Making high contrast nav ball!

kBob

To be fair, it seems like I'm unable to get TextureReplacer to pick up any texture for the navball at all, regardless of the .png/.dds file I put there.

Weird. Thanks for the reply anyway, @Red Iron Crown!

UPDATE: turns out that uninstalling TextureReplacer, deleting manually its directory, and re-installing worked ;)

Edited by curson
update

• 2 weeks later...

Some great Navball textures here.  Thanks to all for making them available.
A related Navball question:  Is there any way to change the thickness, shape or color of the horizon level indicator ---v--- or is that hardcoded?

• 3 weeks later...

This mod has worked flawlessly for me in every version of KSP from 0.90 to 1.0.5...

I've even used a couple of the textures here, in RPM, to change the navball in the RPM monitor view... (this would be the "glass cockpit" navball, NOT the "traditional" IVA navball...This mod changes the "traditional" IVA navball by itself...)

There may be conflicts with other mods, tho, that are giving people issues...

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, silvereagle2061 said:

OK I'm a bit new to this, so how do you chance the texture? There's nothing to click on the screen during flight play so I don't really know how to change it up.

1. Unzip into KSP root dir
  2. Run the game. Enter flight scene with something
  3. The plugin will save the default NavBall texture to disk at (KSP_Root)/GameData/NavBallTextureExport/navball.png
  4. Exit KSP. Modify the navball.png inside above directory as you wish
  5. From now on, whenever you enter the flight scene, that texture will overwrite the default version
  6. To reset to default, simply uninstall the plugin. To get a fresh copy of the default texture, delete or rename navball.png in the plugin's directory

On 9.12.2015 at 5:01 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

I've been using a texture that @eggrobin was kind enough to make, after posting a few screenshots I've received a few PMs asking for it so I figure I'll share it here:

Thx for mentioning it, that's gonna be my new navball. Ofc even more thanks to  @eggrobin for makingit! <3

Just going on speculation here, is it possible for some talented modder to replace the navball symbols (prograde etc), to make them easier readable as well? E.g. thinner and less less smooth edges, mb more high res if helpful.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Texture Replacer has been updated for 1.1, you could use that to replace the navball texture.

I took a look at that but I couldn't see how to make it happen. Is it difficult to do?

7 minutes ago, Foxster said:

I took a look at that but I couldn't see how to make it happen. Is it difficult to do?

I haven't tested it on 1.1 yet, but if it works the same as previously you just copy your navball texture into Gamedata/TextureReplacer/Default and rename it HUDNavBall.png.

42 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I haven't tested it on 1.1 yet, but if it works the same as previously you just copy your navball texture into Gamedata/TextureReplacer/Default and rename it HUDNavBall.png.

Umm, doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure the stock texture is called that anymore or is in the same place. I'll need to do some more digging. 

3 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Texture Replacer has been updated for 1.1, you could use that to replace the navball texture.

I have considered that several times before... And it looks like a really nice mod... however, TR does SOOO much other stuff (actually, there are many mods that do some of them), and all I really want is ONE feature that it does: NavBall texture... WOuld be nice to have a simple mod that does that, instead of having to trim and configure 95% out of another mod...

@xEvilReeperx Any chance you might continue development on this? Pretty pleeze... :)

On ‎23‎.‎04‎.‎2016 at 5:44 PM, Stone Blue said:

I have considered that several times before... And it looks like a really nice mod... however, TR does SOOO much other stuff (actually, there are many mods that do some of them), and all I really want is ONE feature that it does: NavBall texture... WOuld be nice to have a simple mod that does that, instead of having to trim and configure 95% out of another mod...

@xEvilReeperx Any chance you might continue development on this? Pretty pleeze... :)

I fiddled around with source for a weekend, and so far it was not working. Getting this back to work seems to be a tougher task.

• 4 weeks later...

As you all probably know the 1.1 version seems to have broken NavBall textures in both this add-on and in Texture Replacer, I just added a comment in the TR forum to see if there is any indication of if or when this might be fixable.  If I don't get any replies I might take a look at it myself though don't hold your breath my c# skills are mostly in translating c# code into Pascal ;). 

TBH I'd have thought they would have adobted an easier to read NavBall into the program by now, oh well guess there are other priorities.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:20 AM, xEvilReeperx said:

I found some time this morning to fix it. It works a little differently now so I've updated the instructions on the first page. Let me know if there are any problems

So great it works again and you improved it!  Many thanks.

For people who might need step by step instructions on how to use this mod I have put them in my original post (#1).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.