[0.24] Distant Object Enhancement 1.3.1 - Planets/satellites in the night sky! (7/29)

Rubber Ducky

This mod will no longer be updated by myself, as I am leaving indefinitely and will be out of contact.

The lovely rbray89 has agreed to take over this mod when he has some spare time in a few months.

Until then, MOARdV is maintaining the mod.

Anyways, happy trails, everybody!

----

i6muyiI.png

Distant Object Enhancement is a visual enhancement mod that makes objects realistically visible over large distances.

BASIC FEATURES

• Flare effects for planets and nearby satellites, properly calculated by size, distances, phase angle, etc.
  • Flare effects are colored for each planet, which makes for easy identification.
  • On-rails vessels up to 750km away are visually rendered (no intensive physics calculations necessary)
  • Background stars dim when looking at the bright surface of a nearby planet, just like in real life!
  • If you have blizzy78's Toolbar plugin, a settings window is available with several options to improve performance or tweak visuals.
  • Full compatibility with custom planet mods -- with flare color definitions included for Real Solar System, PlanetFactory, and Alternis Kerbol.

IMAGES

Of course, it looks much better in action

8090EYq.png

mYIBwXw.png

Image taken with the CactEye telescope mod, an extension of Hullcam.

VYMvQjd.png

Yc16ybb.png

NOTES!

• The plugin will not work without Toolbar installed! Toolbar will be fully optional in a later update.
  • This plugin doesn't increase the true rendering distance (it's still ~2.5km) -- it just draws models in place of where the ships should be. No physics are calculated on distant vessels (for obvious performance reasons), so for instance, you couldn't watch satellites deorbit from the ground. You'd have to find a plugin that raises the threshold at which KSP physically loads ships, like Lazor System.
  • Like in real life, satellite passes are best seen shortly before sunrise or shortly after sunset.
  • Cameras in separate windows will display flares and dim the background improperly.
    • This is only an aesthetic incompatibility!
    • If this is actually a problem (like with the Tarsier Telescope), disable flares in the settings menu!

[*]If you experience vessel disassembly or other odd things, disable vessel rendering in the settings menu! This feature should be more stable than in previous releases.

Major thanks to WillHop and a__gun for their help in testing new releases!

Download Distant Object Enhancement v1.3.1 (32KB, Box.com)

v1.3.1 is a patch provided by MOARdV!

Last updated 7/29/2014 (KSP v0.24.2)

Source Code -- Change Log

Alternate download link 1 (MediaFire)

Alternate download link 2 (Google Drive)

INSTALLATION

• Merge the given GameData folder with KSP's GameData folder
  • In addition, if you are using a custom planet mod:
    • Extract the relevant "DistantObject" folder inside "Alternate Planet Color Configs"
    • If you can't find a color config for your planet mod, flares will still render properly, but they will be completely white. Distant Object Enhancement should work with all custom planet mods.

License:

88x31.png

Edited by NathanKell
v1.3.1; license change (NK edit on close)

Possible bug, since I installed this, I have been randomly losing my ability to timewarp or access my menu. has anyone else seen this behavior? It might be a mod conflict, cause I'm running a lot of mods?

I've had some strange issues too since installing. 4 flights in a row have ended due to suddenly stationary panels which evidently destroy the entire ship. And I'm playing with permadeath. Gah.

Ford 2 Minmus Flyby Failure Destroyed Bob Killed Midair Collision "Crashed into panel"

Ford 2 Minmus Flyby Failure Destroyed Jerman Killed Midair Collision "Crashed into panel"

Ford 2 Minmus Flyby Failure Destroyed James Killed Midair Collision "Crashed into panel"

Ford 2 Minmus Flyby Failure Destroyed Henvin Killed Midair Collision "Crashed into panel"

I've had some strange issues too since installing. 4 flights in a row have ended due to suddenly stationary panels which evidently destroy the entire ship. And I'm playing with permadeath. Gah.

Ford 2 Minmus Flyby Failure Destroyed Bob Killed Midair Collision "Crashed into panel"

Ford 2 Minmus Flyby Failure Destroyed Jerman Killed Midair Collision "Crashed into panel"

Ford 2 Minmus Flyby Failure Destroyed James Killed Midair Collision "Crashed into panel"

Ford 2 Minmus Flyby Failure Destroyed Henvin Killed Midair Collision "Crashed into panel"

I'm confirming this mod is the source of my bug, I have no idea if its doing yours too, I haven't had these events myself. I have no idea why this mod affects my ability to time warp, or to access the escape key menu, but there it is. With a stock install and only this mod, I get these bugs.

I'm confirming this mod is the source of my bug, I have no idea if its doing yours too, I haven't had these events myself. I have no idea why this mod affects my ability to time warp, or to access the escape key menu, but there it is. With a stock install and only this mod, I get these bugs.

Well, I sort of have that issue too. I can warp just fine with the key controls, but the Timewarp bar in the top left doesnt do anything and doesn't accurately reflect the mode it's currently in. Removing the mod and seeing if it fixes both issues. Will probably have to restart my game also, since my 7th Kerbal in a row just died. Pretty sure that's the end of a space programme.