The ARM megathread

KvickFlygarn87

The claw must have some kind of joint or hinge. If not I don't know how I can line up a ship with the asteroids CoM. If I don't hit the right spot any applied forces will make the asteroid spin instead of changing its velocity.

I'm curious what Squad has in mind about this.

The claw must have some kind of joint or hinge. If not I don't know how I can line up a ship with the asteroids CoM. If I don't hit the right spot any applied forces will make the asteroid spin instead of changing its velocity.

I'm curious what Squad has in mind about this.

I'm thinking at least one of the new parts is an engine with a wide gimbal range. As long as you can get the CoM within that range, it should be fine.

Plus, IIRC the target point on the navball for a single part is its CoM, it might be as simple as aligning the ship with the marker and closing to claw range.

I believe you're thinking of Kerbal Attachment System, last time I installed Infernal Robotics they only had hinges and the like.

This is it, gentlemen. I've reached the point where I have so many mods that I forget which parts belong to which.

I assume the next stage of this disorder involves confusing mod parts with stock parts.

This is it, gentlemen. I've reached the point where I have so many mods that I forget which parts belong to which.

I assume the next stage of this disorder involves confusing mod parts with stock parts.

Install partatlog.

I hope .23.5 will feature improved part-to-part joints.

I'm pretty sure they said this is part of the 0.24 update/upgrade. I think C7 stronger joints was possible due to a Unity update, and therefore it seems more likely to be part of the next full update, not the ARM mission, which sounds to be just parts and asteroids.

I'm actually curious whether there will be something to help discover asteroids. IMO it would be great if there would be telescopes that you can install in orbits around planets and moons and that add a few % to the probability of discovering asteroids that you can then follow in the tracking station. At least thats how i would have done the discovery part.

Other than that the arm might be nice. Will probably work on a new set of base modules that are positioned by crane with the arm.

And the other stuff, especially 5m+ rocket parts? To say it in Jeb's words: "The bigger rockets weren't entirely necessary to get here". I would have liked other stuff or consolidation of the stock part chaos a lot better than unnecessary new parts.

I totally agree that this is a great way to introduce space telescope into the game. Rowsdower stated:

"The asteroids appear in the solar system as they’re “spotted†near Kerbin."

The devs could add telescopes/sensors that could extend the range of detection when placed into orbit. If put into orbit around other bodies, it could allow the detection of asteroids in the belt (e.g. if placed around Dres) or Trojans (if orbiting Jool).

anyone know if there is a ROBOTIC arm as part of ARM to go with the "claw"? yes, I know there is infernal robotics, yes I have used it, and I detest it, which is why I hope to Jebediah that ARM has well a robotic arm in it like canadarm for example. yes, I am also aware of another mod that has the canadarm, but that mod requires IR and again, I detest IR.

I don't really get why people are so gung-ho about getting a robot arm for ARM, it's not like it'll be useful for it.

I'm not saying I don't want one, I'd absolutely love to have one, I just don't see what you'd use it for on this particular mission.

What's so detestable about IR?

There's nothing wrong with it. Developers just don't want to re-implement things which are already available before they implement things that are not available yet.

HarvesteR mentioned they changed a lot of things in the core of the game in order to make asteroids rendezvous user friendly. Hopefully that means at least some of bugs and deficiencies in the conic patch system will get fixed with the ARM update.

To be blunt? Its not exactly cooperative at times, as in i can place telescopic arm C then set B on it but A utterly refuses to sit. Also it feels more blunt object than fine scalpel. These are a few of my issues but suffice to say im not fond of it

There's nothing wrong with it. Developers just don't want to re-implement things which are already available before they implement things that are not available yet.

Then why are they adding parts larger than 2.5m when novapunch has 3+-5m covered?

Edited by Vanamonde

*posting via phone hence double posts*

Then why are they adding parts larger than 2.5m when novapunch has 3+-5m covered?

It is just a small overlap, just like when we got rover wheels. The real change was the game code, terrain and collision mechanics supporting and behaving nicely with wheel parts. Obviously SQUAD had to add stock-wheels as well, even though there already were mod-wheels.

The bigger parts in the ARM update are required/desired in the spirit of cooperation with NASA: NASA mission + NASA parts (huge brand and PR boon) Making those parts 'bigger than anything before' is good for PR (ALL game media covering the KSP-ARM thing mention 'biggest fuel tanks EVAH!!!'). And it is just a great excuse perfect chance to 'stockify' something many people already think should be stock. (something that was previously regarded as not important enough, since there is stuff like science and contracts to code)

There are apparently some changes coming that not everybody will like. For instance ion engines are getting thrust boost.

If I don't like it, I'll just ModuleManager it away :D

One of the greatest things about KSP is that you can change the rules so easily. It reminds me of a boardgame, where you are reading the rule booklet and say: "you know what, I don't like this rule, let's just play it differently" and the whole group agrees to do so. What Squad ships officially is just one way to play the game, an official recommendation maybe but not the only way. For me, KSP is a sandbox within a sandbox - I often spend more time an evening tweaking config files to try something new than I spend actually playing the game.

And if someone thinks that's boring and stupid, the cool thing is: that someone can play exactly by the rules Squad has set no problem! Everybody wins! :)

I'm greatly looking forward to the next two updates... .24 almost moreso than the ARM pack. Because the contract system will add so much room for new gameplay, both stock and custom.

Edited by Streetwind

I'm pretty sure they said this is part of the 0.24 update/upgrade. I think C7 stronger joints was possible due to a Unity update, and therefore it seems more likely to be part of the next full update, not the ARM mission, which sounds to be just parts and asteroids.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/254-Squadcast 24:05 MaxMaps says big parts are only possible because of new joint system, Harv seems to agree. Interesting.