[1.3.0] Ambient Light Adjustment 2.6.3.8 [09/06/2017] continued)

timmers_uk

With kind permission of @blizzy78 , and continuing on from his excellent work, I've taken on this plugin which is otherwise essentially the same as before

This is a minimalist plugin that allows to adjust the ambient lighting on the fly. This should come in handy when you can't see your docking ports because you forgot to bring lights. It should also be useful to Youtubers and streamers that want to brighten things up a bit for their viewers.

This plugin optionally supports Toolbar Plugin version >=1.7.0 (no longer bundled with the download - don't forget to grab it separately if you want it)

screenshot.png

How to Use

You have two settings you can toggle between.

• To adjust the ambient lighting in the current setting, click on the toolbar button to open the slider. Then drag the knob of the slider around. Click the toolbar button again to hide the slider.
  • To reset the ambient lighting in the current setting to KSP default levels, right-click the toolbar button.
  • To switch to the second setting, click the toolbar button using the middle mouse button. Each time you click using the middle mouse button, you toggle between those two settings.

Both settings are persisted between scene changes and KSP restarts.

Download Ambient Light Adjustment Plugin :-

Source code on GitHub: https://github.com/timmersuk/ksp_ambient_light

This mod includes version checking using MiniAVC. If you opt-in, it will use the internet to check whether there is a new version available. Data is only read from the internet and no personal information is sent. For a more comprehensive version checking experience, please download the KSP-AVC Plugin.

Change Log

2.6.3.8 - Rebuilt for KSP 1.3.0

2.6.2.7 - Applied fix for toolbar wrapper assembly parsing

2.6.1.6 - Rebuilt for KSP 1.2.0

2.5.8.5 - Rebuilt for KSP 1.1.3

2.5.7.4 - Rebuilt for KSP 1.1.2

2.5.6.4 - Rebuilt for KSP 1.1

2.5.6.3 - Added tooltips to Reset and Toggle buttons.
          Added Null pointer check around RemoveModApplication when destroying button.
          Updated assemblyinfo version.

2.5.6.2 - Changed default position when using stock toolbar. 
          Save slider position to settings.dat.

2.5.5.2 - Added buttons for toggling between setting A and B, and for resetting current setting to default ambient level.
          Fixed proliferation of spurious applicationlauncher buttons after changing scenes.

2.5.4.2 - Rebuilt for KSP 1.1.0 prerelease
          Added support for stock applauncher

1.5.4.2 - Rebuilt for KSP 1.0.5

1.4.4.2 - Rebuilt for KSP 1.0.4

[*]1.4.4.1 - Rebuilt for KSP 1.0.3

1.4.3.1 - Rebuilt for KSP 1.0.2

1.4.2.1 - Added toolbar button on spacecenter scene.

1.4.1.1 - Rebuilt for KSP 1.0.0

1.3.1.1 - Fixed incorrect mod name in AVC version file.

1.3.0.1 - Switched to timmersuk fork
        - Updated for 0.90.0
        - Switched to KSP-AVC/mini-avc for versioning - no longer retrieves current version from blizzy.de

1.2.0, 2014-08-21
- The plugin now also works in the tracking station.
- The slider will now auto-hide automatically after a few seconds of inactivity.
- The toolbar button is now only accessible in the relevant game scenes rather
  than all game scenes.

1.1.3, 2014-07-27
- The plugin now does an automatic update check, and also gets KSP versions from
  the update check server. In case the currently running KSP version is one of
  those versions, the plugin will not complain about being incompatible with this
  KSP version. This saves both players' and the plugin author's time.
- Updated for KSP 0.24.2 and Toolbar Plugin 1.7.6 (included.)

1.1.2, 2014-07-18
- Updated for KSP 0.24.1 and Toolbar Plugin 1.7.5 (included.)

1.1.1, 2014-07-18
- Updated for KSP 0.24.0 and Toolbar Plugin 1.7.4 (included.)

1.1.0, 2014-03-06
- Added the ability to toggle between the current and the previous setting by
  clicking the toolbar button using the middle mouse button.
- Both settings are now persisted between scene changes and KSP restarts.

1.0.0, 2014-03-05
- Initial public release.

The Ambient Light Adjustment plugin is licensed under the GNU GPL v3.

Edited by timmers_uk
1.3.0 rebuild

• 1 month later...

A boon for YouTubers! This came out about 2 weeks too late for me, as I've installed docking port lights on everything but I think I'll install this anyway just in case.

Nothing is less fun to watch on YouTube than a black screen with voice over. :)

To be honest, I need less light, not more :) Space on pictures has quite an eerie look, it seems as if there is only one light in a studio lighting things - the studio being space and the light being the sun.

moon17.jpg

Does it affect day light in anyway? For instance if I'm in high Kerbin orbit looking at the planet half lit I don't want to see the dark side at all. So can this mod do that without dimming the lit side? I'm with Camacha if I pass into night all I want to see is sky.

Ah, less than two hours after I asked Nova's permission to publish standalone lightshifter from Alternis. :D

But your implementation is really good. And as you volunteered to make it, suggestions:

- two sliders: one for atmosphere, another one for space;

- maybe you can do something with shadows as well? Soft shadows for atmosphere, hard shadows for space (or two more sliders), and probably higher shadow resolution (although I suspect it to be limited by Unity itself)?

Good mod. Forget Squad's cartoon mentality. And forget the youtubers. This is what a space sim should actually look like. It's dark out there.

http://i.imgur.com/HQn5hLMl.png

http://i.imgur.com/dSV2kJXs.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/7PYI20zs.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/maaWhk8s.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/SH0eb8cs.png

I was under the impression that stars in space are more vibrant because we don't have silly things like the atmosphere mudding up our sight of them?

I was under the impression that stars in space are more vibrant because we don't have silly things like the atmosphere mudding up our sight of them?

Well yes, if you float in space in the shadow of the moon with all the lights off you are going to see some nice stars. But due to all the light pollution caused by nearby bodies, the spacecraft itself and instrument lights astronauts rarely even see stars. The stars are just too faint to be visible over all these other light sources.

It's all about contrast. Hubble can certainly see more stars because of the lack of atmosphere, but if you looked out the ISS window you wouldn't see any. They are just too dim in comparison to everything else. Look out the window on an airplane. It's very black.

Well yes, if you float in space in the shadow of the moon with all the lights off you are going to see some nice stars. But due to all the light pollution caused by nearby bodies, the spacecraft itself and instrument lights astronauts rarely even see stars. The stars are just too faint to be visible over all these other light sources.
It's all about contrast. Hubble can certainly see more stars because of the lack of atmosphere, but if you looked out the ISS window you wouldn't see any. They are just too dim in comparison to everything else. Look out the window on an airplane. It's very black.

That makes...so much sense. I don't know why I never even thought of that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.