Kerbal Construction Time/StageRecovery Dev Thread

magico13

3 minutes ago, magico13 said:

ScrapYard may actually result in an interesting situation where if you use the test part and then recover it, you can then use those parts again even if they're locked. You could abuse that by building a vessel that's just a bunch of the test parts, but once you complete the contract (or in this case you start researching the node) you'll have access to a finite supply of those parts. Though KCT right now would let you have an infinite number of new parts. A solution might be to give you 5 or so test parts into your inventory and you can only use test parts as long as you're using one of those inventory parts. If you try to use more than you have, you can't build the vessel at all, and if you accidentally destroy them all then you have to wait until you fully unlock the node before you can do the contract.

This would be cool

33 minutes ago, Errol said:

I use the part unlock costs in ky careers..

Well, do you think the current method of node unlock times is ok for you, or would you rather see nodes unlock instantly but individual parts take time? Or some combination of the two?

I just realized I should probably add a variable for the node unlock times that's just the number of parts that would be unlocked, in case people wanted the times to be based on that.

I think giving the option to make both configurable would be best. I would personally likely play with both. Making node unlock time be dynamically dependant on the number of parts within is an interesting idea, i would definitely give that a try. Opens up some interesting ideas about tech tree progression/balance.

Edited by Errol

I definitely like the current implementation best, especially when you get into mods that add a lot of parts to certain nodes - they simply aren't balanced against making unlock times dependant on the number of parts in the node.

2 hours ago, theonegalen said:

I definitely like the current implementation best, especially when you get into mods that add a lot of parts to certain nodes - they simply aren't balanced against making unlock times dependant on the number of parts in the node.

Sorry, that wasn't the implementation in question, that was just an extra thought I had since some people might want to slightly modify times based on the number of parts (in addition to some base time for instance). The thing in question right now is whether it's worthwhile to have individual parts take time to unlock when playing with part purchases enabled. In a way that makes the time dependent on the number of parts in the node (since you'd have to take time to unlock them all), but with default KCT you can work on an unlimited number of nodes at once.

These are all optional ideas btw, stuff that would be added as options on top of the defaults. The part unlock times would only make sense if part unlock costs are on. That would be a new formula with variables like part cost, part mass, unlock cost, and base node science cost. Maybe I'd define a short time by default just to show it's an option, but I might leave it off by default and just offer a different Preset.

I would use this option, personally when I unlock a new node in career mode it's slightly disorienting having so many new parts available immediately (if paid for) I like my progression to be very slow and laser targeted towards what I'm trying to achieve.

2 hours ago, PhoenixSpaceIndustries said:

Apologies for my confusion, but could I clarify that the ScrapYard mod replaces the old 'scrap' feature in KCT, and that SimuLite replaces the simulation option? 

Close. ScrapYard replaces the part inventory (recovered parts make builds faster) and KRASH replaces simulations. SimuLite is/was a simulation mod I started working on but I haven't gotten a chance to finish it.

@magico13 there's a post in KCT main thread saying it works fine in 1.3. Now, I understand that "working fine" and "release quality" aren't even nearly the same, so I wonder: what sorts of rough edges do you still wish to sand off before calling this a release? (I don't mind the waiting, I'm just curious as to what kind of further polish I'm to expect here :)

52 minutes ago, monstah said:

@magico13 there's a post in KCT main thread saying it works fine in 1.3. Now, I understand that "working fine" and "release quality" aren't even nearly the same, so I wonder: what sorts of rough edges do you still wish to sand off before calling this a release? (I don't mind the waiting, I'm just curious as to what kind of further polish I'm to expect here :)

The main thing right now is that ScrapYard won't work right in all cases. Specifically when editing a vessel or recovering one to storage, it straight up will do the wrong thing, meaning the inventory will get out of sync with what it should be and build times might be a bit funky. After I fix that I might just release it, then work on other bug fixes and features. I also want to work on ScrapYard's UI at some point, but might put that off until after I release KCT.

So I'm still testing it, but the latest builds of ScrapYard (#60) and KCT (#30) should work together better than before. Recovering things to storage and editing existing vessels should behave better now. For instance, if you edit a ship that has inventory parts on it, it'll still have those parts assigned while editing and if you remove any they should end up back in the inventory. I need to still test the overall behavior of KCT with the "override funds" option of ScrapYard since there may be a few cases of double charging or not charging at all for some parts.

I have migrated my carrer game to KSP 1.2.2 from 1.1.3, and I'm having a strage problem with KCT.

I get a lot, and I mean a LOT of messaged in the log file. Probably so many that the game slows to a crawl...

KCT version 1.3.5.0

Log files that apper non-stop:

[LOG 20:31:03.983] [KCT] Printing crewVars data
[LOG 20:31:03.983] [KCT] M:65.8937759399414
[LOG 20:31:03.984] [KCT] m:8.34598159790039
[LOG 20:31:03.985] [KCT] C:37695.5546875
[LOG 20:31:03.985] [KCT] c:28843.828125
[LOG 20:31:03.986] [KCT] VAB:1
[LOG 20:31:03.986] [KCT] BP:48924.8901327644
[LOG 20:31:03.987] [KCT] L:2
[LOG 20:31:03.987] [KCT] EL:2
[LOG 20:31:03.988] [KCT] O:1
[LOG 20:31:03.988] [KCT] E:1728
[LOG 20:31:03.989] [KCT] X:345600
[LOG 20:31:03.989] [KCT] RE:0
[LOG 20:31:03.990] [KCT] S:0.25
[LOG 20:31:03.990] [KCT] PiK:2
[LOG 20:31:03.991] [KCT] PiL:6
[LOG 20:31:03.991] [KCT] EnK:2
[LOG 20:31:03.992] [KCT] EnL:6
[LOG 20:31:03.992] [KCT] ScK:2
[LOG 20:31:03.993] [KCT] ScL:6
[LOG 20:31:03.993] [KCT] TPiK:6
[LOG 20:31:03.994] [KCT] TPiL:18
[LOG 20:31:03.994] [KCT] TEnK:6
[LOG 20:31:03.995] [KCT] TEnL:18
[LOG 20:31:03.995] [KCT] TScK:6
[LOG 20:31:03.996] [KCT] TScL:18

Is this a known problem? I haven't seen it on the forum when I searched for it...

I also have ScrapYard on version: 51.0.9.4

Edited: Perhaps it's the incompatibility of MagiCore module between those two. Once ScrapYard was removed it went back to normal - or rather more normal. Spamming stopped, however I still see too many of those "logs".

Edited by Arivald Ha'gel

It's due to some logging I added to diagnose a bug someone was having that I've since removed from the 1.3 builds. I'm not officially supporting 1.2.2 anymore, but may make a build with that logging disabled.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.