Distribtion Methods for "Amalgamated" Ships

Tiberion

That is, coherent ships made from parts drawn from a variety of mod packs.

A great example of this is foamyesque\'s Apollo 13 mod, which was pieced together from a lot of different mods. He extensively modded the configs on most parts, and as such had to redistribute the parts folders.

There have been a few releases lately where an author did this sort of thing, with an important difference; Foamy asked permission (as best he could) from the authors before redistributing them. And in his case, it was important to be able to distribute them due to the edits.

However, other authors just making a craft and zipping up the required parts is troublesome, and not only due to permissions issues. Since you have to add parts to the Parts folder, you might be overwriting a newer version with an older version. Renaming part names or folder isn\'t much better, UNLESS its an edited part (in which case a new Name and Folder MUST be used)

In the cases without config edits, it should just be the .craft file and a list of mods required to use it. And when releasing config edits, its important to get authors\' permission first.

Do we need a new set of rules in the Spacecraft or Projects forums detailing this? It would surely be an aid to new users (example to avoid pitfalls on what is an otherwise fantastic project.

Disclaimer: I am not making this request out of worry about infringement of my work, I will gladly give permission if asked, about things I \'own\' (and I cannot give permission on most of the NovaPunch parts anyway, as they aren\'t mine) - its definitely more worry about the fragmented parts folders.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.