Making high contrast nav ball!

kBob

Are you sure you got the very latest version? I didn't notice the error when I posted it the first time, took down the download temporarily and replaced it with a new version (same zip name). The currently listed ivaFixed download is the fixed version

Now if I could just find where all the calls and structures are documented, is most of this coming out of Unity? I guess I need to install Unity and C# and start playing around...got sidetracked a bit playing with new navball colors and starting to teach myself blender.

Yes, mostly Unity. The online documentation is pretty good

Double checked I got it straight from the link and it has -ivafix appended to the file name. But it's the same size 6656 as the old one so could you have zipped the wrong file when you replaced it?

I re-downloaded same thing.

5thHorseman said:
I was thinking on similar lines and your post made me try my idea, and I'm pretty happy with it so thanks for the prod :)

Here's the final version that I'm going to keep for a while and see if I like it:

I really liked the format of your navball, but I naturally had to do things my way:

6sBuixx.png

CZAAomb.png

This is a great mod, thanks xEvilReeperx!

I really liked the format of your navball, but I naturally had to do things my way:

http://i.imgur.com/6sBuixx.png

http://i.imgur.com/CZAAomb.png

This is a great mod, thanks xEvilReeperx!

I've been watching this thread with interest, and so far I'm liking yours the best. Great contrast, not a lot of clutter, easily readable numbers, and most importantly the directional pips (I have them all with Enhanced NavBall) will stand out well against both colors.

Now if only someone whipped up a clearer analog logrithmic altimeter or vertical rate of change gauge... :)

most importantly the directional pips (I have them all with Enhanced NavBall) will stand out well against both colors.

I haven't tried it on my play install where I have that mod installed (that screenshot is from my pared-down modding install) but I think you're probably right. The node indicator is about the only thing I'd be worried about.

If you switch to a vessel with no crew it reverts to default navball. Switching back to a crewed vessel will re-enable the custom texture in the flight scene but not in the IVA view.

Here is a log where I switch from a crewed vessel to another crewed vessel, then to a probe, then back to crewed vessel.

If you switch to a vessel with no crew it reverts to default navball. Switching back to a crewed vessel will re-enable the custom texture in the flight scene but not in the IVA view.

Thanks for the report. The log was very helpful. Download has been updated.

Edited by xEvilReeperx
Update

I think I must be doing the installation wrong. I'm not getting any output to the TextureExport folder and it doesn't seem to do anything if I put a navball.png file in there myself. Any thoughts?

Does the log show any errors? Specifically any of the following:

• Failed to locate NavBall GameObject. NavBallTextureExport might be out of date!
  • Failed to import new navball texture, even though it appears to exist!
  • an exception right after "Did not find custom NavBall texture; creating a copy of the default"

Did you rename the folder? Currently the mod looks for a folder named "NavBallTextureExport" in (KSP_Root)/GameData/. I'll fix that in the next release; there's really no reason why you shouldn't be able to rename it if you'd like.

I was thinking of modifying it so that it would be possible to switch Navballs on the fly, but at what point does the game load the texture? If it only does it at startup there's no point, but if it reloads it say before launch this should be possible based on my currently limited knowledge (just started reading the docs :)

Also thanks for making your source readable and well commented it's a big help!

The game normally loads all the textures it can find when it starts but there isn't any reason why you couldn't load a new one afterwards (see Resources.Load (closer inspection indicates WWW or Texture2D.LoadImage would be more likely)in unity's online docs) if you have a use case for it

Edited by xEvilReeperx

Where is the file for the NavBall texture in the stock game? The GUI one, not IVA. I cannot seem to find it.

It's embedded somewhere in KSP's resources, out of reach under normal circumstances. If you want a fresh copy to edit yourself, install this plugin and enter the flight scene. A copy of the original texture will be made for you in the plugin's directory provided there is no navball.png there already.

Does the log show any errors? Specifically any of the following:

• Failed to locate NavBall GameObject. NavBallTextureExport might be out of date!
  • Failed to import new navball texture, even though it appears to exist!
  • an exception right after "Did not find custom NavBall texture; creating a copy of the default"

Did you rename the folder? Currently the mod looks for a folder named "NavBallTextureExport" in (KSP_Root)/GameData/. I'll fix that in the next release; there's really no reason why you shouldn't be able to rename it if you'd like.

First of all I should mention I'm using KSP Mod Admin to manage my addons and I think that is the culprit because the only thing odd in the log is this:

[LOG 22:04:18.872] Did not find custom NavBall texture; creating a copy of the default

[EXC 22:04:18.881] IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP MOD Admin\1.3.11\KSPModAdmin\GameData\NavBallTextureExport\navball.png".

Notice the directory which does not exists. Perhaps this fact that the log file itself is actually placed in the KSPModAdmin folder also.

When I made a folder there and put a Navball.png file in it the log gave this error:

[ERR 22:44:19.809] Failed to import new navball texture, even though it appears to exist!

I've also tried bypassing the KSPModAdmin process and installing the files to the correct KSP GameData folder myself, but I get the same message.

[ERR 22:44:19.809] Failed to import new navball texture, even though it appears to exist!

Edited by Godit
More data

Immo stock navball style and configuration is better for multi-purposes, but if someone is really interested in emulate the Apollo missions, I've found the best texture possible here: http://www.calsoft.de/~christian/AGC/

http://i.imgur.com/KzNlOWT.png

You're welcome. :wink:

Ooo, gimbal lock for the first few generations of craft instrumentation would be a neat kind of "extra-hard-mode" mod.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.