in my No-stock game. (I deleted all the stock parts)

You would want to go into the CoolRockets folder in your install, copy one of the .cfg files (stock.cfg is probably best) and modify all the stock.cfg in the NEW file (the copy of the orig one) to conform with all the proper engines and tanks you have installed. This will likely require you to go into the other .cfg (for the parts) to find out the name they were coded as. Edit the stock.cfg file in the CoolRockets install to see what you're in for.

I plan to try to get this working for AIES Aerospace tanks and engines, but have not had enough time to dig in as of yet.

IF you do this, it might also be advisable to separate out all the different MOD packs into different .cfg files (something like KW_Rocketry_CoolRockets.cfg, AIES_Aerospace_CoolRockets.cfg, B9_CoolRockets.cfg, etc...). It would make it easier for anyone else who'd like to use one of your specific configs (if you plan on making them available for the community).

Hi I like this mod but the Laztek MM file is weird it seperates the rocket with big gaps was it made before he updated the mod to .23 also I would love a config for the new KSO shuttle

Ah, yeah now I realize that would happen. The LazTek file is for the Realism Overhaul rescale of the SpaceX pack (which can be found in my sig). I guess the way this mod works, it requires a model node in the coolrockets config for each part which at the moment is set for rescaled SpaceX rockets, hence the weird sizes.

You would want to go into the CoolRockets folder in your install, copy one of the .cfg files (stock.cfg is probably best) and modify all the stock.cfg in the NEW file (the copy of the orig one) to conform with all the proper engines and tanks you have installed. This will likely require you to go into the other .cfg (for the parts) to find out the name they were coded as. Edit the stock.cfg file in the CoolRockets install to see what you're in for.

I plan to try to get this working for AIES Aerospace tanks and engines, but have not had enough time to dig in as of yet.

IF you do this, it might also be advisable to separate out all the different MOD packs into different .cfg files (something like KW_Rocketry_CoolRockets.cfg, AIES_Aerospace_CoolRockets.cfg, B9_CoolRockets.cfg, etc...). It would make it easier for anyone else who'd like to use one of your specific configs (if you plan on making them available for the community).

Oh my...That's more work than I thought it was. NEW PROJECT! The list of mods I have is extensive, so if I do it and get it done it will have all of the major mods in it. (B9, KW, NP to name a few)

Oh my...That's more work than I thought it was. NEW PROJECT! The list of mods I have is extensive, so if I do it and get it done it will have all of the major mods in it. (B9, KW, NP to name a few)

Exactly! That is why I haven't started my work on AIES Aerospace stuff as of yet. Extensive list of tanks and engines + full-time job + kids = NO TIME!!!

Ah, yeah now I realize that would happen. The LazTek file is for the Realism Overhaul rescale of the SpaceX pack (which can be found in my sig). I guess the way this mod works, it requires a model node in the coolrockets config for each part which at the moment is set for rescaled SpaceX rockets, hence the weird sizes.

Any chance you could do a normal Kerbal one for Laztek or tell me what needs to be changed please

Another effects i want to see in the game is SRBs separating with flames still on them like the picture below.. but i guess it can be solved by activating the stage prematurely when the tank is near empty though

Here's an idea, you could set them up as multi-mode engines, with the second mode (essentially the fumes/residual burnoff) kicking in once the solid propellant runs out (you would need to define a resource for it)

Give the second mode weaker/slower orange flames and (almost) no thrust

This would let you cut them away once the main burn is done while they were still guttering in the second residual mode

Honestly this sounds neat and now I'm going to try this once I get home from work.... in like nine hours T_T

Any chance you could do a normal Kerbal one for Laztek or tell me what needs to be changed please

I gave it a shot, but there is some weird things going on here. Some strange conflicts are happening causing nodes and sizes to be all over the place. Either I've forgotten to remove a mod that is still modifying the LazTek stuff or I don't know what I'm doing :confused:. In other words, I don't know how to adapt this to kerbal scale, I'm sorry.

thats cool I have no idea either would be nice if there was a little gui (HINT) you could pop open check the boxes you want for which engines, tanks and effects and it spits out a cfg which you put in the mods gamedata folder

Edited by Virtualgenius

I made these configs for three of the KW engines - maybe someone can use them as a starting point for a proper KW configuration file.

@PART[KW1mengineWildCatV]
{
MODEL
{
model = CoolRockets/FX/cryo-1m/model
position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
rotation = 0, 0, 0
parent = thrustTransform
}

MODULE
{
name = KM_PreLaunchEffect
effectName = PreLaunchEffectEngine1
checkBottomNode = false

width = 0
height = 12
xOffset = 0
yOffset = -0.5
zOffset = 0
numP = 30
speedX = 0
speedY = -0.3
speedZ = 0
size = 1.5
}
}

@PART[KW2mengineMaverickV]
{
MODEL
{
position = 0, 0, 0
scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
rotation = 0, 0, 0
parent = thrustTransform
}

MODULE
{
checkBottomNode = false
width = 0.2
height = 10
xOffset = 0
yOffset = -1.5
zOffset = 0
numP = 30
speedX = 0
speedY = -0.2
speedZ = 0
size = 1.5
}
}

@PART[KW3mengineTitanT1]
{
MODEL
{
position = 0, 0, 0
scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
rotation = 0, 0, 0
parent = thrustTransform
}

MODULE
{
checkBottomNode = false
width = 0.2
height = 10
xOffset = 0
yOffset = -1.4
zOffset = 0
numP = 30
speedX = 0
speedY = -0.2
speedZ = 0
size = 1.5
}
}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.