What are you doing in KSP right now?

Clockwork13

I'm working at finding all the anomolies on the mun. So far i've found 4 markers using scansat but haven't been down to visit any. currently have a fuel depot on route to the mun with the lander standing by to launch once the station is set up. land plant flags. decide what to do with the site and return to the station for fuel... repeat! after that... on to minmus!!!

As I type this, MechJeb is orbiting the last three science probes for my Jool mission. It was going to be one large mission, but I'm splitting it up into three or more. The fuel drop pods/extra fuel tank are currently orbiting Jool, the habitat/science lab/two rovers/six probes are going to be sent in one mission and are currently under construction and will hopefully be on their way tonight, the lander/crew transfer and return vehicle(for getting to/around/from the Jool system)/possible extra fuel mission is in the planning phase.

I've been working on SCIENCE! in my RSS install and am actually having a lot of fun because it's a far more challenging game when a transfer to Duna costs @ 5km/s. The Moho Aperture Probe seen below needed about 8km/s second for the transfer; it didn't have the TMR for braking (I wouldn't have even tried, I had about one hour in Moho's SOI and needed another 8km/s to brake).

Javascript is disabled. View full album

My next task is to set up the Kethane mining operation around Pol. 9 ships are about to enter the Jool SOI, and I will need to aerobreak properly to get them there.

After that, I need to work on a better fuel transfer ship - probably a Kethane Miner/Converter which can get back into orbit, to unload fuel.

*SCIENCE!*

Hey, I used the same engine set-up on an Eve flyby ship. How's the power consumption on yours? I have to run mine at half-throttle around Kerbin to keep my charge up, and that's with 12 gigantors and a 1.25m reactor.

I'm playing around in Career mode with the Real Solar System/Realism Overhaul collection of Mods right now too. It's a whole different game with those dozen mods; immensely harder in most ways, but that just means much more satisfaction when you get things to work right. So far I've had a lot of "burned up in re-entry" issues and just managed my first safe return from orbit today after a week of trying. My current goal is to complete one of the science experiments included, returning a sample from high orbit.

Hey, I used the same engine set-up on an Eve flyby ship. How's the power consumption on yours? I have to run mine at half-throttle around Kerbin to keep my charge up, and that's with 12 gigantors and a 1.25m reactor.

It's terrible. I'm using the capacitors to supplement the eight Gigantors but even then you can only practically use six of the panels during most burns, and then only within Kerbin's apoapsis. Out by Duna, where I just sent it, the power provided by the panels is pretty bad. It can do roughly 4.5 minute burns at around 1m/s/s, so interplanetary burns take forever. The problem is only compounded by using RSS... :rolleyes: Would I do it again? No. Always use fully powered low-thrust engines, kids.

On the plus side that ship launched with some 15km/s of fuel and managed a Duna flyby and is now on its way to an Eve flyby, and it still has 4km/s left in the tanks.

Mining Kethane everywhere. I've done the Mun, Minmus, Duna, and now Eve .... which was a huge pain and I don't recommend it ever. Next trip is going to be Eeloo. I was originally going to try Moho, but I just can't get inspired for a ship design at this time. I've done a huge Jool base before, and I'll probably upgrade it to include Kethane mining at some point, but I just don't see it as a priority yet. I really want to hit the extremes: Eeloo.

In designing stages now. Instead of sending multiple crafts through the same encounter window, and doing all the juggling, I will instead design one of these enorumous juggernaut type ships and send the whole thing at once. I've got an idea and I'll try to run with it this week. Hopefully by the weekend, we'll have it at least in space.

I'm messing around with a manned return from Dres. I just got done building a massive Kethane mining colony on Minmus. I may build one on Ike as well. I don't mine Kethane until I've done a manned return so I don't rely on a Kethane crutch to figure out returns. If Dres goes well I'll head on to Jool.

Currently have a SSTO Kerbal Piloted Space Plane around Jool with a refueling ship for my attempt to fly and the land upon one of the island on Laythe then attempt to get back into space. Otherwise it will be a long wait for that poor Kerbal (if he lives that is). He already spent over a year in space alone as is.

I'm designing a (stock) long-term Duna mission. 30-ton asymmetrical rover skycrane: done. 50-ton non-nuclear transfer stage: done. 20-ton ascent vehicle with full fairing & heatshield: done. Now I just need some inspiration for the base :sticktongue:

At least 12 launches will be necessary. This is going to take a while... see you around April, people! :rolleyes:

Edited by Ravenchant

Contemplating redesigning my whole space program in career mode. Finally realized that the Mun and Minimus have WAAAAY more biomes than I thought, which is why I didn't have as much science from them as everyone else. So I need a new Mun lander (last one got stranded in orbit on return, need to rescue it), a new Minimus lander, and some science return probes for each moon just so the manned landers don't get too complex. I'm also planning a space station as an orbital hub around Kerbin for fuel tankers and crew transfers, plus a few modifications to my last interplanetary ship.

It's terrible. I'm using the capacitors to supplement the eight Gigantors but even then you can only practically use six of the panels during most burns, and then only within Kerbin's apoapsis. Out by Duna, where I just sent it, the power provided by the panels is pretty bad. It can do roughly 4.5 minute burns at around 1m/s/s, so interplanetary burns take forever. The problem is only compounded by using RSS... :rolleyes: Would I do it again? No. Always use fully powered low-thrust engines, kids.

On the plus side that ship launched with some 15km/s of fuel and managed a Duna flyby and is now on its way to an Eve flyby, and it still has 4km/s left in the tanks.

Wow, and I thought the Dyson was bad. Okay, well the first tip I think I can give is to stay away from large capacitors. Yeah, they hold more charge, but unless you really baby them a lot of that is going to be wasted on smaller engines like those Gyro-2s. Instead I'd get a lot of smaller ones all linked up to enable recharge from the same action group. That way you can discharge one or two at a time to keep your levels stable without any excess getting wasted. This is a little trick I picked up from my Jool probes. Also, it's not as much of a must for Eve or Moho, but from Kerbin on out a nuclear reactor is pretty necessary for sustained flight, even if it does have to be supplemented about a dozen Gigantors it's well worth it for the increased burn duration.

Edited by TerLoki

Finally realized that the Mun and Minimus have WAAAAY more biomes than I thought, which is why I didn't have as much science from them as everyone else.

Spamming the Mun and Minmus with return landers is the best way to get science in the game right now, although manned flybys of other planets is fairly lucrative too.

Okay, well the first tip I think I can give is to stay away from large capacitors.

On that particular ship if you crank the discharge rate down to 50% you can recharge all the batteries without waste from @ 1000 EC to near full with one capacitor while the engines are running full-blast. They work perfectly well in the role I put them in, they just weren't enough.

Also, it's not as much of a must for Eve or Moho, but from Kerbin on out a nuclear reactor is pretty necessary for sustained flight, even if it does have to be supplemented about a dozen Gigantors it's well worth it for the increased burn duration.

That probably would have helped, yeah, but I feel like the additional burn time from the reduced TMR would have ended up with about the same result. Fortunately I just unlocked the 2.5m reactor with science I gained from that ship so I might build a new one for a trip to Dres or Eeloo. In the end, though, the ship worked out okay, but I wouldn't do it like that again.

I'm trying to build a rover that can go 100+ m/s on the ground.... got it up to 117... but it has a tendency to explode.

Everything you do has a tendency to explode, I´ve seen explosions in your videos that explode after exploding.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.